• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Chivalry dead?

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Many years ago, I first read legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and it started a lifelong obsession with knighthood.

Now it's pretty hard to be a knight as a kid when Santa always forgets to bring you a pony for Christmas, when you live in a republic and can't get an aristocratic title, and when no one in their right mind will give you a real sword. But I decided years ago that if I couldn't have the trappings of knighthood, then even a commoner like I could practice chivalry!

And so for years I've done stuff like hold doors open for people or offer them my seat on the bus because I believed in chivalry. But a recent incident has caused me to question the value of chivalry in our modern world. What good is basic politeness if people think you're looking down on them and being patronizing? What good is loyalty in a world where people will stab you in the back to get to the top? In a world with specially trained professionals like EMTs, police officers, firefighters, and clinical psychologists, what is the value of never ignoring a cry for help if we aren't qualified to answer?

Maybe like Don Quixote we're just tilting at windmills, but this is an issue that I've been pondering lately, and I'd like to hear your take on the matter.

Is chivalry dead?

Is it possible to be chivalrous in the modern age?

No, it was never possible to begin with.
Get rid of guns, and it'll be easy for someone with a gun to take over.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Get rid of guns, and it'll be easy for someone with a gun to take over.
Wasn't in that an episode of The Simpsons? Where the town gits rid of the guns and the person whom Lisa thought want life with out guns came out form his grave (As a Zombie) and started shooting at poeple with his own guns?

muumajii23

I don't personally believe so. xD

I still hold doors open for people, help if necessary. I would appreciate it as well if someone did so for me as well. xD Although I do see where you are coming from.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
Many years ago, I first read legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and it started a lifelong obsession with knighthood.

Now it's pretty hard to be a knight as a kid when Santa always forgets to bring you a pony for Christmas, when you live in a republic and can't get an aristocratic title, and when no one in their right mind will give you a real sword. But I decided years ago that if I couldn't have the trappings of knighthood, then even a commoner like I could practice chivalry!

And so for years I've done stuff like hold doors open for people or offer them my seat on the bus because I believed in chivalry. But a recent incident has caused me to question the value of chivalry in our modern world. What good is basic politeness if people think you're looking down on them and being patronizing? What good is loyalty in a world where people will stab you in the back to get to the top? In a world with specially trained professionals like EMTs, police officers, firefighters, and clinical psychologists, what is the value of never ignoring a cry for help if we aren't qualified to answer?

Maybe like Don Quixote we're just tilting at windmills, but this is an issue that I've been pondering lately, and I'd like to hear your take on the matter.

Is chivalry dead?

No, chivalry is not dead. You're just not looking for it.

And, yes it's possible. If you just do it, then it's happening. Local observations=/=worldwide observations

Aksyel

Ya Soshla S Uma
Code of Chivalry:

1. Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions.
2. Thou shalt defend the Church.
3. Thou shalt repect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
4. Thou shalt love the country in the which thou wast born.
5. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
6. Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.
7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
8. Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word.
9. Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone.
10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

Nothing in today's world limits any of that. Therefore, it exists and is possible. And since that's based on Catholic beliefs, it's still following the code if you lie as long as you confess later.

denizenofevil

No it's not dead. It's just harder to find which is why it brightens my mood so much when someone does hold a door open for me and acts in a chivalrous way towards me. Even though I'm a girl, I try to hold doors open for other people, less so for men, more so for the elderly.

Cobalt_Latios

Is chivalry dead?

What? I thought all of this was common se- oh right, I should know this by now; common sense passed away some time last year. How do I keep forgetting this?

Code of Chivalry:

1. Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions.
Well... I for one dislike church quite a bit.

Nope.

3. Thou shalt repect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
Not sure how to interpret this, but I do tend to respect weakness; I prefer to look for the strengths, it's just easier.

Easy.

Depends...

6. Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.
Again, that depends. I'm not exactly sure how to interpret this either.

