• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is 4th gen under appreciated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well, HGSS are absolutely brilliant. They have amazing music (Route 47 people!) and they have a lot of stuff to do aftergame. B/W1 were bland aftergame because there wasn't as much to enjoy. Sure, the ending was cool, but the rest wasn't too good later on.

wolf1095

Grass Type Trainer
I personally love the IV generation pokemon and games. It is my favorite generation. For me, my favorites are 1) Gen IV 2) V 3) III 4) I 5) II in that order. And despite hardly playing Gen V at all, I find it to be one of my favorites after IV. But I do agree that IV is quite underappreciated, but I think V is more put down over all. But that's my opinion.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
It's just like any generation. It has its ups and downs. I like the physical and special split, but don't really like the region. I don't like the pokedex in DP, but I love the additions in Pt.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I didn't mind Gen VI as a whole but Sinnoh just felt sort of... bland and cold to me. Maybe it's just me but HG/SS just felt like they had a kind of warmth and charm that D/P/Pt were missing.
Nevertheless I did enjoy D/P/Pt a lot.

Jaguartail

I enjoyed Diamond but it seems kind of bland and repetitive - SoulSilver on the other hand seems to have much more of a 'charm' to it, plus I like the fact that you don't have to fight the gym leaders in order.

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
I liked Platinum WAY MORE than I liked HG/SS.

Shadow XD001

I don't think 4th Generation is under appreciated. It's because we are now in 5th Generation, so that's everyone's main focus. I'm sure people go back and play the older games, myself included.

Legendarys

Anonymous
I think it IS under appreciated. But Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 release is getting everyones main focus, so D/P/Pt is kinda far behind.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I guess it's kinda underappreciated, but it's my second favorite region, after Hoenn.
I grew up with Diamond, and most pokemon in there are in my top 10.

5sniperwolf

ToxicFlame-Breeder
Hoenn was more under appreciated, and Black/White versions were hollow after you finish them (at least to me) HG/SS are very awesome (probably I think it because with I grew with G/S/C and Red/Blue/yellow) So I must say I loved that you can rematch the gym leaders, also in platinum version though I felt it a little slower than HG, So I stick with HG rather than my Black version, besides on 4th gen you get amazing pokemons such as electrivire, garchomp, spiritomb, LUCARIO, Luxray, Staraptor, Toxicroak

wadledee12

Master of Dugtrio
4th gen was AMAZING

To be honest, 4th gen was my favorite (smack next to 2nd), Pokemon Pearl was my first game soon before I got a used Emerald.
People say that 3rd gen was the best but I couldn't disagree more, 4gen was great and I LOVED the Gold and Silver remakes, amongst my friends, 4 gen isn't under appreciated because I was born in 1998 and me (and my friends) all got Pokemon in 2007.

;392;

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I would agree that Gen IV has been shoved under the bus a bit. While Gen V introduced a lot of cool things, a lot of those are a bi-product of Gen IV. Maybe it's just me but I wasn't too fond of BW story line, pokemon and the region itself. It just seemed to bland and dry. However with Gen IV I felt like we got a lot of variety. However Gen IV also had HGSS remakes to add to that were as I have yet to play BW2 as I didn't import this time around and we have yet to get a Hoenn remake to possibly add to Gen V to flush it out.

Crasher

I thought Diamond and Pearl were great additions to the series. HeartGold and SoulSilver were excellent remakes. But that's my opinion, I'm not sure of the general opinion on Gen IV.

Ammako

Platinum was my favourite Pokémon game... until Black 2 and White 2 came out.
These took Platinum's place as the greatest in my eyes.

Black 2 and White 2 essentially fixed all that was wrong with Black/White, IMO.

Swagsire

Honestly, I think the problem with Black/White was that there was very little lasting appeal compared to past games. I mean, people SWEAR the lasting appeal compares to D/P, but I don't think it even compared to R/B. I mean, B/W had really cool Pokemon, amazing graphics, and a deeper story. But there was nothing to look forward to. Just more of the same the entire game. They spent too much time on battling and exploring, and not enough on other things. They have one diversion outside of battling, and it's complete fail. Unless you count all the stuff you can do ONLY if you have online on your DS, which not everyone has. Honestly, I think it was the things to do outside of Battling that made Platinum/HG/SS/Emerald so fun. Like if you wanted to take a break from battling, you could do all sorts of things. And I thought digging up fossils, playing the super contests, making poffins, attending the Pokeathelon, making secret bases, as well as other things was fun. Black/White didn't have any of that, and the sad thing is that Black2/White2 isn't going to have much either, despite people saying the second games generally have a lot more stuff. Again, Black2/White2 seems too focused on battling and exploring, and not focused enough on the lasting appeal. I mean, the Pokemon World Tournament sounds fun, I guess, but I'm more interested in the mono-type challenges more than anything else. Pokewood/Pokestar doesn't sound much better than Pokemon Musical, which... I cannot believe Game Freak thought the Pokemon Musical was a good idea. Collecting Medals is basically the only thing to do besides battling, and I'm not sure that is even going to count. (Pokewood/Pokestar is still mostly battling.) I mean, yes I get it, Battling is the point of the game. But like I said, it was the things you could do outside of battling that gave Pokemon its lasting appeal.

Honestly, at first Black/White just wasn't my favorite Pokemon game. But honestly, the unruly fans for the game make me dislike it, almost hate the game(If it wasn't for the cool monsters). Too many fans I know for Black and White come up with endless excuses as to why the lack of lasting appeal is absolutely justified, and act like their opinions are facts and that you aren't entitled to your opinion. Bronies and Mario Fans are more understanding than them, really.

Did you seriously just say it didn't stand up to R/B in lasting appeal? My lord. The list is simple. CATCH EM ALL. Black and White just seems boring because musicals give you nothing special and there isn't 1294832934 billion unique battle "Generic place"'s to entertain you with low attention spans. Don't hate the game because of the players, when they don't even matter

Overall I found gen 4 lacking myself. HG/SS Was fun, but..I could have done without D/P. Platinum played much more smoothly and I truthfully had a hard time going through Pearl due to the slowwwwww storyyyyyyy...a...a....a...a. Qwaa ;195;

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Gen 4> All other generations IMO

Diamond was my first ever game after I restarted Pokemon. It proved to be a fun game.
Platinum was my second game after restarting. Platinum brought so many new factors into account: New Pokemon Pre-Nat Dex, Battle Frontier, Old and Returning Pokemon, Top Trainer Cafe etc
Heart Gold was my third game. It was great man! My favourite part was Lanturn, and I restarted after Feraligatar as my starter. Just went on and got Lanturn. Honestly, I like Pt and HG equally

So when Black came out, I wasn't to pleased about the "no-nostalgic-pokemon-in-the-dex", and I didn't even bother trying it.
My brother told me 2 months ago, that BW2 is coming out in Japan. So I decided to get back again and try it.

I'm currently holding Black 2 on my hands lol

blackterminator3

I don't feel that Generation 4 was under appreciated. I think it was a great Generation for the new fans of that time. I still play Platinum and Heart Gold.

Mattykins

Porkchop
I do like a lot of the things Gen IV brought to the game e.g. the Physical/Special split, a few of the new Pokemon, and the idea of a snowy route/town. It really is a great game, and it's a shame a lot of people rag on it. I do like other gens more, but I do like Gen IV. It has its appeal to me, and I take what I can get :3

Status
Not open for further replies.