• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Ash destined to become a Pokémon Breeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I wouldn't say Tobias cheated either, but I would definitely call legendaries a majorly unfair advantage. I also can't help but believe that the fact he had legendaries is the only reason he was capable of winning. Could be just me though.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I wouldn't say Tobias cheated either, but I would definitely call legendaries a majorly unfair advantage. I also can't help but believe that the fact he had legendaries is the only reason he was capable of winning. Could be just me though.
If he captured Legendaries he probably had Pokémon capable of damaging them to the point of being captured. Granted after Darkrai was caught Latios would have been easy to capture. Point still stands. He probably could have won the League with his non-Legendaries.

phanpycross

God-king
If he captured Legendaries he probably had Pokémon capable of damaging them to the point of being captured. Granted after Darkrai was caught Latios would have been easy to capture. Point still stands. He probably could have won the League with his non-Legendaries.

Or maybe he got Darkrai as a starter, and got Latios easy piecy, and has magikarps for his remaining mons?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I also can't help but believe that the fact he had legendaries is the only reason he was capable of winning.

Maybe it was the only reason, but I'm not sure how that's wrong. He was able to tame Legendary Pokemon and sweep Sinnoh's Gyms and League with them. I think he deserves a pat on the back for his achievements.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Ash was offered the position Frontier Brain in Kanto. Scott let him know the offer still stands when he declined.

In any case, raising Pokemon is different than being a Pokemon Breeder. Most Trainers can raise Pokemon since the system is rigged so they and their Pokemon will be fine if they follow the bare basics of rules. Ash is good at raising Pokemon because it's almost impossible to fail. All it takes is someone who has a bit more of a drive to exceed, commitment to travel, and maybe slightly above average intelligence to excel. Ash undoubtedly has two of the three.

A Pokemon Breeder goes a step further than that. Rather than focus on the Battle Strength of a Pokemon like a Trainer would Breeders look at the full package. Their physical condition, mental health, nutrition, breed standards, medical needs, and overall well being. That requires a bit more intelligence than the average Trainer has and perhaps some additional experience and training.

I guess to say that all Breeders raise Pokemon, but not all Trainers are Breeders if that makes sense.

It's like saying all dog owners have the ability to show their dogs professionally. They don't.

Meanwhile I now have a picture of Paul riding his bicycle down and forth while carrying 5 eggs.

Paul is best Bike Simulation Champion/Super Training Master

Haunter ゴースト

I'm pretty sure legendary pokemon are still that, pokemon and therefore are eligible to be captured by trainers just like other pokemon so how exactly is it unfair? Because Ash didn't or refuse to catch one? How do you know that the trainers that employ legendary pokemon and mega pokemon are not skilled or completely attuned with their pokemon exactly?

You're missing what i'm saying.

Mega's and Legendaries are naturally stronger and we know this as fact - so it's essentially saying a trainer who chooses to have a Pokemon like Lapras for example who doesn't have a Mega Evolution that they will always be weaker and never allow the trainer to become a Master.

The only way to become a Pokemon Master is by using Mega's and owning Legendary Pokemon? Call it fair all you want it's a very broad term for something so uneven on a scale.

I've come to the conclusion that there was a reason to Tobias other than simply blocking Ash from winning the Sinnoh League.

Back in Gen 4 WiFi battles had just become a thing and over the course of the generation many legendary pokemon ended up getting banned from the WiFi battle scene because certain people would just whip out a team of Darkrai, Mewtwo, Giritina, Palkia, Dialga and Kyogre, all at level 100, all shiny and just plough though anyone and everyone, sucking all the fun out of it in the process. I believe that the writers came up with Tobias to poke fun at the situation - the frustration felt by many viewers at what happened to Ash was an intentional reflection of the frustration of so many players who had gone onto WiFi with their trusty team only to be swept by a team consisting of nothing but legends.

Maybe, i'm not really sure why Tobias had Legendaries but i like that it was something new as we'd never seen a trainer use them at the League before. I think it was simply a quicker and easier way of making Ash lose over another 2/3 part episode 6v6 when it would make sense for him to lose against legendaries in 1 episode.

Absketchum

I'm not sure what was torkoal doing in that battle.. If u know someone is going to use a darkrai againat u wouldnt u prefer a charizard or a quilava over a torkoal..
Instead of complaining that tobias used legendaries one should complain that Ash didnt show his true potential and simply disappointed..

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
You're missing what i'm saying.

Mega's and Legendaries are naturally stronger and we know this as fact - so it's essentially saying a trainer who chooses to have a Pokemon like Lapras for example who doesn't have a Mega Evolution that they will always be weaker and never allow the trainer to become a Master.