7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
I'm going to assume guessing is out of question.

Most, if not all of us have broken this one early on regardless. It's human nature to lie.

I try. I usually only do this if I actually don't mind, which is rather often.

10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.
Not gonna happen anytime soon, or ever, for that matter.

Nothing in today's world limits any of that. Therefore, it exists and is possible. And since that's based on Catholic beliefs, it's still following the code if you lie as long as you confess later.
Well, at least it solves that one. Now, tell me how you're going to attempt the last one, and I'll be fully convinced. At least half of those are rather difficult to do. Possible, but you need to be committed. And, I don't know many who would be.

<C_L>

Foo Fighter

Nostalgia is my pal
Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.

This basically is "jihad". Think back to the crusades where the muslims had taken the holy land. So yeah, this might not be the most 'chivalrous' thing to do in today's society.

Or maybe it is, I really don't understand the thought process of modern society today.

Foo Fighter

Nostalgia is my pal
It depends who they view as Infidel's.

Specifically during the time the document was written, it was referring to the muslim empire at the time who had taken Jerusalem. Now, I believe it was Pope Urban who launched the first Crusade, but regardless of who it was who launched it it's sole purpose was to drive the muslim 'infidels' out of Jerusalem. The pope had promised a complete remission of sins to anyone who went and eternal life and blah blah blah.

Aksyel

Ya Soshla S Uma
Well, at least it solves that one. Now, tell me how you're going to attempt the last one, and I'll be fully convinced. At least half of those are rather difficult to do. Possible, but you need to be committed. And, I don't know many who would be.

<C_L>
...That last one is just as possible as the rest, unless if you take it too literally then you fail. X3

Also, notice you said "I don't know many who would be." That means, you still know some that will. : D

mimefan

Banned
So Chivalry basically means kill Muslims for no reason. Shee-it Americans must be the most chivalrous country in the planet then. But seriously, I am quite chivalrous, but most people query why I am? Which annoys me, so Chivalry is dead, but it isn't, if you catch ma drift

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Politeness tends to come naturally to me (it justs seems like obvious common sense) and no-one's ever complained about me holding a door open for them or offering them my seat (though I only do that occasionally and generally only for my female friends). I also usually find that a door is held open for me if I'm walking behind someone. So, no, I don't think chivalry is dead.

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Nice toughts so, i come from the Guerrero and Rovelo family back in mexico a traditon of honor and war since...well a long time back in spain...so im used to those stuff i migth not own a horse but i do archery, esgrima, hammer training and hunting(whenever able) with most of the elders in my family knighthood honor and patriotism are a truth in my family...so does religion and loyalty.
So in my own experience its not dead just ignored just do not fall in the paladin syndrome(heping others and falling in love with em for their weakness forgetting your own needs) i wish u luck with ur plans.

Calvan

EXPLOSION!!!
I thought I was untill I read what the code was. Therefore i'm not that. I'm just a nice guy.

Pokemonmaster Bill

Agnet of Umbrella
it's not dead their still good guys in the world it's just that the media today make people want to be those bad a** guys and the women will flock to them.

Dante Falls

Doppelgänger
Not so important now really. 0

Same again, not so important. I'm sure the Church can defend itself too. 0

Yeah, this is pretty important. If you see someone fall with a broken leg, you sure as hell should help them up or see if they're okay. 1

Not a neccessity. But you should generally have a good relationship with the country you (voluntarily) live in, at least. 1/2

Have courage and stand-up for what you believe in, I guess. Pretty important. 1

"Infidel" here carries some questionable connotations. And the lack of mercy isn't so great. So this one's quite zealous. 0

Feudal duties...? Feudalism's gone now. No chance. 0

Generally, lying is bad. So yeah. Good one. 1

Yeah. Generosity and Charity are good. 1

Hell yeah! 1

So, 5 1/2 outta 10 isn't so bad, is it?