1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Iris' VA Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by BestWish16, Feb 5, 2011.

1. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

How come you all don't want IRIS to be voiced by an African-American?

2. Sabonea_Masukippa

Sabonea_Masukippa Well-Known Member

Nobody doesn't want her to be voiced by an African-American, however, since she isn't African or American, there are other possibilities to consider.

Also, still waiting on the interview where the designer said she was based on a 'black child'.

3. ShinyShelgon

ShinyShelgon rawr.

I just found this for those of you who haven't seen it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjympmnuY80

I imagined Iris to be super high-pitched, annoyingly so! So I'm kinda glad they went with a more mature-sounding voice actor.

4. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

So, I take it you hate Black people? Here's the article http://pokebeach.com/2010/08/clear-scans-of-august-corocoro-leaking. & a blog from BROTHA DOUG http://cdouglas90.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/open-letter-to-the-pokemon-company-international/

5. Sabonea_Masukippa

Excuse me?

How presumptuous of you.

Show me anything that I said that shows I 'hate' black people. I'll wait.
    And no where does it say that she's based on a 'black child', your words, not mine.

6. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

Until further notice, Iris is an ambiguously brown Unovian.

7. Sabonea_Masukippa

Which was exactly my point in saying that Iris in neither African nor American, she is Unovan and (surprise) she is only slightly darker than I am, and lighter than many of my relatives, despite us having no recent African ancestors (Sri Lankan, if you must know).

8. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

The tone of your response shows it. The way you said "We don't want her to be voiced by an African-American". That kinda hurts my feelings. As a Black fan, I'm highly offended.

9. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

He never said that he said nobody here is saying they don't want her to be voiced by a African American.

10. Sabonea_Masukippa

I actually never said that, so. Yeah.

11. JD

JD .

He never said "We don't want her to be voiced by an African-American" I don't know what your talking about I'm black too but I'm not offended. Anyway isn't Iris already confirmed to be voiced by Eileen Stevens Lyra's VA and Zorua's? They sounded pretty similar when I heard Iris during the small Cartoon Network preview.

12. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

I do believe you were not in the conversation.

13. 1rkhachatryan

Well this is rude I was just trying to clear up some confusion.

14. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

Yes you did. "Nobody doesn't want her to be voiced by an African-American, however, since she isn't African or American, there are other possibilities to consider."

I think you all should really read Brotha Doug's blog on this whole situation. He even defends Asians not being main characters in Airbender movie. http://cdouglas90.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/open-letter-to-the-pokemon-company-international/

15. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

Apologies my friend. I was speaking out of anger.

16. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

How do I know you're Black? I get tired of people posting that on the internet. Show a pic or something.

17. Sabonea_Masukippa

Let me rephrase:

'No person here is saying that they don't want Iris to be voiced by an African-American actress. However, as Iris is Unovan and not African or American and her background is ambiguous, there is no reason to suppose that she should, or that everyone should want/expect her to be voiced by an African-American.'

18. 1rkhachatryan

lol he made a mistake it was a typo also don't double or triple post it is against the rules. You have to wait till someone makes a post before you post.

19. Togekiss•Torchic

Togekiss•Torchic Aaaaaaah~♫

I agree with this and also koolayray you seemed to be offended easily by something why not just end it and not say things to make it worse :(

20. koolayray

koolayray Active Member

Have any of you seen the show THE BOONDOCKS? I'm just fighting for respect among the anime community. The Boondocks may be American made, but still shows a liking to Black anime.