1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Iris' VA Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by BestWish16, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Ememew

Ememew Emerald Mew

Sabonea didn't "make a mistake" so much as worded the phrase oddly. He said "nobody doesn't want" which technically means people may actually want this to occur (which is what was intended).

However, since people tend to incorrectly use "double negatives" to say they don't want something, I can see where the confusion would occur.

The intent of the words was to say that people are not against the idea, the actual phrasing was confusing.

Hope this helps.

2. garfield15

garfield15 Digi/Pokemon lover

Hi. Another black fan here. koolayray, did you even read the post? Nothing he said indicated hostility at all. More importantly, what are you even doing? If you really had a problem with the post or anything, why didn't you just report it or take it to PM'ing instead of cluttering the board with this nonsense. Let's get back to discussing Iris' english voice please.

3. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

You mean the fact that she's not voiced by a Black female? Some support system OUR people have. SMH

4. Togekiss•Torchic

Togekiss•Torchic Aaaaaaah~♫

So it's been confirmed who her Vioce actress is in Pokemon Black and White +.+ ?

5. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

Some white chick named Eileen Stevens.

6. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

And...your point being? Ash isn't voiced by a Japanese person, let alone a male. It really doesn't matter what race the VA for Iris is, as long as they can capture the childish manner in which Iris acts - which, from what we have heard so far, has been relatively achieved.

7. Togekiss•Torchic

I don't really see the bug deal if it bothers you so much don't watch the anime

8. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

9. Togekiss•Torchic

I don't think it's gonna make a big difference..... my opinion has changed a bit but still a few people (or hundreds) not watching the show will not make them change the voice actress..

10. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

I don't think the kiddies will care.

11. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

But it would show how racist they are as an entity.

12. Togekiss•Torchic

I don't think they're racist i just want to watch the show...:(

13. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

Or how they - along with the majority of the world - couldn't care less as to what race Iris' VA is, so long as the VA can act.

14. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

As Brotha Doug said on that blog, I can't wait for him to create his cartoon or comic book one day.

15. Ememew

Ememew Emerald Mew

I agree with koolayray to an extent. If there is indeed a disproportionate amount of "white" voice actors as opposed to minority groups, then there is a potential race issue in the voice-acting industry. Having not done any research on this matter, I do not know whether this is the case or not.

However, in my opinion hiring voices based on the race of the character they're voicing would do nothing to help this issue. Why should any voice actor be limited in their characters by what they look like in real life? Especially since there are so many lighter-skinned characters in anime, wouldn't that unnecessarily preclude good voice actors that don't match that demographic's skin tone? In a perfect world, neither the skin color of the character nor the voice actor would matter in the selection of a character's voice.

Why am I getting involved in this?

16. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

My thing was there's not enough BLACK VA's. The most recent one I heard was Andrew Love who plays JERSO on the new FMA: BROTHERHOOD.

17. Togekiss•Torchic

To prove a point despite the fact problems on the internet never get solved

18. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

There's not enough voice actors. Period. And most of them are based in Texas, so TCPI - New York based - only has a small selection to choose from. However, even still, having a black VA voice a black character simply for being black is the wrong way of going about choosing the best VA to use.

Also, Andrew Love is white. Just pointing that out.

19. Ememew

Ememew Emerald Mew

So the main issue you want to point out is the lack of diversity among voice actors overall, not whether a specific character is voiced by a person who resembles them somehow. I agree with this point.

Has Cilan's VA been announced yet?

EDIT: Again, more diversity would help, but it should not be limited to the appearance of the character being voiced.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  20. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

No, and we haven't had a sample of his voice yet either.