• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is ashes pikachu boy or girl?

Its a

• Boy

Votes: 109 90.8%
  • Girl

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

freakin_chicken

you can all say that gender differences were recently added in the pokemon games/anime/manga, but now that they have it would be weird to have a female Pikachu without the "almost heart shape" tail.

Every Heart

Happy Rival!
I'm in two minds about this. I have always just figured that Pikachu is male because of how I saw it in the show, although I wouldn't be surprised if Pikachu turned out to be female.

(After all, it did have a slight motherly attitude to Togepi back in the older seasons, but this can be just dismissed as a fatherly attitude either way)

I think the sometimes erratic attitude it has(similar to ashes) is very masculine. Also, when it met Richie's(whos WAS a dude...the ears and hair?) they werent trying to jump eachother(the dirty way)...and i dont think they could be gay either(the pikachus, not pkmn).

vhanix

Grass grower!
You can't use that as evidence for Pikachu being a male. That doesn't make any sense.

The writers have not revealed Buneary's gender either, for that matter. So therefore, you cannot make the claim that: because Buneary has a crush on Pikachu, it must be a male.

Male Pikachu, bacause Dawn's Buneary is a female one (says in the Bio of Dawn), and she likes Pikachu and there's no mark in its tail.

You better dive in here... http://www.serebii.net/anime/characters/dawn.shtml

I recall that when Ash and co. were n the Orange Islands, and Ash's Pikachu was kidnapped by the Drowzee for Team Rocket. Ash said, "We've gotta save him!"

It's a guy, I'm 100% sure.

I've always assumed he was male. IIRC, there was one episode where Misty tried to put a dress on him, and he started freaking out. And he's worn what is typicaly male clothing several times throughout the series, yet never female clothing. And I can't help but remember several people refering to him as "he" or "him" a few times.

And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't he in the male side of the hot tub in the multiple hot tub scenes throughout the show?

Opal Pikachu13

Ash's Pikachu is male. It only dressed up in male clothing, never female, on the "Princess vs Princess" where all the men were carrying the boxes and gifts for the girls, Pikachu was carrying some of Misty's gifts with Ash and Brock. And yeah, in the hot tub scenes it's always on the male side. And Buneary/Mimiroru is clearly a female with a crush on Pikachu, and how nervous it acts when Buneary/Mimiroru acts towards it. So yeah, Ash's Pikachu's a male.

Ms. Zira Fell

I'm. A. GIRL!
Actually, I can't think of any episode where Ash ever referred to Pikachu as being a male. However, feel free to post any lines, if you have concrete evidence of this.

Anyway, in the dub, Ash and his friends have either called Pikachu by its name - Pikachu or simply by using the pronoun "it" (which could be used for either gender, you know). ^^

Hehe, I'll have to take your word for it since I've never watched the japanese version [and, even if I had, it wouldn't mean squat to me since I don't speak a word of the lingo :p ] and the same goes for the English version, but the translators dubbed Pikachu a 'he' so that's the way I see him... or her. ;)

However, now that I think about it, there may be another clue. I *think* that Ash has a tendency to call Pikachu 'buddy' or 'pal' and those are usually used between men, but, again, due to the fact that I've seen the translated version, I can't be sure :]

Cenzo

Red: True Master

Dattebayo

Banned
Pikachu's a boy, idiot. This thread is pointless.

SudovVoOdO

The afro is powerful
Maybe my english isn't very well but It's male <==> female I don't see a pikachu dude or a pikachu lady

It's a male..

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
I believe it's male because of the dent thing (if this doesn't count because it was recent, I have more reasons anyway), the freaking out when it was in girl clothes, Buneary seems to be a girl... but I dunno, one of the Pokemon Karaokemons which had lines 'You are like my brother', if that doesn't work either, I don't know what will... but I think it's a boy nonetheless.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
I recall that when Ash and co. were n the Orange Islands, and Ash's Pikachu was kidnapped by the Drowzee for Team Rocket. Ash said, "We've gotta save him!"
No, he said "We've gotta save 'em", and 'em means them, which would refer to all the Pokemon in "Pikachu Re-Volts".

