• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is ashes pikachu boy or girl?

Its a

• Boy

Votes: 109 90.8%
  • Girl

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MerryH

I voted for Pikachu being a girl. I'm not sure where the other vote came from, but thank you, whoever voted for that option. ^_^

Personally, I believe Ash's Pikachu is a female. I've seen every episode of the dub, and since the first episode, I have always believed it to be a female. It just seems like it's a girl to me by the way it always acts around Ash.

I have to agree. I voted girl. I don't know why, but I've always felt Pikachu was a girl. Something about Pikachu is very female...

But I could be wrong.

Crystal Clair

I voted girl. I don't feel like explaining why though.
However, not even Ikue Ootani knows what gender Pikachu is, if I recall correctly. Although there's that whole thing with that bunny.... but hey.

Alycehunt

I voted boy, because it fights like a boy, and is really tough and determined, however, in the first Pokemon movie, Pikachu cries for Ash, and boys don't usually cry very much. I am still going for him being a boy.

Kitori-San

I'm gonna vote boy.
I may be hallucenating, but some of the old "Pikachu's Summer Vacation" mentioned that Pikachu is a he.

But I may be very well mistaken.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Oh yes.

You are mistaken. Those Pikachu shorts from the movies have never mentioned Pikachu's gender.

And like the characters on the show, the announcer still referred to Pikachu as an "it".

Last edited:

MerryH

I voted boy, because it fights like a boy, and is really tough and determined, however, in the first Pokemon movie, Pikachu cries for Ash, and boys don't usually cry very much. I am still going for him being a boy.

You saying girls don't fight tough and determined? Ehehe, i'll fight you if you do! And a lot of guys cry. So really, I don't think it's fair to be super stereotypical.

I'm still torn between the two.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
And as for me, I might be biased as far as Pikachu's gender goes. I'm always gonna believe it's female because of my theory involving Pikashipping. ^_^

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
And as for me, I might be biased as far as Pikachu's gender goes. I'm always gonna believe it's female because of my theory involving Pikashipping. ^_^

That's a lame reason, no offense. But I still think it's a boy... And about the way Pikachu acts, I don't think we can compare it to a human. I think it makes more sense to be compared to an actual animal that can be kept as a pet and has noticable feelings just like the Pokemon. I mean, if there was a dog (not that Pikachu is one, this is just an example) that licked its male owner, does that automatcially make it a girl? No. Male and female dogs alike can show some love. The Chikorita getting jealous is the same, if two puppies got some attention, and one of them gets more, won't the other feel bad even if it was the opposite gender? I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense but I just really have this feeling it's a guy.

Frankly, If Pikachu's VA says it's undecided, it's undecided. She'd know, after all!

Uh...why? She doesn't have control over the anime. If the writers of the show wanted to give Pikachu a gender that went against what she wanted, I'm pretty sure they would just go ahead and go with their original idea.

Well, to be honest, my opinion for Pikachu being a female has a lot to do with Pikashipping. I am a huge fan of Pikashipping (Ash and Pikachu). And I personally believe Pikachu has a small crush on Ash, similar to Chikorita/Bayleef's. I think the reason it decided to stay out of its Pokeball was originally, just because it was afraid of going in there. However, now that Pikachu is so close with Ash and they have such a great friendship, I think Pikachu may have formed a small crush on him. And that could be why it likes to stay on Ash's shoulder all the time. It loves to be around him.

If Pikachu does have a crush on Ash, that wouldn't automatically make it female. There have been two other gay characters on the show (given, it was never actually confirmed.), but that means Pikachu could be gay as well. I myself am a slight Pikashipper, but only when it's male.

Also, there seems to be proof of this in "Chikorita's Big Upset", because in that episode Chikorita got jealous of Pikachu and refused to return to its Pokeball, because Ash was going to return Chikorita and use Pikachu instead. The way I see it is, if Pikachu were a male, Chikorita would've had no reason to get jealous. Or at least, it wouldn't have been nearly as jealous as it was in that episode. And of course, at the end of this episode, Ash has Pikachu one of his shoulders and Chikorita on the other shoulder. So pretty much, I just drew the conclusion that Pikachu was a female from that episode (and from the few female hints in season one). Although, season one stuff is contradictory, because season one showed hints for both genders. Some episodes made it appear as though Pikachu was a male, and there were other episodes where it seemed to be female. So because of that reason, I don't like to rely on season one for gender hints/evidence.

That's not really much to go on. Chikorita could've just been jealous that Pikachu was getting more of Ash's attention than she was. It likely would've been jealous of any Pokemon that was getting lots of attention from Ash, no matter what their gender.

I do not see any masculine traits about it at all.

So what female traits do you see about it, exactly? I personally don't see any traits that point towards either gender.

