• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

iris's future rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
do you REALLY have to dispute it?

honestly, we all know she is in the game, there's no reason for it to be different in the anime, she may not be yet, but all bets say she's going to be, and who really cares?

she's a fairly damn annoying character from what I've seen

Fun fact: In White, Drayden is her master (she's his apprentice...and will succeed the Gym one day..but not now)

the only reason you fight her is because he lets her do it

and that's the ONLY reason you fight her as the Gym Leader

Champion Jared 14

Well, in the games, Koga becomes an Elite Four member, and then his daughter Janine takes over the Fuschia Gym. This wasn't displayed in the anime....

Brock is a gym leader in the games, but he's a pokemon doctor now...
Gary is a pokemon researcher in the anime, while his game counterpart Blue is Gym Leader.
In the games, the Gym Leaders don't follow you on your journey, unlike the anime with Misty, Former Brock, Cilan, and potentially Iris...

The anime is loosely based on the games, so it is likely that Iris may turn out to be a gym leader, but you all need to be more patient.

kemal07

I really like Iris. Like her better than May and Misty to be honest...but that's just me.

However, I don't see her having a rival I'm afraid. I mean we don't know her aims yet. It's too soon to say.

Flygon Master54

Ahh I'm back baby
I doubt sh'll get a rival.
She could become Shaga's Apprentice at the end of the saga and promise to be stronger when ash leaves to go home. It's a good way to rid Iris without it looking bad plus she could come back in gen 6 and show ash her epic dragons.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
First off, I'm pretty sure that Iris specifically stated that Excadrill was the only other pokemon she had besides Axew; her reasoning for training Axew is to have a pokemon that actually listens to her.

As far as rivals go, perhaps she sees Drayden as sort of a rival; maybe he defeated her in battle, and so she went on her journey to become a stronger trainer so she could return to Opelucid City and defeat him.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I doubt sh'll get a rival.
She could become Shaga's Apprentice at the end of the saga and promise to be stronger when ash leaves to go home. It's a good way to rid Iris without it looking bad plus she could come back in gen 6 and show ash her epic dragons.

No, that's a bad way to get rid of Iris.. The thing that I found lacking between Ash and Dawn is that they haven't had a final battle whatsoever.. They seemed totally dislodged from eachother.

Ash and Iris have already fought on a couple occasions, so it would be fitting to see Ash and Iris fight for the last gym badge.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
No, that's a bad way to get rid of Iris.. The thing that I found lacking between Ash and Dawn is that they haven't had a final battle whatsoever.. They seemed totally dislodged from eachother.

Ash and Iris have already fought on a couple occasions, so it would be fitting to see Ash and Iris fight for the last gym badge.

Ash and Dawn were about working together and supporting each other, hence their final Pikachu/Piplup team up against TR.

The Ash/Dawn dynamic was treated as if they were almost siblings supporting each other on their quest. This is why Dawn was made the most similar to Ash of all the other girls.

Misty and Iris have more confrontations with him due to their nature, and May was more like his student.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Ash and Dawn were about working together and supporting each other, hence their final Pikachu/Piplup team up against TR.

The Ash/Dawn dynamic was treated as if they were almost siblings supporting each other on their quest. This is why Dawn was made the most similar to Ash of all the other girls.

Misty and Iris have more confrontations with him due to their nature, and May was more like his student.

Then that would support my reasoning that Ash and Iris shouldn't part ways before having a battle to settle their scores right? As that is in the nature of their relationship (non-shipping).

Yankees4life

RONALDO!!!
I don't find her annoying at all. She is in fact my favorite character.

she also seems to be the modern OS-Misty, just a lil nicer, tho

Teshub

Banned
Then that would support my reasoning that Ash and Iris shouldn't part ways before having a battle to settle their scores right? As that is in the nature of their relationship (non-shipping).

Ash and Iris don't have anything close to a rivalry. Iris doesn't compete, doesn't do gyms, so she is there only to support Ash from the sidelines and have Axew battle here and there. The writers can make a "one last battle for old times sake" sequence, but I don't believe its "mandatory" at all. With Dawn it was different because her role was more defined. Even her theme "by your side" pretty much said she was going to get ahead in her goals while traveling with her partner.