I've already said that Ash has never called Pikachu a him in any of the episodes. I don't know why people always claim that.

Oh well, I'm not debating this. It would be pointless to do that, since everyone (except for me and the 4 others who voted girl) believes that Pikachu is a male.

So anyway, I'm just here to correct misinformation whenever I see it. ^^

the freaking out when it was in girl clothes,
Actually, Pikachu was never "put" into female clothes.

In "Pokemon Fashion Flash", Misty simply imagined Pikachu wearing a dress. And Pikachu only had a minor reaction, as if it was questioning what Misty was thinking about.

However, now that I think about it, there may be another clue. I *think* that Ash has a tendency to call Pikachu 'buddy' or 'pal' and those are usually used between men, but, again, due to the fact that I've seen the translated version, I can't be sure :]
Buddy simply means friend, so technically, it could be used for females as well.

Of course, Ash doesn't know what gender Pikachu is, so that's why I think it's rediculous for people to state it as fact that Ash's Pikachu is male.

Now I'm not saying anyone here has done that. But I'm just saying that it gets on my nerves when people act like its gender has been confirmed, even though it hasn't. It's been mentioned several times in this thread that Pikachu's gender is unconfirmed.

It's like I said earlier, it all comes down to the majority of people believing Pikachu is a male. And I think what happened was, because of this "widespread belief", many people just took it as a fact (regardless of whether Pikachu's gender had been confirmed in the anime or not).

Last edited:

knyght

Beginning Trainer
No, he said "We've gotta save 'em", and 'em means them, which would refer to all the Pokemon in "Pikachu Re-Volts".

I've already said that Ash has never called Pikachu a him in any of the episodes. I don't know why people always claim that.

Oh well, I'm not debating this. It would be pointless to do that, since everyone (except for me and the 4 others who voted girl) believes that Pikachu is a male.

So anyway, I'm just here to correct misinformation whenever I see it. ^^

Actually, Pikachu was never "put" into female clothes.

In "Pokemon Fashion Flash", Misty simply imagined Pikachu wearing a dress. And Pikachu only had a minor reaction, as if it was questioning what Misty was thinking about.

Buddy simply means friend, so technically, it could be used for females as well.

Of course, Ash doesn't know what gender Pikachu is, so that's why I think it's rediculous for people to state it as fact that Ash's Pikachu is male.

Now I'm not saying anyone here has done that. But I'm just saying that it gets on my nerves when people act like its gender has been confirmed, even though it hasn't. It's been mentioned several times in this thread that Pikachu's gender is unconfirmed.

It's like I said earlier, it all comes down to the majority of people believing Pikachu is a male. And I think what happened was, because of this "widespread belief", many people just took it as a fact (regardless of whether Pikachu's gender had been confirmed in the anime or not).

Who has misinformation? The 1% who think it's a girl. or the 99% who think it's a guy?

If the majority of people have gathered that it is male, even though it has never been said for certain. By logic wouldn't the creators of the show made it obvious enough for us to decide by how he acts.

To me it is very clear that Pikachu is a boy. From the way "he" moves "his" ears, talks in a deep voice sometimes, the countless other examples people have given above.

Your counter-points have been that you must be right in what you heard them say on the show, and the other person must be wrong. You can't just say you are right and the other person is wrong without giving concrete evidence...and that is would be video evidence of the said scenes. You said you won't debate it yet you are...against the majority.

And another thing with the Tail. I believe Game Freak would have made the sprites to go with the continuity of the show when it comes to representing the franchises mascot. (why have pikachu be a female on show contradict the look of female pikachus in the games?) So that I believe that should be evidence enough that Pikachu is male.

Instead of saying we are wrong, Give us some reasons why you think it is a girl.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Very well then, I'll give my reason.

Well, to be honest, my opinion for Pikachu being a female has a lot to do with Pikashipping. I am a huge fan of Pikashipping (Ash and Pikachu). And I personally believe Pikachu has a small crush on Ash, similar to Chikorita/Bayleef's. I think the reason it decided to stay out of its Pokeball was originally, just because it was afraid of going in there. However, now that Pikachu is so close with Ash and they have such a great friendship, I think Pikachu may have formed a small crush on him. And that could be why it likes to stay on Ash's shoulder all the time. It loves to be around him.

