• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Ash the anime counterpart of some of the male game protagonists? Not only Red.

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
With an exception of Ethan, Brendan and Nate.

Yes, Ash is originally based on Red from the games.

As he travels a new region (since Sinnoh) his new outfit somehow familiar from what male game protagonist design, with a little changes.

This applies first during Diamond and Pearl saga whereas he wore a jacket similar to Lucas minus the scarf with different hat.

His BW even though his jacket color is different to Hilbert's, his frontal design was close his.

His XY was pretty obvious. His jacket color and design looks exactly like Calem's while his hat is similar to Red's FRLG hat.

SM is like the most obvious.

And if the opposite gender has an interaction with the player such as a friend / rival, she will appears on the anime as a travelling companion (May, Dawn and Serena).

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
He takes inspiration from their clothes but that's really it. There's no distinct personality from Gold-Sun's main characters because they're not NPCs like Red. Plus we've seen most of them in movie openings.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The only thing he has that connects him to the male protagonists is that he isn't native to Hoenn, Kalos, and Alola much like Brendan, Calem, and Sun
Other than that, no. He's just a more interesting version of Red who steals the new male protagonist's clothes every new generation

There's really no excuse why the males apart from Red(Who Ash is based off of) and Jimmy(Gold) haven't gotten roles, I'm quite sick of it really.

horrahforyou

Looking forward to have Ash wore original outfit during Gen 8 and this break the tradition of copying whoever male protagonist's outfit in the future

I mean the creators made an original outfit for Ash during AG series and didn't copy Brendan's outfit. Then why not

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The only thing he has that connects him to the male protagonists is that he isn't native to Hoenn, Kalos, and Alola much like Brendan, Calem, and Sun
Other than that, no. He's just a more interesting version of Red who steals the new male protagonist's clothes every new generation

There's really no excuse why the males apart from Red(Who Ash is based off of) and Jimmy(Gold) haven't gotten roles, I'm quite sick of it really.

Agreed on both.

To be honest, I've been wanting the male player character to become one of Ash's companions ever since the days of the original GS when I saw Gold's design. I do hope generation 8 will finally change that.

Looking forward to have Ash wore original outfit during Gen 8 and this break the tradition of copying whoever male protagonist's outfit in the future

I mean the creators made an original outfit for Ash during AG series and didn't copy Brendan's outfit. Then why not

Same here. I've found his AG outfit to be a lot better than Brendan's clothes. Not to mention they match fairly well with RS Brendam and Emerald May lol

Litleonid

His series outfits only really take inspiration from those worn by the male protagonists in the games and that's about it.

PineapplePizza

His direct counterpart is Red in that they’re both from Pallet town and that Satoshi’s name was a default name for the Player character in Pokemon Red and Ash was mostly likely chosen because that’s what Nintendo of America told 4Kids to use as that’s what they picked for a default name in place of Satoshi.

He may take on the roles of Ethan/Brendan/Lucas/Hilbert/Callum but he’s not actually based on them outside of stealing Hilbert and Callum’s outfits the same way he’s based on Red.

We even know Ethan (Jimmy) Brendan and Lucas exist in the anime.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Satoshi is the anime incarnation of Red, and only Red. If he was really based on the other male protagonists, his mother would have moved with him to the new region (like all of protagonsts' mothers) and he would be redesigned to look like male protagonists than his original game incarnation; namely, getting the default haircut of the male protagonist for instance (Incidentally, he was reconfirmed to be based on Red again when Yajima mentioned that the extra sideburn hair tuffs that XY Ash has are taken from FRLG Red).

Honestly, it's no different from Smash Bros Pokémon Trainer having palette swaps based on the various Pokémon Trainers without physically changing the clothes.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, it's no different from Smash Bros Pokémon Trainer having palette swaps based on the various Pokémon Trainers without physically changing the clothes.

I was looking at the palette swaps for the trainer on Smash Ultimate and one of them makes the male trainer look a lot like Kalos Ash except it has Red's face. In a game that has Greninja taking on the form of Ash-Greninja in the Final Smash.

He kinda is; not only his clothes are rip-offs of male protagonist's but also their adventures are pretty similar - collecting the same badges, fighting the same bad teams, meeting the same characters along the way and so on.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
His direct counterpart is Red in that they’re both from Pallet town and that Satoshi’s name was a default name for the Player character in Pokemon Red and Ash was mostly likely chosen because that’s what Nintendo of America told 4Kids to use as that’s what they picked for a default name in place of Satoshi.

He may take on the roles of Ethan/Brendan/Lucas/Hilbert/Callum but he’s not actually based on them outside of stealing Hilbert and Callum’s outfits the same way he’s based on Red.

We even know Ethan (Jimmy) Brendan and Lucas exist in the anime.
I remembered that there was a Quebec dub for OS and he's called Ash as well, unlike the France dub where he was called Sasha. It was so different despite both sharing French languages...^^

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Pretty much. You could say Ash's personality is roughly the "default" personality of all the male protagonists.

horrahforyou

I noticed that Ash's personality changes as he travel to a new region. To match with the persona that the male player character has.

BW Ash - So Funny
XY Ash - Less funny
SM Ash - Extremely funny

PineapplePizza

I don’t recall the player character in Black and White having any personality?

I mean arguably none of the player characters have personalities until they’re played as rivals and even then not really

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
What persona? Players characters don't talk anything.
They're smiling, regardless of the situations they're in.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ash is a strange dark, brown-skinned version of Red with bolt-shaped scars on his cheeks (convince me otherwise if those aren't scars, just what else could they be?)

His mother keeps stealing clothes from the other no-show male protagonists. Possibly even killing them when they try to defend themselves, and then she takes the credit for being "original" for knitting them up.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
TBH, what's the difference between Red and literally every other game protagonist outside of being able to fight him in another game? They're not really characters, just ciphers for the player