• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris VS Clair! The Road to Dragon Master! (BWDASP2)

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Well I feel its the right outcome because unlike Ash who is a full time trainer, she isn't. Her goal is to just become a Dragon Master i.e., someone who is able to understand the heart of a Dragon type pokemon and fully utilize there hidden strength.

Unlike Ash or Clair who constantly train there pokemon in order to gain power and be a challenge, Iris just focuses on bringing out the hidden strength of her Dragon types. So, since she doesn't train her pokemon in equal amount to Ash or Clair, the outcome should be what we got today.

This is more proven by the fact that Dragonite again didn't listen to Iris during this battle, which means that she hadn't worked much with Dragonite and sorted out his problems since she left Ash (well it depends on the fact on how many days it has been since she left him).

One thing i found a bit irritating about Iris's character is that her constant notion that Dragon Type Pokemons can't be Bad or do Wrong. The way she says it makes me think that she believe that the other type pokemon can do bad things but a Dragon type can't.

I don't get why you're assuming that Iris isn't invested in training her pokemon.. Your notions of her goal basically means that she will never use Excadrill and Emolga, because they aren't relevant to her goal.

I think your assumption, that while Iris thinks that Dragon's can't do bad - must mean that others can, is a bit off. If I say that I can jump really high, doesn't mean that others can't... It's just that I mention myself because that's what I'm concerned with. Especially in this situation in the episode. Pokemon can't do bad things (source: Jessie's Ekans), but these villagers were specifically targeting a Dragon-type, and Iris focuses on Dragon-types.. It's easy to assume that in this context she just mentions that Dragon types aren't inherently bad.. Doesn't in any logical way mean that she thinks that Fire-types or Water-types are capable of doing bad things..

I think that's just a quick quip at Iris' character.. trying to impose a limited mindset on her.

Iris lost to Clair? I guess that makes sense. It wouldn't be good if she somehow managed to beat the Clair on her First try.

I'm not happy with Iris getting a Gible of all Dragon-type Pokémon. The writers could've easily given her some other Dragon-type instead of giving the only Dragon-type Pokemon that Ash owns.

She already fought a Druddigon in Unova... Losing twice to the same species is harsh. It wouldn't have been outlandish for her to tie against Clair, especially because Clair was using a teammember she only recently caught.

Lol, Iris will come back in Kalos with a Garchomp, you can bet on that! xD

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I liked that they made rayquaza be what ho-oh was for ash.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
dragonite lose again what a surprise and some people still complaint that dragonite is to powerfull to given to iris

Well, Dragonite is too powerful when compared to most of Ash's Unova team or other non Gym Leader or Elite 4 members teams.

Also, i believe that Ash was only able to defeat Dragonite during 'PWTJC' was because it went berserk.

If it stayed in control then only Top level Pokemons of Ash's team (i.e., Charizard, Heracross, Sceptile, Infernape, Gliscor, Snorlax) could defeat it.

In this episode as well, the reason it was defeated was because it didn't listen to Iris and went out of control during which time it took too much damage (this in a way shows Iris's lack of interaction or training with it), while the amount of damage Druddigon took was quite low in comparison.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Lol, Iris will come back in Kalos with a Garchomp, you can bet on that! xD

garchomp with its mega evolution, nah i think plain garchomp is better :D

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I'm guessing that Iris will cameo later with a fully-evolved Garchomp or Gabite who evolves into Garchomp.

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
Great episode!

I wanted Lilia (Iris) to win, but at least she put up a fight.

I liked watching her bond with Gible, it was so cute how it tried to eat Axew and followed them all the way to the gym after it got saved by her. When the minute hand moved Gible into a bad position, I actually got worried, but at the same time, it was funny a bit.

I also liked when she thought of Ash and Benny (Cilan).

I missed all the BW music, especially this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg1CO3KSCYU And I missed BW's Dare Da! I didn't think a lot of it, but now that I saw it again in a new episode, I miss it more.

I can't wait for her Kalos appearance!

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well, crud. Iris shall always be cursed in losing against Druddigon. I guess that's going to be her pseudo-rival Pokemon to beat.

And I thought the pictures made it look like a tie... At least Cilan was the last main BW character to get a legit win in a battle, even if his Pansage was kind of hax against an Abomasnow.

what's with iris's face btw?

That's not the only thing I noticed.

Round Gible is a rare species.

Last edited:

Hikatoshi26

This special wasnt as good imo as Cilan's mostly cuz of Brock but it wasn't bad. I didn't like however how Iris got a Gible which is awesome but it pretty much a carbon copy of Ash's. When Khoury got his it was boastful and proud of its power and Ash's was more of a devil may care chomp chomp type but with ambitions of getting stronger. Iris's gible doesnt come off as original to me. Also Iris' Ho-oh moment was cool. I wonder how they will progress her for her cameo later in XY.

Aura24

Aww, I was hoping to see another fun clash between Claire's Dragonite and Iris's.

