• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Chivalry dead?

DarthVader

Of course not, you idiot woman.

I'll assume this is directed at me because I made the post right before this one. First, I am not a woman. Secondly, the idea that "chivalry" demands that men offer special courtesies for women, but not for other men, is very common at least where I live. So it is not "of course not" to a lot of people.

flameswy

Lord of Light
Code of Chivalry:

1. Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions.

Difficult, since its so divided now a days. following the Lutheran code, yes.

2. Thou shalt defend the Church.[/QUOTE]

Of course.

3. Thou shalt repect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.[/QUOTE]

An easy to do goal, but not often thought of. Ive done this unconsciously..

4. Thou shalt love the country in the which thou wast born.[/QUOTE]

Of course.

5. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.[/QUOTE]

Need I answer? Never.

6. Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. this is difficult to practice. Id go with Ghandi on this one.

7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.[/QUOTE]

Ermm. Yes.

8. Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word.[/QUOTE]

Verrrry hard. cant say i fulfilled this one.

9. Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Define largess?

10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil. [/QUOTE]

Hmm. Well...

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
I'll assume this is directed at me because I made the post right before this one. First, I am not a woman. Secondly, the idea that "chivalry" demands that men offer special courtesies for women, but not for other men, is very common at least where I live. So it is not "of course not" to a lot of people.

You need to check your sarcasm detector, stat.

And no I wasn't referring to you anyway.

there is a chanse yes, but to do that it takes something that will cost something dear to all humanity.

destroy worldwide civilisation followed by taking control and give humanity the oppertunity to re-build everything from the first stone this time with the current available technology, adolf hitler also had plans for that but he ****ed up big time with his nazinism and purification stuff.

chanse is you'll end up like him though, people are born with the instinct to kill things they see as a treath.

Great ideas here - thanks for sharing peeps.

Flame of Madness

I didn't do it!
I'm pretty sure it's not. I still hold doors for people (especially women) if possible, pull out the chair for the girl sitting next to me in the library when we're leaving, and stuff like that. I'm not sure but I think that she was referring to something like this, so there's no need to bring religion in.

Rules said:
But No Religion or Politics Please, unless in the Debate Forum.

Kitty Aruseus

The werewolf cometh.
We should make a quiz about this. Make the code the questions and the answers Yes or No.

Code of Chivalry:

1. Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions.

No can do, sorry.

2. Thou shalt defend the Church.

That's reasonable. I'd gladly defend a Church, as well those who choose to follow it.

3. Thou shalt repect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.

I'm never comfortable with taking cheap shots. Even in video games, I frown upon that sort of thing.

4. Thou shalt love the country in the which thou wast born.

Of course.

5. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.

Courage is a good thing to have. Just don't let it become foolish overconfidence.

6. Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.

That's iffy. It's usually a good idea to take into consideration who you're fighting and why.

7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.

Doing your job is always important. I don't care much for the Laws of God, though.

8. Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word.

I'm afraid that isn't possible if one wants to achieve anything resembling success in today's day and age.

9. Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone.

Sharing is caring.

10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

That'd be nice if good and evil weren't so subjective.

I hope I don't have to follow all of these to be chivalrous. Paladins are jerkaspies.

While it could depend on the country in question, I think in general chivalry is dead, and the rise of feminism was probably the cause, since chivalry is essentially a showing of superiority. IF i was a woman I would see chivalrous behavior towards me as degrading.

Totodude

Totodile Fan
To me, chuivalry is not honouring the church, or stuff like that, its honouring those things you value, and honouring, acknowledging, and accepting both fate, the ones you love, and the ones you hate.

and 2 historical side notes

1) technically the battle of Agincourt, was when "chivalry died." in stead of knights being... "delicate" in fighting eachother the outnumbered english and there archers, used visious means to take down french armour, and pride. however the statement that it is dead is false. as long as someone takes pride in something, defends it, and is understanding to at least something Chivalry will be the ever-preasent immortal, mortality here on this earth.

2) the statement that chivalry is dead in a world full of treachery, and higher classes bewidling the lower is false to. If this was true, it would have been dead before it had been thought of thanks to war, and Sun Tzu's art of war. Also chivalry does involve treachery, and "out-casting". They may be needed to defend chivalry, or secure it.

All in all, being polite and honourable is chivalry and it is very much alive.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I only have one thing to say: nice guys finish last.

FlyingSandshrew

Pokemon Breeder
In my opinion, jerks don't get the good girls or they don't deserve them.

When I am treated rudely by a man, they better expect the same behavior back, and not a silly girl falling all over herself because he's a "bad boy."

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
But women love bad boys.

RichRI322

"Chivalry" is dead. It's long been dead. You are all confusing chivalry for COURTESY. They're two completely different things. We are not a chivalrous society by any means, whatsoever. Not even the Romans are chivalrous anymore.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
Hopefully it's dead. Maybe men have realized that women are not children and can be treated like equals. And the "bad boys" thing is a myth made up by bitter "nice guys" who are mad the woman they crush on won't pick them

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Last edited:

Bobblefighter

Relic Owner
I've tried chivalry for a while, until numerous women yell at me for 'treating them like invalids' or being patronizing. Of course, it's not like that. But if they don't want me to help them by opening a door for them, well, I just push it in their faces.