• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris' VA Discussion

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Sabonea didn't "make a mistake" so much as worded the phrase oddly. He said "nobody doesn't want" which technically means people may actually want this to occur (which is what was intended).

However, since people tend to incorrectly use "double negatives" to say they don't want something, I can see where the confusion would occur.

The intent of the words was to say that people are not against the idea, the actual phrasing was confusing.

Hope this helps.

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
Hi. Another black fan here. koolayray, did you even read the post? Nothing he said indicated hostility at all. More importantly, what are you even doing? If you really had a problem with the post or anything, why didn't you just report it or take it to PM'ing instead of cluttering the board with this nonsense. Let's get back to discussing Iris' english voice please.

koolayray

Hi. Another black fan here. koolayray, did you even read the post? Nothing he said indicated hostility at all. More importantly, what are you even doing? If you really had a problem with the post or anything, why didn't you just report it or take it to PM'ing instead of cluttering the board with this nonsense. Let's get back to discussing Iris' english voice please.

You mean the fact that she's not voiced by a Black female? Some support system OUR people have. SMH

Togekiss•Torchic

Aaaaaaah~♫
So it's been confirmed who her Vioce actress is in Pokemon Black and White +.+ ?

GaZsTiC

Alternating
You mean the fact that she's not voiced by a Black female? Some support system OUR people have. SMH

And...your point being? Ash isn't voiced by a Japanese person, let alone a male. It really doesn't matter what race the VA for Iris is, as long as they can capture the childish manner in which Iris acts - which, from what we have heard so far, has been relatively achieved.

Togekiss•Torchic

Aaaaaaah~♫
I don't think it's gonna make a big difference..... my opinion has changed a bit but still a few people (or hundreds) not watching the show will not make them change the voice actress..

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I don't think it's gonna make a big difference..... my opinion has changed a bit but still a few people (or hundreds) not watching the show will not make them change the voice actress..

I don't think the kiddies will care.

Togekiss•Torchic

Aaaaaaah~♫
I don't think they're racist i just want to watch the show...:(

Ememew

Emerald Mew
I agree with koolayray to an extent. If there is indeed a disproportionate amount of "white" voice actors as opposed to minority groups, then there is a potential race issue in the voice-acting industry. Having not done any research on this matter, I do not know whether this is the case or not.

However, in my opinion hiring voices based on the race of the character they're voicing would do nothing to help this issue. Why should any voice actor be limited in their characters by what they look like in real life? Especially since there are so many lighter-skinned characters in anime, wouldn't that unnecessarily preclude good voice actors that don't match that demographic's skin tone? In a perfect world, neither the skin color of the character nor the voice actor would matter in the selection of a character's voice.

Why am I getting involved in this?

koolayray

I agree with koolayray to an extent. If there is indeed a disproportionate amount of "white" voice actors as opposed to minority groups, then there is a potential race issue in the voice-acting industry. Having not done any research on this matter, I do not know whether this is the case or not.

However, in my opinion hiring voices based on the race of the character they're voicing would do nothing to help this issue. Why should any voice actor be limited in their characters by what they look like in real life? Especially since there are so many lighter-skinned characters in anime, wouldn't that unnecessarily preclude good voice actors that don't match that demographic's skin tone? In a perfect world, neither the skin color of the character nor the voice actor would matter in the selection of a character's voice.

My thing was there's not enough BLACK VA's. The most recent one I heard was Andrew Love who plays JERSO on the new FMA: BROTHERHOOD.

Togekiss•Torchic

Aaaaaaah~♫

To prove a point despite the fact problems on the internet never get solved

GaZsTiC

Alternating
My thing was there's not enough BLACK VA's. The most recent one I heard was Andrew Love who plays JERSO on the new FMA: BROTHERHOOD.

There's not enough voice actors. Period. And most of them are based in Texas, so TCPI - New York based - only has a small selection to choose from. However, even still, having a black VA voice a black character simply for being black is the wrong way of going about choosing the best VA to use.

Also, Andrew Love is white. Just pointing that out.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
So the main issue you want to point out is the lack of diversity among voice actors overall, not whether a specific character is voiced by a person who resembles them somehow. I agree with this point.

Has Cilan's VA been announced yet?

EDIT: Again, more diversity would help, but it should not be limited to the appearance of the character being voiced.

Last edited: