• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Ash really that bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin

MALDREAD
Considering the fact that BW001 confirms he's still 10, yes less than 1 year has passed. You're time argument makes no sense and has already been disproved by canon. Nobody said time hasn't passed. In the anime-verse less than 1 year has passed not 15 years like has been erroneously stated.

Up until BW001, he seemed like he was aging. In fact, even though he wasn't growing much taller, he seemed definitely older in DP than in OS. Maybe that was the combination of his clothing making him look older and his more mature personality, however. He felt like 14/15 in DP.

But of course, BW set it clear that canon and the children keep him forever 10.

----------------

Not to bash BW any more, but I don't think people would be asking this question if not for the 'reset.' Had the show ended in a post-DP arc, or continued with Ash winning the tourney in BW (as the next progressive step), then everyone would view Ash as a natural character that took several regions of long travel and effort to slowly but steadily reach his goal.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Up until BW001, he seemed like he was aging. In fact, even though he wasn't growing much taller, he seemed definitely older in DP than in OS. Maybe that was the combination of his clothing making him look older and his more mature personality, however. He felt like 14/15 in DP.

But of course, BW set it clear that canon and the children keep him forever 10.

----------------

Not to bash BW any more, but I don't think people would be asking this question if not for the 'reset.' Had the show ended in a post-DP arc, or continued with Ash winning the tourney in BW (as the next progressive step), then everyone would view Ash as a natural character that took several regions of long travel and effort to slowly but steadily reach his goal.
True. For the age thing they should just have kept it hanging. As fr Ash's "reset," well that's just going to be held against him for a long time.

Navin

MALDREAD
True. For the age thing they should just have kept it hanging. As fr Ash's "reset," well that's just going to be held against him for a long time.

And the fact that it happened means it can always happen in the future unless there is closure. Especially when it was right after Ash's peak in taking down a Darkrai and a Latios. If he doesn't make Final Four at least in Kalos and improves in Gen 7 region, there really isn't much point to watch this show if you're expecting an end in sight.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
And the fact that it happened means it can always happen in the future unless there is closure. Especially when it was right after Ash's peak in taking down a Darkrai and a Latios. If he doesn't make Final Four at least in Kalos and improves in Gen 7 region, there really isn't much point to watch this show if you're expecting an end in sight.
True. Though I think most of the older viewers have given up on the idea of closure in the anime. I think I'll probably stick on but if signs if another reset pop up I'm out.

Nodame

Misty <3
The thing is, Ash was more charming back in OS. I just don't see the appeal in him nowadays. My main problem with Ash is his personality. Ash is a bland boring and has no personality, he is just a robot like person with no humor.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Ash is a failure because he never wins in pokemon leagues and his super strong pikachu lost to a level 5 snivy
Ash can't win a league unless they find a new protagonist.

Pikachu was depowered by Zerkrom that's why he lost.

Pikachu redeems himself by beating that same Snivy at the league anyway.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I agree Ash has no personality now,hes stoic most of the times and boring even Clemont has more personality than him.
You would think that 6+ seasons worth of showtime would have developed Ash's character more...

I agree with Dark Master; these "resets" on Ash's character dishearten me from sticking with the anime, and until we have confirmation that a new protagonist will replace Ash, we have to assume the cycle will repeat endlessly in order to mirror the games.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I kinda hate Ash. He never let Pikachu to evolve and never won in Pokemon leagues
Ash is perfectly willing to let Pikachu evolve so that complaint isn't valid. The one who doesn't want to evolve is Pikachu so...
And winning the League isn't exactly a cakewalk like it is in the games or manga as well.

Navin

MALDREAD
Ash has only had one actual "reset." That was at the start of BW.

Otherwise, his progression from OS-DP was an upward trending zig-zag curve. The zig-zag accounting for his inconsistency.

Pikachu experiences soft resets simply because he has to for plot purposes. And even then, any Pikachu loss can be justified by him belonging to a very weak species and reflecting Ash's own inconsistency.

The problem before the show pre-BW was that it was taking too long for Ash to get there even though it logically made sense he would take a long time. Problem after post-BW is that he might get "reset" at any given region.

Rizardon

Boulder Trainer
The thing is, Ash was more charming back in OS. I just don't see the appeal in him nowadays. My main problem with Ash is his personality. Ash is a bland boring and has no personality, he is just a robot like person with no humor.

Eh, I actually like Ash more the way he is right now than how he used to be.

He used to be really annoying and too arrogant for his own good, underestimating his opponents every now and then.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Ash has only had one actual "reset." That was at the start of BW.

Otherwise, his progression from OS-DP was an upward trending zig-zag curve. The zig-zag accounting for his inconsistency.

Pikachu experiences soft resets simply because he has to for plot purposes. And even then, any Pikachu loss can be justified by him belonging to a very weak species and reflecting Ash's own inconsistency.

