• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is 4th gen under appreciated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
i can see how generation 4 is under appreciated. but it was worst with generation 3, hoenn is smallest region, plus it just wasn't as exciting as kanto!

Actually Hoenn is probably the biggest region there is when it comes to the mainstream games. You didn't count the water routes there. And you may think it wasn't as exciting as Kanto, but I thought it was a really interesting region. Sure, the surfing was long and tedious at times, but it gave it the illusion of a really big region, and it was fun getting lost on the way to the island cities.

Anyhoo...

I think the third generation is more under-appreciated due to it having lower sales when it first came out due to the craze dying down, though it has gained in popularity over the years. Generation IV probably went through the same phase until HeartGold/SoulSilver was announced. I never touched any of the Sinnoh games until recently, so I can see the under-appreciation, but that was mainly because I didn't have a DS at the time, and I was a bit iffy with the newer Pokémon for a little bit. They eventually grew on me, so I wanted to learn more about the Sinnoh Pokémon, I just didn't have the access like most other people probably did.

I could be wrong, but the DS came out around the same time Diamond and Pearl was being released, right? *looks* Oh, it had a couple of years, though I wonder if it was created with Diamond and Pearl in mind. But anyway, I don't think sales for the DS peaked until after Diamond/Pearl came out, maybe, so I'm gonna have to guess the four-year gap between Generation III and IV was part of the cause. Who really knows, but it's been gaining more and more positive feedback in later years, at least when it comes to Platinum. I've heard mixed feelings with Black and White, but when it came to Diamond and Pearl, people have been pretty happy with it, and I can see why.

Last edited:

Ammako

Actually Hoenn is probably the biggest region there is when it comes to the mainstream games. You didn't count the water routes there. And you may think it wasn't as exciting as Kanto, but I thought it was a really interesting region. Sure, the surfing was long and tedious at times, but it gave it the illusion of a really big region, and it was fun getting lost on the way to the island cities.

Aren't you kinda... admitting that Hoenn wasn't big by saying it was only an illusion?

empoleon49

Dawn's number 1 fan™
Fourth Gen and Third Gen are both very unappreciated, but in reality, they are some of the finest games Pokemon has to offer! Hoenn and Sinnoh were both fun to explore and I loved the designs of the Pokemon! Gen V is awesome, but a little ovverated IMO. Gen 4 and Gen 3 deserve much more credit!

Durbe

I'm tired
Unfortunately, it is. To be honest, I actually dropped Pokemon when D/P/Pt were released. I only popped back in during the HGSS remake because /remakes of my first games/.
I say a likely case is because Pokemon might have been getting boring for a lot of people. The new features in B/W, from what I noticed, grabbed a lot of people's attention and that's how they returned.
So I think it's just the content and features, not the generation itself?

I don't think it is. I love 4th gen, especially SoulSilver & HeartGold.

Blue Cat

I actually find myself playing my Pearl version more often than not... I just ordered a new copy of SS, and I'm excited to play it! c: I love the Pokeradar on Pearl, I have finally figured out how to chain well recently and I've scored myself 10 shinies. :) I'm getting shinies for my team just because I love the SS version so much. So no, it is not unappreciated by me. Perhaps I am biased, but I've been a Pokemon fan since 1st grade - meaning about 12~13 years now, and I've played all the games. A lot of people do prefer the newer version, maybe because its sleeker. HG/SS will probably always be my favorites. :) Though, B/W does offer the best movesets, I think, especially due to Hidden Abilities. I am really excited to save up and get W2 and explore the grottos - Magic bounce Espeon, here I come!

Gen 3 will always hold a special place in my heart; it was the versions I played with my friends when we had the "free day" to bring our Gameboys to school. :) We'd trade pokemon and hang out, all talking about what we had accomplished so far! Call us geeks, but we all enjoyed it. So of course, I will always love Gen 3. I am hoping so much for a remake; I tried to play Sapphire last night, but the interface, after playing the DS versions for so long, is so foreign and awkward to me. Everything is too pixelated and the visuals don't really appeal to me anymore. It's nostalgia and I love it for that, but I probably won't play it anymore unless I want to do the Nuzlocke challenge, which I would probably much rather do on FireRed. ;)

Either way, I love all the versions for different reasons. I don't hate the new generations, the old generations, the middling generations - I love SOMETHING about all of them. One thing I love doing is loading my GBA characters onto my XD or Collo. :) Always fun to see your well-loved Pokemon in 3D on your TV! Reminds me I should get a new XD disc and invest in my pokemon more on the GBA versions, hehe.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I think DPPt have been a bit forgotten in the shadows of BW and B2W2 due to the newer games new feutures.

Darkazure

Gentle Giant
The fourth gen brought some of the strongest and feared pokemon in the metagame! Look at Garchomp, Lucario, Hippopatas, The new moves introduced and Cyentha- A champion that could actually push someone to being more competitive then just using pure force. In my belief the fourth gen was when the games became more competative.

KevinGaming

Hello,

I personally like IV games better than other generations. We all know that the first generation was the best. Generation 4 would probably come in 3rd place out of all the 5 generations.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I actually liked gen 4's pokemon. Most of them, anyway.
Most of all, I don't understand ppl's rants about all the new avolutions. I mean, as if in any pokemon forum doesn't have a huge "what pkmn should have an evolution?" thread.
That was GF's biggest act of fanservice ever.
I like most of them, anyway. Lickylicky, Gliscor, Rhyperior, Yanmega, Mamoswine, Gallade, Weavile and (most of all!) Magmortar are epic.

No. I love my SS and Diamond more than White. Coz Lyra :p Also the PokeRadar, nya~

OOH YEEAH THE POKERADAAAR <333333 so awesome.

Last edited:

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
I thought that Gen. 4 had a very substantial lack of fire types. The only main series games I really like from these are HG/SS (no I am not wearing nostalgia goggles). Platinum was cool with the distortion world and all that, but Diamond and Pearl had very, very slow beginnings and Team Galactic looks like a bunch of really bad Star Trek cosplayers.

Arcanine724

I am the Batman
I don't think it is. I love 4th gen, especially SoulSilver & HeartGold.

I agree.

Well, now that 4 5th gen games are out the fourth gen has kinda been forgotten, sad really, coz Platinum and HGSS were epic

Status
Not open for further replies.