• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Chivalry dead?

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Code of Chivalry:

1. Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions.
2. Thou shalt defend the Church.
3. Thou shalt repect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
4. Thou shalt love the country in the which thou wast born.
5. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
6. Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.
7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
8. Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word.
9. Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone.
10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

Nothing in today's world limits any of that. Therefore, it exists and is possible. And since that's based on Catholic beliefs, it's still following the code if you lie as long as you confess later.
Lying in the knowledge you can use the Sacrament of Reconciliation to get away with it probably goes against the duty to uphold your honor.

So Chivalry basically means kill Muslims for no reason. Shee-it Americans must be the most chivalrous country in the planet then. But seriously, I am quite chivalrous, but most people query why I am? Which annoys me, so Chivalry is dead, but it isn't, if you catch ma drift
#6 was probably the addition of Pope Urban II, and over the years Catholicism has reached a more mature understanding about its beliefs. Massacring other people in the name of a God that expressly forbade murder just doesn't make any moral sense.

I don't think chivalry means hitting things with swords anymore or worshiping in all the right way, but is really about how we interact with other people. If we choose to be polite instead of rude to the people around us (even if they don't deserve it) and honest when we could deceive, doesn't this mean we still in some way hold ourselves to a code of honor?

I suppose what I'm really asking is it even worth it to practice an honor code towards other people, be it modern chivalry or Bushido?

Last edited:

Profesco

gone gently
I suppose what I'm really asking is it even worth it to practice an honor code towards other people, be it modern chivalry or Bushido?

Of course it is. You can't expect everyone else to act the same way, as said in your first post, but that doesn't matter. Doing good is for yourself; it is your own personal merit. Not having it reciprocated by others does not make it worthless. Rather, I think it would make it all the more valuable. Nor should you be honorable simply for the purpose of making yourself better than those who aren't, as the second hubris supports your motivation, you are no longer honorable.

It is worth it for yourself. Being good is its own reward.

eevee909

Your ladyship
all I want is a boy to hold the door for me or offer there chair to an old man or lady. and a little respect would be nice. screw all the defende the church.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I like to think I'm chivalrous, in both the "holding doors open" and the "slaying the enemies of the Church" aspects.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
It depends who they view as Infidel's.

You're all infidels! Bow to the awesome power of Raptor Jesus, or he shall smite you!

Hey wait, I thought we were talking about chivalry, not infidelity.

On-topic: chivalry is hanging by a thread. It's not totally dead, but his grave has been dug and prepared.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Is chivalry dead?

Is it possible to be chivalrous in the modern age?

there is a chanse yes, but to do that it takes something that will cost something dear to all humanity.

destroy worldwide civilisation followed by taking control and give humanity the oppertunity to re-build everything from the first stone this time with the current available technology, adolf hitler also had plans for that but he ****ed up big time with his nazinism and purification stuff.

chanse is you'll end up like him though, people are born with the instinct to kill things they see as a treath.

mesvedesoong

For those of you too dumb to understand what I'm trying to say is, no telling a hormonal teen to runaway from her parents, or telling a genuinely ****ed up person to end their life. We all know that the internet is SRS BUZNIZ but mewskittys tend to hang around threads like these. If the advice you give is downright stupid, illogical, or dangerous for the person recieving it, etc, you can count on having the house dropped on you.

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Of course it is. You can't expect everyone else to act the same way, as said in your first post, but that doesn't matter. Doing good is for yourself; it is your own personal merit. Not having it reciprocated by others does not make it worthless. Rather, I think it would make it all the more valuable. Nor should you be honorable simply for the purpose of making yourself better than those who aren't, as the second hubris supports your motivation, you are no longer honorable.

It is worth it for yourself. Being good is its own reward.
Indeed.
What bothers me though, is that while I accept the fact that my politeness is going to be taken advantage of by most of the populace, I can't understand why I don't see even a few people extending the same courtesy? Not just to me, but to other people. It's like my actions are stones dropped into a well with no splash and no ripples, sinking to the bottom without a trace.
I believe you're right that our chivalrous actions are, at least indirectly, for ourselves, but if my actions are having absolutely no effect on the world around me how can I respect myself for chivalrous actions when it looks like I'm just giving everyone else a chance to take advantage of me or take offense?

