1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Iris VS Clair! The Road to Dragon Master! (BWDASP2)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Black & White - Adventures in Unova' started by Serebii, Mar 27, 2014.

1. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Then why would Misty have a Togepi? They were trying to invoke the OS and they fell flat. Face it, Ash's bad direction made everything fail. Do you think iron tail with electroball would work? Or quick attack? Or thunder bolt? All moves were resisted by Excadrill or they were immune to it. I doubt anything would have worked in that battle.

Just look at the competitive metagame. Excadrill is favored because it has a great move pool and great abilities. It is a beast in the metagame even in the hands of the most inept.

2. phanpycross

phanpycross God-king

I think comparing a fully hardened excadrill to a baby togepi would normally say enough , but eh, lets do this.

Excadrill isnt a "togepi imitation", They gave Iris a ground type (along with a electric type), because having only dragons would be boring.

And really, excadrill is one of my most used pokemon in comp. battling, and if you really think it's so easy to use, you're either the best battler in the world, or you have no clue what you're talking about (not that comparing comp. battling to the anime isnt already pointless as all hell).

3. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

To me, using Excadrill is easy. Sorry if I sound like an excessively pompous jerk.

I'm trying to say that Excadrill is a beast. (And I may have a sister who is inept in competitive battle and somehow uses Excadrill correctly)

4. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

99 win streak vs 4-league participant and BF-completion? Ehh....

The battle degenerated into plain "brute force" though. Pikachu nearly won despite the disadvantages. Excadrill was clearly exhausted by the end, and if Pikachu's Iron Tail had more power to 'win out' over Excadrill's final Drill Run, that would have given the opportunity for a finisher. Take League Pikachu or say, Vs Korrina's M-Lucario Pikachu, and Excadrill would have been overpowered honestly. It just so happened that Pikachu that day fought at that level, and that wasn't enough.

XY Ash might have done a bit more than simple attack spam. I don't know, maybe slam Iron Tail on the ground to blast out Excadrill when using Dig. Or even hitting the ground to pop some rocks, and then Thunderbolt them, to send the chunks into Excadrill (like how he defeated Grant's Tyrunt).

5. Gillachu

Gillachu Banned

Too bad her Gible looked to be an expy of Ash's Gible. How boring that it wasn't unique..

gr8 b8 m8

6. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria Shiny hunter

I liked this episode because of Iris vs Clair, who're Dragon Trainers and liked the return of Clair for another time. But slightly disappointed that Iris lost, but at least she got Gible.

7. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

To be fair we hardly saw much of his personality here. For all we know he might end up acting much differently if he shows up again. ^^;

8. Pikachu979

Pikachu979 Sinnoh Champion

I thought this was a good episode for Iris though i prefer Cilan's more. Iris loosing was understandable and her getting gible was kind of weird.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

It was awesome to see Fusube City again, and Fukamaru biting Kibago's head made me chuckle. I liked seeing Ibuki and her referee Kaburagi again too, although I felt a tad bit disappointed that Iris's Kairyu lost to Ibuki's Shiny Crimgan. Also, I'm wondering why Rayquaza was randomly flying over Jouto.

10. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

It was disappointing to see Iris's Dragonite lose yet again. Like God, this makes how many losses now?! On the other hand, I liked Rayquaza's quick little appearance at the end of the episode, Iris capturing Gible, and Kaburagi.

11. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Rei Claus

I really wished we would have learned where exactly Iris was going at the end of the episode and I would have liked to see her appear in XY.

Also her Dragonite loses yet again; ever since Iris got it to obey her it always seems to lose lol.

12. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Hmmm well Rayquaza supposedly lives in the ozone layer if I remember correctly, so it can apparently fly anywhere at any time. Then again, maybe Rayquaza's appearance at the end of this special was also a reference to Johto's Embedded Tower.

13. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

I don't think it was an Embedded Tower reference tbh, since HG/SS were no longer relevant. I think Iris just saw Rayquaza in Johto to match her love of Dragon-types.

14. NPT

NPT Just a member

3 years later...

Guess that didn't actually happen, eh? At this point, I doubt she'll EVER come back. ;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  15. SinnohEevee

SinnohEevee Well-Known Member

Seems the staff wants to show she's not competent enough for Dragonite. I don't think the like are fond of her.

16. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Don't you guys remember the Mary Sue comments on Iris from early BW? I certainly do.

I'm glad the writers treated Iris like an actual, human being that actually needs to work to achieve something. Having Dragonite magically obey her would have been crappy writing. This way, Iris can keep working with Dragonite and continue to progress as a Dragon Master.

But all of this is pointless, right? After all, AXEW DIDN'T EVOLVE SO IRIS SUCKS! :)

17. SinnohEevee

SinnohEevee Well-Known Member

Wait! Some people called her a Mary Sue? Their perception must be off.

But why does the staff make Dragonite lose when it listens to Iris? They aren't sending a good message.

18. Spyro39

Spyro39 Well-Known Member

Why was Iris called a Mary Sue? If she was a Mary Sue, she would've steamrolled through every opponent or challenges she faced.

19. Janovy

Janovy Banned

The term first started being thrown around when she won that tournament. Not only were the people furious she defeated (even though Excadrill vs Pikachu already makes the winner obvious), they started pointing out how convenient it was that Excadrill started obeying Iris JUST before the tournament, obviously so she could win it. :rolleyes:

Iris getting Dragonite didn't help. Despite Iris' actions in the episode for which Iris DESERVED to get Dragonite, she was called a Mary Sue for being handed a Dragonite "on a silver platter". Also, despite the fact Iris struggled so much for having to deal with that Dragonite, people still insisted she didn't deserve it.

Obviously, this fandom is incapable of using this term properly, so Iris was yet another case of a misused term.

Oh, and I think some people also called her a Mary Sue because she already knew a lot about Dragon types. They assumed because she wanted to be a Dragon Master she would know nothing about them, but apparently being something of an expert and knowledgeable about them made her too perfect.

And don't even get me started on the time when she beat Dawn lmao.

20. Agreed calling a character Mary Sue is a cheap way to hate a character and Iris has a lot flaws for a character like you said.The episode itself was enjoyable I really like Iris's gible he so cute through I wish Iris win the match against Clair and I was really hoping Iris would return in XY with her Gible and Axew evolve to Gabite and Fraxure but too bad that didn't happen.Overall this episode was good seeing the battle against Iris vs Clair was great and I also like Rayquaza quick appearance in this episode. I give it a 8/10.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017