The problem before the show pre-BW was that it was taking too long for Ash to get there even though it logically made sense he would take a long time. Problem after post-BW is that he might get "reset" at any given region.
Pretty much this. Pre-BW the progression could be seen: Top 16 (Gen 1)->Orange Island Victory->Top 8 with Reserves (Gen 2)->Top 8 without Reserves (Gen 3)->Battle Frontier Victory->Top 4 with Reserves (Gen 4)
Was set up to have
Top 4 without Reserves (Gen 5)->Top 2 with Reserves (Gen 6)->Top 2 without Reserves (Gen 7)->League Winner with Reserves (Gen 8)->Champions League Arc (if they wanted) if the pattern was continued. After that could have time skipped to Ash beating Lance to become Kanto Champion with Pikachu beating Dragonite or something like that, then Ash goes off adventuring after Ho-Oh or something to the like and new protagonist could be set in.

PKMN RANGERGIRL

Ash is a bad trainer

Yes I think that Ash is a bad trainer. He oaks too many of his good Pokemon, makes rookie battling mistakes, he even uses his Pokedex to indentify pokemon that he's already seen a bazillon times and he releases some of his pokemon and refuses to evolve others (like Pikachu, squirtle and bulbasaur to name a few). It just seems like he'll never win the league...he's never even faced a single member of any of the regional elite fours for crying out loud! Ash just needs to train more and capture new pokemon and find some new strategies in order to improve. I think that's the only way at this point that Ash can succeed and eventually become a Pokemon master!:635:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Yes I think that Ash is a bad trainer. He oaks too many of his good Pokemon, makes rookie battling mistakes, he even uses his Pokedex to indentify pokemon that he's already seen a bazillon times and he releases some of his pokemon and refuses to evolve others (like Pikachu, squirtle and bulbasaur to name a few). It just seems like he'll never win the league...he's never even faced a single member of any of the regional elite fours for crying out loud! Ash just needs to train more and capture new pokemon and find some new strategies in order to improve. I think that's the only way at this point that Ash can succeed and eventually become a Pokemon master!:635:
Actually he's battled quite a few of them. Agatha, Aaron, and Flint come to mind.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
-Last time Ash kept his older Pokemon on hand, it screwed over the development of his then regional team so...
-You do realize the PokeDex entries change from game to game, and thus region to region so looking up the information on the Pokemon, which in all reality is a minor thing and is only there for the viewers, has zero baring on how good the trainer is. OMG he used PokeDex he's such a bad trainer. Even typing that out it still sounds so stupid.
-Ash doesn't refuse to evolve anyone. The only time he ever did, was with Gligar ad even then he eventually evolved it into Gliscor. Squirtle,Bulbasaur and Pikachu haven't evolved because they either don't want to or the conditions aren't favorable for them to evolve.
-He's faced 3 members of the Elite 4
-He needs to train and capture more Pokemon yet he should keep his old Pokemon on hand? That's self contradictory

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I kinda hate Ash. He never let Pikachu to evolve and never won in Pokemon leagues

Him not winning major leagues doesn't make him a bad character though in my view. There are simply stronger trainers than him, so he can't win every tournament.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Pretty much this. Pre-BW the progression could be seen: Top 16 (Gen 1)->Orange Island Victory->Top 8 with Reserves (Gen 2)->Top 8 without Reserves (Gen 3)->Battle Frontier Victory->Top 4 with Reserves (Gen 4)
Was set up to have
Top 4 without Reserves (Gen 5)->Top 2 with Reserves (Gen 6)->Top 2 without Reserves (Gen 7)->League Winner with Reserves (Gen 8)->Champions League Arc (if they wanted) if the pattern was continued. After that could have time skipped to Ash beating Lance to become Kanto Champion with Pikachu beating Dragonite or something like that, then Ash goes off adventuring after Ho-Oh or something to the like and new protagonist could be set in.
In my opinion, you could even skip straight to Ash becoming a League Winner in gen 6, return to Kanto to beat Lance and become the Champion in gen 7 (coinciding with Kanto/Pokemon Anniversary), then switch protagonists for gen 8, which would symbolize a new beginning, both for the anime and the games.

But alas, BW001 happened, so all of this is a moot point.

I really hope they don't reset him again until he at least wins in something, then goes off to a new region for a "new adventure." Or even better, just take a few more generations to build up Ash, beat the League/Elite Four properly, then switch protagonists.

Last edited:

thor94

Him not winning major leagues doesn't make him a bad character though in my view. There are simply stronger trainers than him, so he can't win every tournament.
Seriously, cameron better than ash? even ash should never send a 4x weak pokemon twice in a battle. no ash is just bad (can we call a guy unable to reach a city without being lost, can't cook, can't care and raising pokemon other than battle training, etc a good trainer?). and is exclusive friendship power self centered (excepted when it come with strong power like mega).

And for snivy case, zekrom only take down electric moveset, pikachu could have managed snivy easily with iron tail, and normal moves. And about the league, pikachu only win by the power of main character (who could believe that an almost exhausted rat can ohko a full evolved and perfect health grass pokemon with single electric move)

Status
Not open for further replies.