The only way to become a Pokemon Master is by using Mega's and owning Legendary Pokemon? Call it fair all you want it's a very broad term for something so uneven on a scale.
That's like trying to top the Ubers ladder on Pokemon Showdown with a team of unevolved starters. It's not going to happen.

Creyk

My prediction for Ash's future:

His pokemon get fed up with being permanently Oak'd and leave him. His friends get fed up with him never maintaining contact and forget about him. Pikachu gets killed along with Jessie, James and Meowth when one of their mechas blows up over an active volcano.

It is then revealed that the entire series has simply been Ash reminiscing about his childhood. The way we find out is that his reminiscing is interrupted by Gary shouting at him that he ordered his cheeseburger and fries with a strawberry milkshake, not a pepsi. The 44 year old Ash sighs heavily and sets about changing the drink before the screen fades to black.

Then starts a montage of what happened to everyone else, starting with the happy endings, such as Misty went on to become a member of the Kanto Elite Four and married Tracey, May became Hoenn's top co-ordinator and married Drew, Dawn became Sinnoh's top co-ordinator and married Kenny. Iris became Unova's champion and married Georgia (Unova's new Ice type gym leader). Serena became Kalos' greatest what-ever-it-is-she-does and marries Clemont (Kalos' foremost inventor), Gary married one of his cheerleaders and became Kanto's premier pokemon researcher and Viridian City's Gym Leader. Paul became new leader of the Frontier Brains. Cilan married Burgundy and they tour the world as conno-whatevers.

Then come the depressing endings - Cameron fell off a cliff and died, Ash jumped in front of a bus...

This is hilarious! XD
I'd be okay with this ending, it would be the deepest episode ever

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I'm not sure what was torkoal doing in that battle.. If u know someone is going to use a darkrai againat u wouldnt u prefer a charizard or a quilava over a torkoal..

Guess for why he used each:

Heracross: Good Type Matchup + Sleep Talk
Torkoal: Fought Registeel in Battle Frontier
Sceptile: Almost beat Regirock in Battle Frontier
Gible: Obligatory Sinnoh Pokemon
Swellow: Fought Deoxys that one time
Pikachu: Because it's not a Full Battle without it

Also have to keep in mind that the writers wanted to present this as a good battle while also not having him win here, so it was unlikely they'd put fan favorite Charizard into a Fall Guy position unless they had a really good reason to. Since Ash was supposed to lose here and Torkoal got beat in one hit they probably didn't want Charizard to look bad -- especially compared to Sceptile who got the KO.

That Brandon-thing with Charizard being the fall guy was an outliner against every other instance where Charizard put up a good fight. Not that bad because Ash won the fight anyway and Charizard got the KO. Semi-justified because Charizard beat a Legendary earier in the season so we know he can.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Also have to keep in mind that the writers wanted to present this as a good battle while also not having him win here, so it was unlikely they'd put fan favorite Charizard into a Fall Guy position unless they had a really good reason to. Since Ash was supposed to lose here and Torkoal got beat in one hit they probably didn't want Charizard to look bad -- especially compared to Sceptile who got the KO.

Well to be fair I don't think that Ash was going to beat Tobais there I think it was just more of a matter about how many of Tobais pokemon could Ash take down before losing.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Instead of complaining that tobias used legendaries one should complain that Ash didnt show his true potential and simply disappointed..

Why would his selections for said match matter? He was going to lose regardless. That was the inevitable outcome. :c

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
Ash becoming a Pokemon Breeder is a highly questionable notion and there are honestly a few things wrong with Ash being a Breeder, namely that he really isn't fit to become one in the first place. First of all, he hasn't expressed a good ability to effectively make Pokemon food at all. While he makes good friends with the Pokemon he owns, he can't really take care of them effectively: Brock, Cilan, and Clemont always feed the Pokemon for him. Secondly is that well...Ash still actively battles, gets Badges, and competes in Leagues. Breeders are pretty passive (ahem Reggie and Brock), and don't battle that much (though they do sometimes). He trains to battle, more than for health and friendship. And that brings me to another point: Ash doesn't really have the skills to handle Pokemon health. These are all subjective points of view from me, but if I'm going to be honest about Ash being a Breeder...it's questionable and something I cannot see being the case.

Absketchum

That Brandon-thing with Charizard being the fall guy was an outliner against every other instance where Charizard put up a good fight. Not that bad because Ash won the fight anyway and Charizard got the KO. Semi-justified because Charizard beat a Legendary earier in the season so we know he can.

No charizard being the fall guy is not what i meant it could defeat one one the legendaries like pika did.. But writers where too lazy to show more of tobias' pkmn..

Plus this is not out of fandom that i wanted to see a charizard but if u are already aware that the opponent has a Darkrai u select your best team despite u know u'l most likely lose the match.
Selection definately matters even in a losing cause.. i had no issues if this team was used against an opponent who all of a sudden starts with a darkrai but the selection hurt coz u didnt react despite knowing that your opponent has a darkrai..

