• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Ash's Krookodile overrated?

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
Hi, I hope you've had a wonderful christmas :). I'd like to ask your opinion about whether or not Ash's Krookodile is overrated as a battler.

I personally think it is a bit overrated. I think it is certainly strong, but I think it's not as close to Ash's GPICCS as some people seem to think. I know Krookodile beat Iris's Dragonite and Stephan's Sawk, but I honestly think it gets too much credit for those wins. Krookodile beat Iris's Dragonite, but that was partly because after landing 1 hit on Dragonite after evolving, Dragonite started to rampage around and stopped concentrating on battling.

I'm not saying Dragonite would have won if it it concentrated on battling, but I think it was possible for Dragonite to win, though I am leaning towards Krookodile winning. Still, I would give more praise for Krookodile if it would've won despite Dragonite focusing on battle. I do give Krookodile praise for showing it's attacks were able to seriously damage Dragonite, though.

However, I've always thought Iris's Dragonite's power level fluctuated a lot. It was really overpowered when it battled against Beartic and Mamoswine, but after those battles it never won again. I think Dragonite's power level was lower when it fought against Ash's Krokorok/Krookodile, since Krokorok tanked multiple hits against Dragonite unlike Beartic and Mamoswine.

Sure it's possible Krokorok was stronger than Beartic and Mamoswine, but I don't think it was THAT much stronger that it would be able to endure multiple attacks while Beartic and Mamoswine fell after 1 attack (well Mamoswine fell in 2 technically since it endured Dragonite's throwing before Dragon Rush).

I think Krookodile's win over Stephan's Sawk is one victory it definitely often gets much too praise in my humble opinion. Leavanny did almost all the damage to Sawk, Krookodile only finished it. Sure, Krookodile was also very tired, but unlike Sawk it got plenty of time to rest before it's fight with Sawk. And Sawk was still able to cause problems for Krookodile after their Close Combat/Dragon Claw fight, and I think Sawk would have won if Krookodile wouldn't have had Aerial Ace. Granted, having an Aerial Ace is by no means cheating (XD) and Sawk did have a type advantage, but because of the circumstances, I don't think that one battle showed Ash's Krookodile is stronger than Stephan's Sawk. Both are strong, and if they would fight full strenght each, I think battle could go either way.

I agree that Brycen's Beartic and Stephan's Liepard are good victories for Krookodile, though. I think Krookodile is strong and has potentialo to become better, but for now I think it's low tier 2/high tier 3. Of course this is just my opinion and you have every right to disagree.

Also, to make certain you know this thread's point, I'm not asking whether or not you think Krookodile is overrated as a character, only as a battler.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Krookodile is weird. It hasn't really done anything incredible like Pikachu (Vs Tobias, Brandon, Alain, Tyson, etc), Charizard (Vs Gary, Noland), Sceptile (Vs Spenser, Tobias), Infernape (Vs Sinnoh gyms, Paul), Snorlax (Vs Gary, Harrison, Greta). At the same time, it and Pignite are the only contenders for regional powerhouse of BW, and the fact that it was teased as an ace in XY&Z post-commercial feature confirms that. It reminds me of Heracross honestly in terms of how it's perceived.

Other hints of its power: "BW is the new OS" and Krookodile is another fully evolved reptilian Pokemon. And I'm inclined to think the writers intentionally chose not to use Krookodile, Leavanny, and Palpitoad in Vs Cameron, because otherwise there would have been no 'reasonable' portrayal of Ash losing, since he would have more than enough firepower against Hydreigon and Riolu/Lucario.

Last edited:

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
Krookodile is weird. It hasn't really done anything incredible like Pikachu (Vs Tobias, Brandon, Alain, Tyson, etc), Charizard (Vs Gary, Noland), Sceptile (Vs Spenser, Tobias), Infernape (Vs Sinnoh gyms, Paul), Snorlax (Vs Gary, Harrison, Greta). At the same time, it and Pignite are the only contenders for regional powerhouse of BW, and the fact that it was teased as an ace in XY&Z post-commercial feature confirms that. It reminds me of Heracross honestly in terms of how it's perceived.

Other hints of its power: "BW is the new OS" and Krookodile is another fully evolved reptilian Pokemon. And I'm inclined to think the writers intentionally chose not to use Krookodile, Leavanny, and Palpitoad in Vs Cameron, because otherwise there would have been no 'reasonable' portrayal of Ash losing, since he would have more than enough firepower against Hydreigon and Riolu/Lucario.

I actually somewhat agree about Krookodile being like Heracross in that way (at least if I got right what you were after). Heracross is also a Pokemon which is generally considered to be very strong, and while I agree about Heracross being strong and I love Heracross, it lacks truly great feats imo. It has a few good/really good feats but nothing outstanding. I've actually often wondered if Heracross is as strong as some people think as well. I think both Heracross and Krookodile are strong, but they need one good battle for me to put them (or at least consider) in high tier 2, such as defeating 2 Pokemon in a row and on their own in the league or against a powerful gym leader. In other words, both Pokemon are very badass and cool looking and are portrayed as strong compared to most of Ash's Johto/Unova Pokemon, but when it comes to analyzing their feats, both lack truly great achievements, which is something I would expect from High tier 2 Pokemon (such as Swellow beating 2 of Tyson's Pokemon and making a crack in Metagross's armor and it's fight against Tucker and it's overall stubborness, Bulbasaur's battles against Jackson's Magneton and Meganium and Brandon's Dusclops and Solrock and the endurance and willpower it showed, and Gliscor taking out Paul's Drapion and enduring a lot of attacks from Paul's Ninjask, Drapion and Electivire before going down and it's hit and run strategy).