LOVED IT! The loss was surprising but at least it was an enjoyable lengthy battle instead of Drayden's where it lasted only like 4 minutes.

Gible is sooooooooooo cute and I'm on cloud 9 that she caught it. I wouldn't even mind if it remains a Gible when Iris makes her XY cameo.

9/10. I would've given it a perfect 10 if she won against Clair though :p

MattySadler

I didn't like however how Iris got a Gible which is awesome but it pretty much a carbon copy of Ash's. When Khoury got his it was boastful and proud of its power and Ash's was more of a devil may care chomp chomp type but with ambitions of getting stronger. Iris's gible doesnt come off as original to me.

Is this that big of a deal? If we ever do see it as a Gible again, it'll probably only be once.

Anyway, good episode I thought. Never for one minute expected Iris to beat Clair, so not too bothered about that match result. Loved the Rayquaza scene. Random legendary Pokemon just flying by are such a great source of inspiration for the people of the Pokemon World. Glad she caught a Gible as well. Just gutted Axew still hasn't evolved, and probably never will.

Sprinter1988

Well there it is. Iris and Dragonite lose again, just as I expected.
I wonder if Dragonite ever wonders if it is a mistake listening to Iris. Clearly it was better off going on its own instincts rather than doing what she says - it hasn't gotten a win since it started listening to her.
You'd think that with her special abilities of bringing out the true strength of dragon types (or whatever the hell it is she does) that Iris would get a win just once!

As usual Excadrill and Emolga get shafted. She might as well just give those two away to someone else as she clearly has no use for them anymore.

Axew was Axew - not a good thing.

And Iris catches a Gible...
In Johto...
... yeah...
For f***'s sake! Was it too difficult to give her something not already owned by one of the main cast? Seriously this p****d me off when May did it, it P****d me off when Dawn did it and now Iris has done it as well.
They could have given her Deino, Druddigon, Kingdra, Shelgon, Vibrava or Altaria and instead they fall back on one we've seen plenty of before.

I'm glad that the train-wreck that was the Best Wishes series is now officially completely over and I am immensely glad that we've only got her mandatory 3-5 episode return to endure and then Iris will be gone forever as well!

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well there it is. Iris and Dragonite lose again, just as I expected.
I wonder if Dragonite ever wonders if it is a mistake listening to Iris. Clearly it was better off going on its own instincts rather than doing what she says - it hasn't gotten a win since it started listening to her.
You'd think that with her special abilities of bringing out the true strength of dragon types (or whatever the hell it is she does) that Iris would get a win just once!

As usual Excadrill in Emolga get shafted. She might as well just give those two away to someone else as she clearly has no use for them anymore.

Axew was Axew - not a good thing.

And Iris catches a Gible...
In Johto...
... yeah...
For f***'s sake! Was it too difficult to give her something not already owned by one of the main cast? Seriously this p****d me off when May did it, it P****d me off when Dawn did it and now Iris has done it as well.
They could have given her Deino, Druddigon, Kingdra, Shelgon, Vibrava or Altaria and instead they fall back on one we've seen plenty of before.

I'm glad that the train-wreck that was the Best Wishes series is now officially completely over and I am immensely glad that we've only got her mandatory 3-5 episode return to endure and then Iris will be gone forever as well!

She can finally make her dream of becoming Cynthia 2.0 with that Gible.

RVD_fan

It was a good battle but I didn't like how similarly structured it was to the Drayden episode. I mean, isn't it convenient for the animators that it was a battle between two Pokemon who had already fought before in an almost identical looking Gym (which looks completely different then it did when Ash was there, and now doesn't have a water component despite a lot of Claire's Pokemon being water-based). It felt like watching a pallet-swap.

There's so much potential for Iris as a character, it's a shame we don't get to see her actually grow into a Dragon Master.

Soniman

Break the Limit
There's so much potential for Iris as a character, it's a shame we don't get to see her actually grow into a Dragon Master.

Well that's the unfortunate crux of every main character in the show, whatever dreams of aspirations they have you'll probably never see it actually come to fruition unless the Pokemon Franchise croaks. I think Misty is the only one who got anything resembling her dream fulfilled.

Serebii said these words to me:

"No, they don't hate characters. Each character has a story with a beginning and an end"

So it may not be how their story plays out the way you want it, but each has their own begining and ending.

So say Misty has the better story, really?

Sprinter1988

Well that's the unfortunate crux of every main character in the show, whatever dreams of aspirations they have you'll probably never see it actually come to fruition unless the Pokemon Franchise croaks. I think Misty is the only one who got anything resembling her dream fulfilled.

Oh, I don't know. Dawn came in second place in the Sinnoh Grand Festival. Ok so she didn't win, but she was a lot closer to achieving her goal that Iris has ever been to achieving hers. May's doing well too.
Plus, Brock went to Pokemon Medical School and was apprenticing under a Pokemon Doctor when Cilan met him in their special. I'd say that Brock's well on the way to achieving that goal.