• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Ash's league regression because of his vow renewal at the end of DP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
At the end of the Diamond and Pearl saga, we saw ash Brock and dawn contemplating what their futures would be like. I believe this took place in DP 191. And in this episode, Brock decided to pursue becoming a doctor, Dawn decided to stay in Sinnoh, and Ash renewed his vow to become Pokemon master. My question is, was this done intentionally to symbolize, and once again, emphasize the "fresh start" that people claimed Best Wishes to be at first? Is it possible that it was planned for ash to regress in his league placement from the start of Best Wishes? Also, this isn't a thread to discuss how Ash lost and how much hatred there is for Cameron.

Discuss.

LizardonX

Banned
The answer is no. nothing led up to the reset.

I think this series was supposed to be more of a reboot. It definitely felt that way to me. Ash and TR are both way different than they were in DP.

Graham Aker

What do you mean? dropping down in rank? because hes the same guy he hasn't regressed.

He clearly doesn't act with the same maturity he had before, and regressing is doing worse than previously...so yes he regressed. Not quite sure what show you're watching.

gohan5

Irisboy
What do you mean? dropping down in rank? because hes the same guy he hasn't regressed.

This. I never got the he's regressed excuse. You go after something that many times it makes sense that you don't always get better. Now if he was facing the same people at the same league with the same pokemon over and over again then you'd have reason to be upset.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DP191 was actually the series finale of Pokemon. Everything from Kanto through Johto and AG ended with DP's 191 episode. That was the true finale of Ash's story.

What we're watching now is just an alternate version of Ash set in a different timeline that likes to sweep most previous stuff under the rug.

Graham Aker

This. I never got the he's regressed excuse. You go after something that many times it makes sense that you don't always get better. Now if he was facing the same people at the same league with the same pokemon over and over again then you'd have reason to be upset.

What other anime's do you know of where the main character goes backwards in progression?

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
when I say I regress, I mean literal regression in his league placement. I'm not talking about his ability to compete or his skill level. don't get it twisted.

gohan5

Irisboy
What other anime's do you know of where the main character goes backwards in progression?

Any shonen anime, they always go through some big development before being tossed like a ragdoll in the next arc.

when I say I regress, I mean literal regression in his league placement. I'm not talking about his ability to compete or his skill level. don't get it twisted.

I gave reason for that already.

Terror Of Master

Can I troll yet? 8)
DP191 was actually the series finale of Pokemon. Everything from Kanto through Johto and AG ended with DP's 191 episode. That was the true finale of Ash's story.

What we're watching now is just an alternate version of Ash set in a different timeline that likes to sweep most previous stuff under the rug.
BW Ash killed the previous Ash and has access to all of his Pokemon

RVD_fan

I honestly don't feel like Ash as a battler has regressed, in his battle against Stephan he looked more experienced, more prepared, and had a better game plan in place. Maybe he's not where he was when he was facing Paul, but he still looks about as strong as he did around the end of DP. I genuinely thought he might win the tournament just because he was battling better than anyone. I think it's his Pokemon that let him down, and the blame may be on him for not training them enough, but I don't think Ash's battling skill has regressed significantly compared to the end of DP.

Graham Aker

Any shonen anime, they always go through some big development before being tossed like a ragdoll in the next arc.

Except the main characters always improve to a new level acquire more skills. They move forward in development. Which clearly wasn't shown or displayed in the league. This series has been all about moving forward, not backwards.

Last edited:

gohan5

Irisboy
In a tournament with Pokemon that have to be raised from the ground up. There's not much to compare since Ash isn't actually fighting himself. Like they say, there's always somebody better, it's not that difficult. A champion wifi player could get pwnd tomorrow, same thing applies. It's not like he was out in the prelims so what's the big deal?

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
In a tournament with Pokemon that have to be raised from the ground up. There's not much to compare since Ash isn't actually fighting himself. Like they say, there's always somebody better, it's not that difficult. A champion wifi player could get pwnd tomorrow, same thing applies. It's not like he was out in the prelims so what's the big deal?

it's a big deal simply because of the fact that it's the first time he regresses in league placement at ALL.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
And? I already explained that. People want the anime to seem more like the games, but when something logical happens then it's hell.

Just because we question the motives of the writers doesn't mean it's hell. They've never tried shoving logic down our throats so I think it's fair to wonder why something that hasn't happened before happened now.

gohan5

Irisboy
Just because we question the motives of the writers doesn't mean it's hell. They've never tried shoving logic down our throats so I think it's fair to wonder why something that hasn't happened before happened now.

There is no answer, that's all you can say. Stuff like this is part luck and part skill, just like the games. That's as best as I can say, but it's not a big deal.

Nightstar1994

Finally someone knows what we're talking about. I was thinking the same, BW Ash is not possible to be the old Ash in any way. Not with the current writers standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.