Profesco

gone gently
Indeed.
What bothers me though, is that while I accept the fact that my politeness is going to be taken advantage of by most of the populace, I can't understand why I don't see even a few people extending the same courtesy? Not just to me, but to other people. It's like my actions are stones dropped into a well with no splash and no ripples, sinking to the bottom without a trace.
I believe you're right that our chivalrous actions are, at least indirectly, for ourselves, but if my actions are having absolutely no effect on the world around me how can I respect myself for chivalrous actions when it looks like I'm just giving everyone else a chance to take advantage of me or take offense?

Because your actions do have effect. For one moment, your politeness granted some other human being the chance to see that good exists. For one tiny speck of infinity, you made someone acknowledge kindness. Even if they don't reciprocate, you shone for that instant, and bettered someone's life for it. You should not base your self-respect on how others return the treatment you grant them, but on your ability to treat others rightly.

Besides, not every action's reaction will be focused on you, or even visible to you. If you spend your time looking for the positive transformations catalyzed by your kindness, you will find the world a depressingly futile and horrific place. u_u

AlanL

Infinite Curiosity
It seems people are getting chivalry mixed up with courtesy. Holding doors open isn't mentioned anywhere in the code of chivalry. It's considered courtesy to do so.

A lot of people think that people were nicer back in those days than today, when that's simply not the case. Take for instance when the lord of the land would come around to collect from the serfs. If you were a serf and refused to pay, you'd end up with an iron plated fist slamming into your face, then it would get taken anyway... if the lord was merciful, and didn't have you executed. Not to mention, women were considered property as much as livestock were in those days.

Much of the apparent niceness either came from people romanticizing an otherwise ugly society, or the fact that the punishment for most lawbreaking was a long, painful death.

Modern courtesy does exist, but it's on a case by case basis. I'll hold open the door for men and women equally, and both men and women have held open the door for me. I also have had both genders let the door close right in front of me.

I and many others follow a simple rule: treat people with courtesy and respect unless they show they don't deserve it. Some people are just nicer than others.

Profesco

gone gently
Hah, we do seem to have flown off into a more general topic, haven't we, AlanL? :p

I don't think we're mixing up the definitions, per se, but rather we're just following the threads of thought. Although, I'd bet my bottom dollar that knights held doors open, too. ;3

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
i'm always courteous until someone is rude to me - i don't know if that counts as any of the various definitions of chivalry used itt

For those of you too dumb to understand what I'm trying to say is, no telling a hormonal teen to runaway from her parents, or telling a genuinely ****ed up person to end their life. We all know that the internet is SRS BUZNIZ but mewskittys tend to hang around threads like these. If the advice you give is downright stupid, illogical, or dangerous for the person recieving it, etc, you can count on having the house dropped on you.

wait what

Spire

soiya
I consider myself extremely chivalrous in the modern definition of the word (which is more like courteous).

Still, Grizzly is both chivalrous and metal, which is something I need to work on.

I don't think chivelry is dead yet. Well, atleast I hope not, cause I have basicly been doing that whole code all my life. xD Opening doors for others, helping them out, stuff like that.

mimefan

Banned
I don't think chivelry is dead yet. Well, atleast I hope not, cause I have basicly been doing that whole code all my life. xD Opening doors for others, helping them out, stuff like that.

And killing Muslims? 'Cause that was written to kill the poor things. True story.

RichRI322

I don't personally believe so. xD

I still hold doors open for people, help if necessary. I would appreciate it as well if someone did so for me as well. xD Although I do see where you are coming from.

You're confusing chivalry with courtesy. Holding a door for someone is NOT chivalry. Not by definition either. Chivalry is standing when a lady enters the room, standing when a lady leaves the table, bowing when you meet the father of a lady, etc. Chivalry has been dead for a long time because our society no longer continues with these mannerisms.

Holding a door for somebody is not chivalry. That is basic courtesy and if you didn't hold the door for someone, then that is what we call rude.

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Then how shall we define modern chivalry? I know now I'm not giving up on it, and I've seen several books in my local bookstore that interpret the Samurai's honor code, the Code of Bushido, for the modern age.

What kind of Chivalry does 21st century society need?

Last edited:

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
What kind of Chivalry does 21st century society need?

Non-Romantic Chivalry. Seriously, I hate it when I help a girl pick up her books and tell the guy who book-floped her to cut it out and then they go all "OMG ILU" on me. I was just being nice =\

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Here's a philosophy of mine; If everyone watched out for themselves, then there'd be a lot of conflicting opinions and struggle, and you'd end up with only one person (you) watching your back. However, if everyone tries to help everyone, you've got 6 billion people watching out for you.