• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is EV Training really [that] important?

WCLImmo

Haven't been on the Pokemon scene since a couple months after Diamond was released, but it is really that important? I used to recall doing it but if I don't plan on battling people online or anything like that, should I bother doing so?

Riversong

Buggy down.
In-game I don't bother. Unless you plan on doing the Battle Tower or whatnot, in which case EVs really help. At any rate it'd be a pain to try and EV train your team before beating the game, especially without the items you can get (like Macho Brace).

So it's all up to you; the majority of people beat the game without EV training.

projectaumaan

If you plan on doing anything other than just beating the game, then EV training is extremely important. The Battle Frontier and any type of competitive battling will be impossible without it.

Like Riversong said, it's best to wait until after at least the E4. See if you can get the EV training items from the Trade Forums to make things faster.

Aurath8

Unless your planning on challenging the battle frontier, where it would really help, don't bother EV training. Not only is it hard but it gives you an unfair advantage even if your pokemon are as many as 6 levels lower than your opponents. Sometimes I casually EV train meaning I'll fight some pokemon I happen to encounter that give useful EVs. For example I often fight Tentacool I encounter when crossing sea routes because 2/3 of my team have low Spdef or a Spdef reducing nature and the rare EVs will help them. Another being when I was training on route 25 where all pokemon gave def EVs. I chose to train for the elite 4 there over Victory Road. Some of my team have low defence and the pokemon still give good experience.

ivy

It's important for competitive battling. In the main game, you have an edge over all your opponents because you (usually) have a higher level. However, in online play and the battle frontier, your pokemon are all the same level, so you have to focus on what you want your pokemon to do (sweep, tank, sponge, ect.).

3dxbox

Yup, it's important. But like everyone says, in-game it's not so important since your pokemon are almost always higher then the opponent's.

I advice you start EV training after at least the E4 since all the good EV train spots aren't available and you don't have the Power items yet (unless you use Cheats).

Don't worry about EV's as long as you still play in-game.

WCLImmo

I'm not really going to be getting into the competitive scene for Diamond, but I plan to do so with BW so I will eventually start EV Training but not for a while.

Dragontamer1011

I only EV train for the Battle Frontier and Competitive battling. The majority of my pokemon are not EV trained because its no fun destroying people in non-competitive battles just because of EV training.

Rsr57

If you want to beat Battle Frontier and try Pokemon competitive battle, EVs are a must. If you only want them for in-game,don´t bother.

TeraDyne

Pocket Monsters Fan
Just to throw my 2 cents in, I don't EV train, and I have very little trouble with Battle Frontier. The only one that gives me trouble is Battle Factory, and that's because I don't get enough of the right rental Pokemon with good moves. That's my experience, anyway.

EV training takes all the fun out of playing. You don't see 10 year olds worrying about stuff like that.

Aurora Australis

PokéNutjob™
While I agree with most others in this thread that it doesn't really matter unless you get into competitive battling, I think that if your pokémon has a near-perfect/perfect IV in one of its superior stats, you should definitely exploit it regardless.

If you're just trying to beat the Elite 4 and finish your game, no.
If you're trying to get as far as you possibly can through the battle tower, yes.
If you're trying to be as competitive a wifi player as possible, you must.

Neekerisanni123

Kanbei <3 _ <3
If you plan on doing anything other than just beating the game, then EV training is extremely important. The Battle Frontier and any type of competitive battling will be impossible without it.

My non-EV trained Feraligatr completely destroyed Palmer's team in HG. :p And his nature is Gentle, hold item is Shell Bell, and moveset is this:

-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake

But yeah, I barely understand anything about evs, so I don't ev-train.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
For competition or beating your friends yes EV training is a must, for in game no you just need to be at a higher level than your opponents to win.

jashuwa

Trainer/Breeder
Ev training is boring and a cheap addition to pokemon. Yeah its cool but unrealistic. U catch em as they are no breeding for natures. Ur pokes r ur pokes and u battle every battle til ur epic.

LOL at the post above. You want to talk about Epic? Hop on youtube and look up some of the battles at the 2010 Pokemon World Championship. All of their pokes were RNG'd/EV'd and those were some of the most epic matches I've ever seen.

Ryuken

Steel User
A pokemon without ev training is almost useless (not always)