• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is a Meltan worth it?

Was Meltan a good trade?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Hell no

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Of course anything is worth what you're willing to pay for it, but if someone with Go and Let's Go is requesting Legendary Pokémon for Meltan, then it's a bit of a scam. If you're okay with over-paying for something that's extremely easy to get, then there's nothing wrong with that, but the person you traded with did get something a whole lot more valuable to them than the Meltan was. Plus, it's not like the number of people with Go and Let's Go is small. You could easily find someone else who would accept a whole lot less. I've seen people who are just giving the things away.

At the very least, if you're going to offer something good, you should trade it for a Melmetal, as that at least took time and effort to get, giving it some value.

You could also say that getting legendaries is easy, especially since most fans likely own past games. Because I owned previous games and can easily get trades over GTS, I'm completely fine with trading a spare legendary for something I can't even get myself. You can catch many Meltans and it takes a much shorter time to catch Meltan than going through the games' stories to get legendaries, but the barrier of purchasing games to get certain Pokemon is what I'm mainly referring to. The difference of people who bought Let's Go compared to those who bought Sword/Shield is still pretty substantial, with millions difference, so many still miss out on something that's game exclusive.

People can trade Meltan for what they think is fair since they were the ones who paid the $60 or so for a game that I don't think is even worth getting. If you find people giving Meltan away for free, then you're lucky that they're generous enough to catch and transfer them for others who need it.

Also from what I've seen, Melmetal is a lot more valuable than you say, not even worth a legendary. I see people trade other mythicals for it, even more if it has moves exclusive to Let's Go. But then again, these things can also depend on the person.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You could also say that getting legendaries is easy, especially since most fans likely own past games. Because I owned previous games and can easily get trades over GTS, I'm completely fine with trading a spare legendary for something I can't even get myself. You can catch many Meltans and it takes a much shorter time to catch Meltan than going through the games' stories to get legendaries, but the barrier of purchasing games to get certain Pokemon is what I'm mainly referring to. The difference of people who bought Let's Go compared to those who bought Sword/Shield is still pretty substantial, with millions difference, so many still miss out on something that's game exclusive.

People can trade Meltan for what they think is fair since they were the ones who paid the $60 or so for a game that I don't think is even worth getting. If you find people giving Meltan away for free, then you're lucky that they're generous enough to catch and transfer them for others who need it.

We're looking at this from two different perspectives. You're seeing from the perspective of a person who didn't buy Let's Go and wants a Meltan. In that case, from that perspective, it is true that a Meltan is worth whatever you'll willing to pay for it. I'm looking at it from the perspective someone who plays Go and Let's Go and is catching mass amounts of Meltan. To that person, Meltan have no real value. They're a dime a dozen. Any person in such a situation who is offering these super common Pokémon and asking for Pokémon in return that are limited to one per file and take dozens of hours of play to find is just being a scammer. No one should feel okay with offering something so common for something so rare, regardless of if the other person is willing. It's just not right. For that reason, Meltan should not worth that much.

Also from what I've seen, Melmetal is a lot more valuable than you say, not even worth a legendary. I see people trade other mythicals for it, even more if it has moves exclusive to Let's Go. But then again, these things can also depend on the person.

Melmetal is much more debatable, as it actually takes some time and effort to obtain, and can actually be useful in battle. I would be much more understanding of someone asking a high price for one. Still though, I have three of them right now, and gave up on catching Meltan over a year ago. I could easily have dozens of them right now if I wanted, so they're really not that rare.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
We're looking at this from two different perspectives. You're seeing from the perspective of a person who didn't buy Let's Go and wants a Meltan. In that case, from that perspective, it is true that a Meltan is worth whatever you'll willing to pay for it. I'm looking at it from the perspective someone who plays Go and Let's Go and is catching mass amounts of Meltan. To that person, Meltan have no real value. They're a dime a dozen. Any person in such a situation who is offering these super common Pokémon and asking for Pokémon in return that are limited to one per file and take dozens of hours of play to find is just being a scammer. No one should feel okay with offering something so common for something so rare, regardless of if the other person is willing. It's just not right. For that reason, Meltan should not worth that much.