And maybe to shake things up, why not have Cilan as Iris' final battle in the anime?

Dax

Legend
I like her rival screentime, he's a b*tch to her.

But seriously, I doubt there's anything planned for her. So far, I feel as if she's there because they needed a girl. I find her character to be full of potential but there's a lack of dedication to show it.

Ravenous14

Elite Trainer
Fun fact: In White, Drayden is her master (she's his apprentice...and will succeed the Gym one day..but not now)

the only reason you fight her is because he lets her do it

and that's the ONLY reason you fight her as the Gym Leader

what the HELL are you talking about?

I'm not fighting anything, I'm saying she's a gym leader in the game, there's no reason to say she wouldn't or COULDN'T become a gym leader

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
Considering how her Axew is building a rivalry against Scraggy, I can see a final battle between Ash and Iris with them being used.

pokemon fan 132

I agree,Ash and Iris already had few clashes and some spark which could invoke rivarly between them being nice set up to have Ash battle her.Ash battled in serious match against any girl at least once so it would be nice if this tradition could be followed.

I guess their battle could come around during 8th gym since by that time both trainers will already have developed pokemon teams with Iris having some chance to match him up.

But seriously, I doubt there's anything planned for her. So far, I feel as if she's there because they needed a girl. I find her character to be full of potential but there's a lack of dedication to show it.

I think her screentime will come around when episodes about Axew and Team Plasma comes atound since she has some role about them in games.And screentime during 8th gym is pretty much a given.

But i agree she has potential as character which is not being utilized.Reminds me of Misty who also had lot of potential which was never used.

Last edited:

pokeaussie37

Considering how her Axew is building a rivalry against Scraggy, I can see a final battle between Ash and Iris with them being used.

Would be awesome to see Fraxure or dare I say it Haxorus up against Scrafty! I think it'd make for a great match. Fraxure I would say is more likely given that dragons typically take a long time to evolve, but if the writers want Iris to achieve her Haxorus goal, well yeah. Around the 8th Gym, or as a final battle would be great. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been any Iris-centric eps yet, so surely there are some to come given Cilan has had a couple, with another one coming in BW 26.

As for the topic on Iris' rivals, I don't really know, I see Drayden as more of a master. But possibly, and this is a stretch, but maybe CHEREN could be Iris' rival? :O Given that there's been no trace of him yet. We know that Ash has Trip has a rival, and Bianca is supposedly appearing in BW 26, so she obviously won't be just a CotD. If Ash does have those two as rivals (consider their powerhouses, Serperior = Trip, Emboar = Bianca, Samurott = Ash, hopefully), the starter trio is complete. And unless they want to increase the rival amount from Paul and Barry, they may just stay with those two. Cheren could be an extremely skilled trainer or something, appears somewhere around the 4th/5th gym for example, and become a rival to Iris. I would think Cheren will appear at some point given Bianca has, so Cheren has a wide-ranging potential.

Teshub

Banned
Iris does not need a rival. She has another role to fill in the show. As for Cilan's rival, that's just because the guy sidekick (Brock,Tracey) were always treated with less care compared to the female, so now they are giving Cilan more focus, and he is very popular, that is all.
Also, I would find it terribly boring if we had another rival when the ones that are currently there arent that significant to begin with.

GalladeX

That would be so cool! Ho for God sake I hope that the writers will read what you wrote! I would like that rivalry to appear in the show.

It would be an interesting dynamic, wouldn't it?

Here's Iris, who's whole life revolves around Dragon-types, yet she's stuck with an Axew that hasn't evolved yet.

Then Cheren comes along with his Haxorus, something that, in the games, he has all of a sudden with no warning.

It would more than likely make Iris unsure of herself, and, even more likely, really pissed and jealous.

Iris does not need rivals, in my opinion. Battles, yes, but not rivals. I really enjoy the fact that Iris is not an over the top character. Some may say she does not do much, but she does enough for me to be satisfied. I just wish that dang Mole would show up more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.