Lying in the knowledge you can use the Sacrament of Reconciliation to get away with it probably goes against the duty to uphold your honor.Code of Chivalry:
1. Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions.
2. Thou shalt defend the Church.
3. Thou shalt repect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
4. Thou shalt love the country in the which thou wast born.
5. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
6. Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.
7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
8. Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word.
9. Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone.
10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.
Nothing in today's world limits any of that. Therefore, it exists and is possible. And since that's based on Catholic beliefs, it's still following the code if you lie as long as you confess later.
#6 was probably the addition of Pope Urban II, and over the years Catholicism has reached a more mature understanding about its beliefs. Massacring other people in the name of a God that expressly forbade murder just doesn't make any moral sense.So Chivalry basically means kill Muslims for no reason. Shee-it Americans must be the most chivalrous country in the planet then. But seriously, I am quite chivalrous, but most people query why I am? Which annoys me, so Chivalry is dead, but it isn't, if you catch ma drift
I don't think chivalry means hitting things with swords anymore or worshiping in all the right way, but is really about how we interact with other people. If we choose to be polite instead of rude to the people around us (even if they don't deserve it) and honest when we could deceive, doesn't this mean we still in some way hold ourselves to a code of honor?
I suppose what I'm really asking is it even worth it to practice an honor code towards other people, be it modern chivalry or Bushido?