• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Chivalry dead?

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Charizard Champion#06 said:
Chivalry is not dead. As long as there are people like the original poster who still believe in it and practice it, it is still alive.

Yeah. That just means it's floundering like an epileptic trout out of water.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Chivalry is not dead. As long as there are people like the original poster who still believe in it and practice it, it is still alive.

Something can be dead long before it's killed. Just look at a relationship that's 5 years and going.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Yes, chivalry is dead. the concept of being a gentleman and doing good for others can't die persay, but chivalry as a life style is dead. Hiro from the book The Kimira Code put it best "In war now, there is no honor. You cannot see the life drain from the enemy's eyes. You cannot feel the wretchedness of drawing blood. Warfare has lost all honor."
Chivalry was meant to be practiced by knights valiantly riding into battle, and since now battles are fought with drones, special forces and long distace weaponry, very few battles are fought.
So yes chivalry is dead, but that doesn't mean I can't help out hot girls.

Hero

OOHH YEE YOU WANT ME
Yes, chivalry is dead. the concept of being a gentleman and doing good for others can't die persay, but chivalry as a life style is dead. Hiro from the book The Kimira Code put it best "In war now, there is no honor. You cannot see the life drain from the enemy's eyes. You cannot feel the wretchedness of drawing blood. Warfare has lost all honor."
Chivalry was meant to be practiced by knights valiantly riding into battle, and since now battles are fought with drones, special forces and long distace weaponry, very few battles are fought.

I don't think your metaphor quite stands up.

FlyingSandshrew

Pokemon Breeder

What world are you living in? And I think it's boys like you that make people wonder if chivalry is dead. :/

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I try to be as curtious as possible. But that doesnt mean you cant be unwavering when people push. You have to pick your battles. And any civilian can be CPR certified as long as there aren't any pre-existing infection issues. That's definitely worth something.

Last edited:

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Chivalry surprisingly is practiced often at my College, which actually would be surprising given the stereotype we're associated with. Depending on how close someone is to the door, we will always attempt to hold the door, even for a stranger (both guys and girls).

It doesn't hurt though that it also means that the other person doesn't have to whip out their ID card to get into the Dorms.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Chivalry is dead, and skin tight short-shorts killed it. I'm not going to treat a girl like a lady if she's dressing like a ****.

IJuggler

how much words
Chivalry can't die. Not everywhere.

People think it's dead because, from their experiences (or from second hand experiences, sometimes) it isn't common. But just because not every person is polite and helpful, doesn't mean chivalry is dead. It just means that the people who do practice it are devoted.

Last edited:

yimjeric

Paradoxical
In my opinion, i believe that the original code of Chivalry is gone. As explain by many posters, some of them have already been seen as impossible (not being able to lying), not Necessary (protecting churches!?) or just plain wrong (massacre and taking land; good bye world peace).

However, in this new age, the code of Chivalry seems to be changing into being courteous. Although i believe that a word has already been established (gallantry).

Just like how warfare has changed over the centuries, the code of chivalry needs to modernize. Sadly, it's the only way for it to continue it's legacy (no matter how bad it was).

Djevelsk

Fabled Sex God
The Chivalry is proven to be more sincere when you realise you're doing some good for that person. You've just got to understand that even if that person doesn't appreciate you, you're still making their life just a little bit better.

DarthVader

Chivalry is not dead, because it if was, then we would not be speaking of it. However, it is dying and will probably be dead within our lifetimes.

While people giving up seats or holding doors open for others is respectable, I can't say that I do it myself. Also, if people do this, it shouldn't exclusively be for women in my opinion.