That's just stupid. As MerryH said, females are just as tough and determined as males. And in case you didn't notice, every Pokemon on that field was crying, so either they were all female (Ash's male Charizard included), or males are capable of shedding tears.

As I said above, Pikashipping could very well be a gay pairing.

Oh, and Pikachu felt up Deliah back in the first season, which automatically leads me to believe it's male.

Ash's Pika Pal

some have to let go
I believe Pikachu is male, because of Bunneary.

Although, now that I think about it, it might be up to each person to decide individually what they think Pikachu's gender really is.

moomoo cactus hatXD

I think Pikachu is a boy. I bet they made female pikachus have the tail dent in D/P because Ash's Pikachu is a boy and it would seem suspicious if pikachu suddenly had a tail dent in the show.

cassius335

Aura Trainer
Uh...why? She doesn't have control over the anime. If the writers of the show wanted to give Pikachu a gender that went against what she wanted, I'm pretty sure they would just go ahead and go with their original idea.

Without telling her? Come on. If the higher-ups on the show had decided Pikachu's gender, it's VA would have been told about it!

Ugobama

Sigh...this one never gets old...Ash has referred to Pikachu as ''he'', ''him'', and ''little guy''.

Last edited:

Ms. Zira Fell

I'm. A. GIRL!
Wow, this thread really got people riled up since the last time I was here. ^.^

Well, the thing I'd like to add in addition to my previous reasons why I think Pika is a boy is that we have to take into account that the authors of the show were probably more comfortable with him being a boy since he's really like a second main character. I just can't shake the impression that Ash's first pokemon being female would be just a tad... I don't know... ahead of their time when they made the show. Boy was a safer choice and I think they went with it.

In fact, I could be wrong, of course, but I think that there really wasn't any clearly female pokemon in Ash's team until Chikorita showed up. Although, many people could argue Chikorita is a boy too. Remember, in the begining, she was a bit of a tomboy, a tough girl. She got more feminine when she evolved... but unfortunately, lost a bit of her charming character in the process.

Anyways, we also have to remember that this is an anime show in its kiddiest form. Many male characters really have girlish appearances, both pokemon AND people. If Ash's Pikachu was a girl, no one who had seen one second of the show wouldn't have had ANY doubt about that. He'd have larger eyes, eyelashes (even the female Charizard had eyelashes), I'm sure they'd have found a way to slip in a little heart birthmark somewhere on him.

Oh, and to PokemonTrainerLisa who quoted me about the 'buddy' thing earlier (sorry for the late response) - yeah, I know buddy is a synonim for friend, but I have never EVER heard a native English speaker call a female friend buddy OR pal (except maybe in jest), which are Ash's favourite ways of adressing Pikachu aside from... er... actually calling him Pikachu. ^.^'

But, I guess if you believe Pikachu is female he/she will always be female to you and that's perfectly fine by me. ^.^

Miralu

I am sorry ladies, but Pikachu is a boy. Below are my reasons:

1. Chikarita had a crush on Pikachu during the 2nd Episode (where she runs away and Pikachu saves her from the badies). Prof Oak. said Chikoritaa is a girl. So either the two are in a female:female relationship or Pikachu is male.

2. Buneary is a female. May, Max, Brock, and several others have refered to it as a female. She has also willingly chosen to wear a "dress" in one episode while Pikachu chose to dress up like a "prince" suggesting the gender roles.

3. Snivy used attract on Pikachu. Noone has called into question the fact is is a girl and therefore Pikachu MUST be a male. Not to mention Buneary...

4. Ash himself has refered to Pikachu on numerous occasions as a boy. See the Ghost Tower in Kanto, Pokemon Academy, Pikachu and Goliath, and etc.

So in short: Either ALL of the female pokemon (Chikorita, Buneary, Snivy) are boys who like a female Pikachu or more likely they are girls liking a male one.

Case closed. (Great Anime!) Now then, a more pressing question is when will the yellow rodent evolve? I am betting it will happen in BW. Nintendo is clear in their efforts to set this season and region apart from all of the others.

I will wager that Pikachu encounters another of its kind (3rd time. Happens in each major region) and loses. From this, HE finally chooses to evolve due to the nature of the circumstances (maybe one of Ash's pokemon is also taken).

PokemonOwn

Pikachu has been confirmed to be Male.

In the Episode: "Where No Togepi Has Gone before!", Togepi used Attract on the Pokemon. Togepi was a Female (Because it worked on Meowth, who is also Male) and used it on Pikachu, Piplup, Croagunk and Meowth. It didn't work on Jessie's Yanmega because the Pokemon indicated that itself, was Female, so it wasn't affected. That must mean that the other Four Pokemon are Male, otherwise they wouldn't have been affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.