Also, there seems to be proof of this in "Chikorita's Big Upset", because in that episode Chikorita got jealous of Pikachu and refused to return to its Pokeball, because Ash was going to return Chikorita and use Pikachu instead. The way I see it is, if Pikachu were a male, Chikorita would've had no reason to get jealous. Or at least, it wouldn't have been nearly as jealous as it was in that episode. And of course, at the end of this episode, Ash has Pikachu one of his shoulders and Chikorita on the other shoulder. So pretty much, I just drew the conclusion that Pikachu was a female from that episode (and from the few female hints in season one). Although, season one stuff is contradictory, because season one showed hints for both genders. Some episodes made it appear as though Pikachu was a male, and there were other episodes where it seemed to be female. So because of that reason, I don't like to rely on season one for gender hints/evidence.

That's pretty much all I've got. And if you want more evidence from the anime, I don't have any, other than what I said above. Because you know, they have more "hints" for Pikachu being a male than they do for it being a female.

And another thing with the Tail. I believe Game Freak would have made the sprites to go with the continuity of the show when it comes to representing the franchises mascot. (why have pikachu be a female on show contradict the look of female pikachus in the games?) So that I believe that should be evidence enough that Pikachu is male.
First of all, the anime does not equal the games in every aspect. So for all we know, the show might not even incorporate that.

Also, going by game logic, Pikachu that aren't from D/P don't have the "tail" thing. So I personally believe that the gender differences are only a Sinnoh thing, and it's only related to Pokemon that live in the Sinnoh area.

So going by that theory, even if Pikachu is a female, it wouldn't have the "tail" thing because it's not a Pokemon from the Sinnoh region.

Now I'm gonna go slightly off-topic for a minute here. Think about it. If the writers were to introduce the gender differences to the anime, it would change how the anime works when it comes to genders. I mean, it used to be that unless a Pokemon has a specific gender, like Madam Muchmoney's Snubbull, it wasn't mentioned in the show. But if they were to incorporate these differences at some point, how would they explain the fact that they were weren't there before? And how would they explain that they are there now? People in the anime would all of a sudden be able to tell what gender their Pokemon is, just like that?

By logic wouldn't the creators of the show made it obvious enough for us to decide by how he acts.
Pikachu acts like a female, in my opinion.

I do not see any masculine traits about it at all.

To me it is very clear that Pikachu is a boy. From the way "he" moves "his" ears, talks in a deep voice sometimes, the countless other examples people have given above.
In my opinion, Ash's Pikachu has anything but a deep voice.

Especially if you compare Pikachu's voice to that of other Pikachu that have appeared in the anime, such as Richie's Pikachu (Sparky) and Victor's Pikachu (Puka). Both Pikachu had lower voices than Ash's Pikachu. And to me, Ash's Pikachu seems to have a very high pitched voice, so that's the first thing made me believe it was a female.

You said you won't debate it yet you are...against the majority.
So, are you trying to say that the majority is always right?

Or that I should just go with the majority anyway, even though my beliefs are different?

If you weren't trying to say that, I apologize.

But anyway, I'm not trying to prove that my side is right and your side is wrong. It may have looked that way, but that's not what I'm trying to do. Really, I only wanted to reply to this thread to simply state my opinion. But as I usually do when I see these threads, I ended up quoting people and correcting them about things that were wrong (or things that I know to be wrong because I've seen every episode of the dub).

I don't care what people think about Pikachu's gender. If you agree with me that's fine, if you don't that's fine too. I mean, everone can have their own opinions about this, because it's just speculation and personal beliefs anyway.

Pikachu's gender hasn't been confirmed, so until that happens in the anime, no one can say for sure what gender Pikachu is. When and if that happens, then we can officially say that Pikachu is this-or-that gender.

Frankly, If Pikachu's VA says it's undecided, it's undecided. She'd know, after all!
Thank you for saying that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.