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Well to be fair I don't think that Ash was going to beat Tobais there I think it was just more of a matter about how many of Tobais pokemon could Ash take down before losing.

Ash took out Darkai which was all we could've hoped for at that point. It was better than the League finalist did.

No charizard being the fall guy is not what i meant it could defeat one one the legendaries like pika did..

I know what you meant. What you're trying to say is the exact reason Charizard didn't show up.

If Charizard showed up in that battle he was not going to get a good battle. He was going to be a Fall Guy like the other four Pokemon that were not Pikachu or Sceptile. And in Sceptile's case he barely managed the KO on an already weakened Dakrai and got crushed immediately after. So they could've theoritically put Charizard in Sceptile's position but what for? We already know Charizard can beat a legendary, but him losing to a second one right after wouldn't reflect too well on him.

The writers know well enough that they should not show Charizard in a bad light. He's a fan favorite. So they're not going to throw him in a battle where he's going to lose, anyway. Rather than give him a hollow/vain victory he just didn't show up.

Personally, I think Ash knew full and well he was going to lose here so he didn't even bother calling Charizard. It wouldn't matter. His interest was more in putting on a good show then somehow toppling this Trainer who was unbeatable.

Sprinter1988

An00b6651 said:
Ash took out Darkai which was all we could've hoped for at that point. It was better than the League finalist did.

I know what you meant. What you're trying to say is the exact reason Charizard didn't show up.

If Charizard showed up in that battle he was not going to get a good battle. He was going to be a Fall Guy like the other four Pokemon that were not Pikachu or Sceptile. And in Sceptile's case he barely managed the KO on an already weakened Dakrai and got crushed immediately after. So they could've theoritically put Charizard in Sceptile's position but what for? We already know Charizard can beat a legendary, but him losing to a second one right after wouldn't reflect too well on him.

The writers know well enough that they should not show Charizard in a bad light. He's a fan favorite. So they're not going to throw him in a battle where he's going to lose, anyway. Rather than give him a hollow/vain victory he just didn't show up.

Personally, I think Ash knew full and well he was going to lose here so he didn't even bother calling Charizard. It wouldn't matter. His interest was more in putting on a good show then somehow toppling this Trainer who was unbeatable.

Charizard's popularity did not stop him being the fall guy against Brandon!
Also Darkrai's defeat was almost entirely down to Sceptile as Dream Eater restored all the health Heracross took off and Gible barely did anything - although he did land a super-effective Rock Smash, its like the weakest fighting type move out there, it wasnt STAB and, come on, it was from a Gible!

kod3

He can't be a bleeder, his pokemon evolved usually mainly because of his "unofficial assistants" team rocket or "forced evolved" because of the crisis, without those reasons, his pokemon cannot really reach the potential.

I don't really see him become a bleeder, I would certainly see him becoming a gym leader/elite four when older at best!

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Charizard's popularity did not stop him being the fall guy against Brandon!

I mentioned that in the original post. Since Charizard got a (double) KO and Ash ultimately won that battle it was fine.

Bringing Charizard back only for Ash to still lose wasn't.

come on, it was from a Gible!

Tobias mentioned if Gible hit its last attack he would've knocked Darkrai out, so I suspected he wasn't really healthy when he went against Sceptile.

Not only Hit Points but endurance have to be taken into effect in anime battles. He may have recovered some HP but he still was tired from earlier battling.

blackhole23

I truly think Ash was out of pokemon at this point......Snorelax was seen like ywoce battling and quilava got knocked out (probably still resting).

Really I'm guessing those were his only pokemon that didn't get knocked out or hurt to badly (aside from Pikachu who reheals in a nap). I mean Infernape was oout of comission after Paul's battle....I could barely imagine the others.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I truly think Ash was out of pokemon at this point......Snorelax was seen like ywoce battling and quilava got knocked out (probably still resting).

Really I'm guessing those were his only pokemon that didn't get knocked out or hurt to badly (aside from Pikachu who reheals in a nap). I mean Infernape was oout of comission after Paul's battle....I could barely imagine the others.

The likes of Kingler, Tauros, Bulbasaur, Bayleef, Totodile, Corphish, Glalie and Muk had not been shown battling. Not forgetting Charizard and Squirtle who could've been called upon.. He could've pieced together a much better team, however the result would've still been the same because Ash needed to lose, ready for the BW saga to begin..

Say we take out Torkoal, Swellow and probably Gible, then add in Charizard, Kingler and Glalie.. Kingler and Glalie are still going to bomb "because plot" and Charizard would probably be commended for being able to knock out any other opponent, ala Gible.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles..

Status
Not open for further replies.