As for Cameron, while I agree bringing in Krookodile/Palpitoad/Leavanny would probably help Ash to win, Cameron could also fix that problem by bringing in 6 Pokemon instead of 5. :p :D

MattySadler

Whilst most of the Pokemon franchise features Pokemon with actual defined levels, the Pokemon anime does not, and one thing I've learned from years of watching anime shows is that many fans like to be able to rank characters in order of strength (see Dragon Ball Z). It would be easy if we knew the levels of these Pokemon, so we could just say "so and so is level 70 and so and so is level 67" or whatever, but this is pretty restrictive in terms of storytelling, so they've basically left levels alone in the series (wisely so, in my opinion). Instead, we basically judge Pokemon based on their "feats", as you put it. Their wins and losses.

As well as this, in each region, Ash's team tends to contain at least one obvious "superstar" who towers above the rest, such as Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape and Greninja, and these guys generally have some pretty impressive victories under their belts. As Maldread correctly pointed out, the Unova region lacks an obvious "superstar", but people are still going to try and pick out the "superstar", because that's just how people work. Krookodile and Pignite are the biggest contenders, but I wouldn't say either of them are anywhere near Ash's actual "superstars".

So yeah, I'd say Krookodile is probably overrated.

On the subject of levels, I'd love to see someone try to predict what levels each of Ash's Pokemon are. May be worth a thread!

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Krookodile was treated like Jesus by fans during BW iirc, and I didn't see why. I mean, he was strong, but then again so was Pignite.

phanpycross

God-king
Weird choice for a call-out thread.

It's considered a decent Tier-2 with some of the best battles in the saga over it's belt. Not really anything overrated compared to, say, Ash-greninja, Goodra, or some of Paul(Alain's pokemon).

ZilverLox

Banned
Krookodile was very strong, so I don't think it was overrated. It's not as strong as Charizard, but maybe stronger than Infernape.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Krookodile wasn't particularly exuberant as a battler, it was just in a saga where the rest of the mons on Ash's roster weren't very remarkable either in that sense, and when you're a fully evolved three staged Pokemon with a cool personality and a dragon type move you stand out

It finally putting an end to Dragonite's ridiculous win streak also helped

I guess like Heracross you could call it a "sub ace" because it's got the power, just not the focus

Last edited:

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Weird choice for a call-out thread.

It's considered a decent Tier-2 with some of the best battles in the saga over it's belt. Not really anything overrated compared to, say, Ash-greninja, Goodra, or some of Paul(Alain's pokemon).

I don't see how Ash-Greninja is overrated given its track record of beating the Evil Ninja Captain, destroying Sawyer's Sceptile the first time, holding its own against Alain's Charizard the second time and Diantha's Gardevoir, dominating Wulfric's Mega Abomasnow, one-shotting Tomo's Altaria, beating Sawyer's Mega Sceptile, and showing a good battle against Alain's Mega Charizard in the finals, not to mention that its only ties are from the strain of the connection between Ash and Greninja, and his losses barring the finals were from Ash himself being tilted instead of Greninja. It is certainly one of Ash's best Pokemon and deserves its reputation.

Goodra I get though since it's win rate is only so high due to the few amount of battles it was in before its release, being against Tierno and Clemont, both of which it won.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Krookodile was very strong, so I don't think it was overrated. It's not as strong as Charizard, but maybe stronger than Infernape.

Krookodile didn't seem to be on par with Infernape to me, but I'll give him credit for being Ash's toughest Unova pokemon. :]

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
It's exactly where most people believe it should be in; around high tier 2. It doesn't have a great resume, but it was always strong in it's limited appearances and it is not crazy to think it can pull off what some of the tier 1's pulled off.

Navin

MALDREAD
How about a more relevant topic for the times:

Is (Ash-)Greninja overrated?

God if Swellow is there might as well put in Talonflame and Staraptor while we're at it

/s ?

-----

Anyway, Krookodile needs one signature win to place it among the regional powerhouse ranks, but it's probably deserving to be recognized among the next-best of Ash's Pokemon.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I don't think that Krookodile is overrated, but that's mainly because I haven't seen him in the same discussion as Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile, Snorlax, Infernape, and Ash-Greninja (who I do think is overrated). As others have said, we haven't seen that big a body of work from Krookodile to properly gauge his strength since the Unova League seemed to be one of the weaker leagues that Ash has participated in. I do think he is a solid tier 2, though.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Unless Krookodile comes back and has a Charizard like performance it will always be in the Tier 2 section with Pikachu,Swellow,Heracross,Kingler,Bulbasaur,Gliscor,andGlalie