• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is cloning cheating?

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
You're never going to be able to stop it and there is always those that have opinions towards both sides. I personally do not and have no desire to clone, as I personally believe it to be cheating for the various reasons that many had already mentioned, such as it is exploiting a piece of the game that the game designers clearly never meant to be able to be done. Also the fact that, as the OP said, it is putting more of a certain Pokemon into circulation making it less rare at no expense. It took no effort to clone said Pokemon a hundred times and "taint" the market for the Pokemon.

JohnLynch

I think it's up to everyone to decide for themselves. I think those offering cloned Pokemon should be up front about it so that those who dislike the practice can avoid those Pokemon. I also think those who have an issue with should be up front about it so they aren't accidentally given a cloned Pokemon.

Personally for me the whole "gotta catch them all" aspect of Pokemon is the hardest and most enjoyable aspect. With trading now available on a global scale, I no longer see cloning as a necessary evil but instead simply cheating in a way that cheapens rare Pokemon and impacts other people's enjoyment of the game. However I don't begrudge anyone doing it as I did it back in the Pokemon Red days (before breeding).

Virtual Headache

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
As long no external device is used it isn't cheating to me. But I'd still like to be informed if someone traded me a clone. I recently thought about cloning some more valuable Pokémon before transferring them from Gen IV to Gen V so they don't get lost from my games forever, but I'm probably going to be too lazy to do that^^;

I think it's abusing a glitch. Some people don't think it's fair, I don't mind it and used it a lot in gen 2 and 3. A few times in gen 4 too.
If I put a clone up for trading, I always tell the other party about it, just in case they see it as cheating. So they won't feel scammed if they do the trade since they know it before they trade their pokemon.

Livingtime

It is cheating! Please tell me how it isn't? Are you not getting something without earning it? It's cheating.

Cloning shinies REALLY ticks me off the most. Unfortunately it's the most common type of cloning. Now, I only use my own games for getting shinies, legendaries and event pokemon.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
It isn't to me.

I mean, I get my shinies cloned, but the clones are still clones. I don't count them as hacks or glitches. It's like saying Mewtwo isn't worth being a Pokemon coz its a clone of Mew, nya~

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It isn't to me.

I mean, I get my shinies cloned, but the clones are still clones. I don't count them as hacks or glitches. It's like saying Mewtwo isn't worth being a Pokemon coz its a clone of Mew, nya~
Evidence points out that Porygon-Z was made outside of Sliph Co.'s say so, so I think it is legitimate if we abuse copyright.

Just because there is an in-game script, does not necessarily mean you should translate it as something you do with the game itself.