• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Brock useless now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure Flame

Watching Giratina and the Sky Warrior made me realize something. Brock is pretty much useless now. It's more focused on Ash's gym battles and Dawn's contests. Really, all Brock does is Ref non Gym battles and mentor them almost. Plus he cooks for them and is a comic relief with his girl obsession. But really, there doesn't seem to be any need for him anymore. He's basically dead weight, as shown in Giratina and the Sky Warrior, being left behind while the others fought Zero. What do you all think about this?

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Just in case you're wondering, ditching him somewhere would eventually kill of Ash and Dawn as well as their Pokemon, and replacing him [permanently] would be a bit useless.

And besides, since when hasn't been Brock been left behind to let Ash and complimentary female character have all the action?

Even so, Brock's role is vital to the characters, since he is more of a 'behind the scenes' person, even though he isn't really given any 'behind the scenes' roles.

Kohdok

Veteran artist
What're you talking about? Brock's ALWAYS been useless.

Bad jokes aside, Brock is the adult in this situation, the chaperon, and the source of information when the pokedex can't cut it. He's mostly there for exposition (And humor while Croagunk punches him in the kidney every time he hits on anyone)

As for replacing him... they DID replace Misty after all.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
Brock isn't that good of a battler... But he does feed Ash and Dawn and he also makes the Pokemon food. So I would say he isn't useless.

Azure Flame

I see where you guys are coming from. But if you remember correctly, Brock was replaced for the Orange Islands by Tracey, and Ash and Misty survived quite well without him. I'm sure Ash and Dawn would be able to make their own food and feed their Pokemon as well. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Tracey come back.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
I see where you guys are coming from. But if you remember correctly, Brock was replaced for the Orange Islands by Tracey, and Ash and Misty survived quite well without him. I'm sure Ash and Dawn would be able to make their own food and feed their Pokemon as well. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Tracey come back.

I think he was only replaced to change things up a little bit and Tracy did showcase Marrill...

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Aye, but Tracey > Brock caused a bit of an uproar, so they had to bring him back, while Tracey got Oaked like any Pokemon at the end of a regional saga.

And besides, Brock is the only person who has common sense anyway, so Ash and Dawn would kill themselves by some arbitrary reason anyway.

Azure Flame

Aye, but Tracey > Brock caused a bit of an uproar, so they had to bring him back, while Tracey got Oaked like any Pokemon at the end of a regional saga.

And besides, Brock is the only person who has common sense anyway, so Ash and Dawn would kill themselves by some arbitrary reason anyway.

I suppose, but there have been other characters that have shown common sense. Take Gary for example, he's more mature now and knows what he's doing. Plus, seeing him team up with Ash against J to save the Shieldon looked pretty good. And hanging out with Ash might be able to help in his Pokemon research, since he tends to attract rare Pokemon.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Eh I doubt Gary's schedule is that flexible to be able to travel with Ash, but sure, Gary seems a suitable 'substitute'.

Then again, Gary seems to be missing some sort of 'Brock-flair' xD

Azure Flame

Eh I doubt Gary's schedule is that flexible to be able to travel with Ash, but sure, Gary seems a suitable 'substitute'.

Then again, Gary seems to be missing some sort of 'Brock-flair' xD

Only because he wouldn't be after every cute girl he sees.

milenadrg

I think he is useless and it's not fair ignoring Brock. The cuties of the group(Ash and regional female) always have screentime when Brock's here, just to fill the empty hole what I don't like. Writers don't want to give him even a breeder competitions to pratice or something. If he don't sees Uxie like Ash and Dawn saw it's cousins, it will be the one of the biggest crimes EVER. I hope he is going to leave after this generation and don't mind if he leaves before the BF saga...

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
Useless would be the wrong way. He helps take care of the Pokémon and feed everyone among things.

I agree, and besides, there are whole episodes focused on Brock. He's part of the team and I don't believe he's useless at all.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
He's not focused on, but I love him. He should definitely stay, and I think they should make some sort of breeding competition for Brock to participate in.

Rex Kamex

I don't think Brock is completely useless, but I do think he ought to do more. Even as a sidekick character, I really feel he should do more. (I don't see why being a sidekick character means he should just stand around most of the time.)

1dev13

Has all the starters
I like Brock, but that was weird how he was always left behind in Giratina and the Sky Warrior...

CarLOLs

I'm from PortuLOL
Brock is needed for racial balance.
When there is a group of 3 characters on TV, one of them has to be a minority.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
He isn't as useful as he used to be I must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.