Right, I just wanted to bring up a different perspective as someone who doesn't own Let's Go and therefore would make a Meltan (and even more so Melmetal) rarer to me. I completely understand what the perspective you and others have been saying. I just don't think you can judge this case as completely a scam since the decision to trade can be based on the individual's circumstance (such as not having the game as Smackle did mention), and that can affect the way that something is valued.

Melmetal is much more debatable, as it actually takes some time and effort to obtain, and can actually be useful in battle. I would be much more understanding of someone asking a high price for one. Still though, I have three of them right now, and gave up on catching Meltan over a year ago. I could easily have dozens of them right now if I wanted, so they're really not that rare.

The time put into getting all the candies to evolve Melmetal still seems like a lot, similar to shiny hunting and grinding for rare items. Add that to being only transferred through Let's Go, which not everyone has, and it would make sense being seen as very valuable to the right person.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

And this should be seen from Smackle's perspective, who does not have Let's Go (and presumably does not have GO either), who wanted to have a Meltan. To that extent, a Meltan would be of much value to Smackle as there's no other way to have a Meltan.

I also wouldn't call it a scam if you can generate a large amount of Meltan and people will trade valuable Pokémon for them. It means you have easy access to an in-demand resource. It's no different from the Kingdom of Mali getting super-super rich because it happened to be surrounded by gold mines and salt mines. The various kings during the kingdom's height, if adjusted for inflation, were at least two orders of magnitude richer than Jeff Bezos, and one king was so rich that his reckless spending in Cairo crashed its economy. Was he a scammer? I would say not, because for him, gold and salt were common resources within the kingdom but extremely high in demand elsewhere.

That is, the value of something is determined not by its rarity, but by its demand. The element that commands the highest price per unit of weight is platinum. It is, however, more common than gold. It's more common, yet is worth more, because of one reason alone: platinum's reputation as being a classier, superior precious metal than gold. Your record goes Gold, for instance, THEN it goes Platinum (and then Double Platinum, then Triple Platinum, etc). The most valuable comic book is Action Comics #1, which currently has a price of about US$1 million. It is not the rarest comic book in the world, nor is it the oldest. However, it is very high in demand because it was Superman's debut. More Fun Comics #73 is arguably rarer AND contains Aquaman's debut, but it's worth a lot less because, well, Aquaman's not as big a deal as Superman (even if Jason Momoa managed to redeem the character's image in the mainstream). Baseball cards of Barry Bonds autographed by him once sold for thousands of dollars (though the number varies a lot depending on the exact time and vendor), but that value plummeted, despite the total number of cards being the same, once he was found to engage in doping. Stradivarius produced fewer trumpets than he did violins, but the violins are currently the single most expensive musical instrument because he was a lot better at making violins than trumpets--modern professional craftspeople STILL are unable to replicate those violins' quality, and it's been hundreds of years--and thus the violins are in higher demand.

And the same is no different with Meltan. It may be a common Mythical, but it's locked out for some people in a way no other Mythical Pokémon has. Hence, for the people it's locked out to, Meltan is worth a lot.

Gen82

Honestly I never play Pokemon Go so I'm hoping they release an event on pokemon sword and shield.

Ariki

There's a few mythicals where actually you need to be careful with what you offer to trade for them;

Mew (because there several ways to get Mew!)
Deoxys
Phione (they can be bred by Manaphy/other Phione, and they are considered mythical by Pokemon Company)
Shiny Zeraora (its non-shiny form, will be more valuable now thanks to the Pokemon Company lol)
Meltan

Of the above, I feel there should be zero trading restrictions for Meltan because of how common it is.

Ghost94

Why is Deoxys not valuable?
Deoxy’s can be captured an unlimited number of times simply by beginning a new save file in Omega Ruby or Alpha Shapphire, most Mythical Pokémon are only obtainable via Mystery Gift for a limited period of time.