• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is EV training cheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was cheating they wouldn't have put it in the game. Using EVed Pokémon against someone who does not EV train is unfair, but it is not cheating.

How is using EVed Pokemon against non-EV-trainers unfair? If they choose to not EV train, why shouldn't I? Why should that restrict me from EV training? It's their choise to not EV train, and my choice to EV train.

I've been called cheater by my cousin regulary, because my own bred and EV trained non-legendary Pokemon are much stronger than his hacked legendary Pokemon he caught at Lv.100, I know how it feels. I tried to explain him how EV training works, but he doesn't listen and calls me a cheater (while he cheats by getting hacked Pokemon, I take time for and put effort into raising Pokemon).

Everything that is possible within the limits of the game (except for glitches) is legal and isn't cheating. If you bypass the boundaries of the game, for example by hacking, it is cheating.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Absolutely not. EVs are an in-game mechanic, and there are even items specifically made for EV training (vitamins, power items, macho brace)

Vandslaux

This is exactly like asking if RNGing is cheating.

No.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Everything that is possible within the limits of the game (except for glitches) is legal and isn't cheating. If you bypass the boundaries of the game, for example by hacking, it is cheating.

For an exact definition, hacking is putting data into the game that wasn't previously there. Anything that is a result of game mechanics, including EV training and RNGing, is not hacking. Cheating is an incredibly subjective term, though, so it's entirely up to opinion.

Game Maker

Memento Mori
It's only cheating if it's against the rules. Nothing naturally prevnts you from EV-training, so it's technically not cheating.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Of course not! It's been a part of the games. But some people kinda don't understand about it which is why some think it's cheating or have no idea what it is at all when they hear about it.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
NO!!! It was created byGF, so they have it in there for a reason; to make pokemon stronger.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
It's only cheating if it's against the rules. Nothing naturally prevnts you from EV-training, so it's technically not cheating.

Are there any rules in the games that explicitly state that you're not allowed to hack? I have a couple hacked pokemon in my White and my game has never complained about it.

The Creator

I Rule All
It's something that is programmed into the game which means it is in no way cheating.

pseudoman

Well, i guess most of the posts so far make it official: your friend is salty that he lost.

I usually destroy my friends in pokemon because I have an idea of what is supposed to do what, when its supposed to do it and how. I know that one of my friends put in an astonishing 739 hours into his game and they're just now getting an idea what EV's are. By comparison, my Diamond only has 86 hours.

Do you have any of the games with wifi battle videos? i suggest downloading some good ones(the vgc style ones work very well) and showing them how some pokemon are stronger than others at doing certain things once you train them. Since then hes made a lot of improvement.

BIGJRA

Catchin' Em All
Yes, it is. Nintendo doesn't flat out tell you how to ev train, people just use it to basically cheat in battle.

XXD17

Draco rex
No it's not...training a pokemon doesn't mean simply beating up random pokemon and gaining levels...training means honing a specific kind of skill...and EV training is a way to hone in a two particular skills and making them their full potential...it's just training...

Ioneos

old geezer
It's not cheating, it's the same as training yourself for the Olympics. For example, if you're participating in the 100m sprint (or switch in-attack-die), then you wouldn't swim (battle +def Pokemon), now would you? It's just selective training, nothing wrong with that. I also don't think that EV vs no EV battles are unfair. It's just a choice the trainer has to make, so why would it be unfair? True, it's a disadvantage, but not one that can't be helped.

Lanik

Like the majority said: no.

EV trained Pokémon have above average stats. It takes patience to EV train your Pokémon, given you have to knock out specific Pokémon targets in order to EV train properly. These EV-enhancing items are in the games for good reasons; and the most obvious reason is, to make your Pokémon strong. If it was cheating, then Game Freak wouldn't have introduced it in the first place.

Your friend was foolish for accusing you as a cheater. Please bring him to your computer and prove him wrong.

Pomegranate

Fruit of Prosperity
How is using EVed Pokemon against non-EV-trainers unfair? If they choose to not EV train, why shouldn't I? Why should that restrict me from EV training? It's their choise to not EV train, and my choice to EV train.

I've been called cheater by my cousin regulary, because my own bred and EV trained non-legendary Pokemon are much stronger than his hacked legendary Pokemon he caught at Lv.100, I know how it feels. I tried to explain him how EV training works, but he doesn't listen and calls me a cheater (while he cheats by getting hacked Pokemon, I take time for and put effort into raising Pokemon).

Technically, if you're playing a random person and don't care in the least about their feelings or how much effort they put in, yeah, go EV train all you'd like and crush them. But if it's someone you know, and someone you know doesn't EV train, it is a bit on the unfair side to come at them with all your EV'd Pokemon. It's not cheating, but it is pretty rude, if you went into it knowing that the person doesn't EV train. Before my boyfriend knew about EV training whenever he wanted to battle me I would never use my EV'd team because I knew that he wasn't going to and it would just be...rude.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Technically, if you're playing a random person and don't care in the least about their feelings or how much effort they put in, yeah, go EV train all you'd like and crush them. But if it's someone you know, and someone you know doesn't EV train, it is a bit on the unfair side to come at them with all your EV'd Pokemon. It's not cheating, but it is pretty rude, if you went into it knowing that the person doesn't EV train. Before my boyfriend knew about EV training whenever he wanted to battle me I would never use my EV'd team because I knew that he wasn't going to and it would just be...rude.

EVs don't really make that much of a difference anyway if you're not playing at level 100. Every four EVs raises a stat by one point at level 100, and even less than that if you're below level 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.