1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is evolution necessary?

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by N..., Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N...

N... Well-Known Member

My thread about Charizard blew up into this conversation about evolution proving strength in the anime. I made a new thread for that conversation. So what are your views? Should Ash evolve all of his weaker Pokemon? Are they strong on their own? What role does marketing play in all of this?

2. Interference

Interference Banned

Charizard evolved because Charizard is one of those very few fully evolved marketable Pokemon.

But yeah, the rule is: if it's marketable, it won't evolve.

3. jdgjordan

jdgjordan The chosen Snorlax

well in bw there trying to make another squirtle and bulbasaur and that's just not possible squirtle and bulbasaur have 20 years worth development backing them up they have no reason to evolve but ash new pokemon need to in order for us to relay take them seriously maybe not evolve to there fullest form but just one more evolve Pokemon would help but not a fully form fire starter he already has two.

4. ShinyCharyZard

ShinyCharyZard Honesty=Infractions

This would fit better in the normal Anime Discussion, since its not really a spoiler-filled thread.

My answer? No it isn't necessary, but it does make things a bit cooler and more interesting to watch.. Unless we're talking about Oshawott, because the final evolution is absolutely terrible and therefore it should remain as an Oshawott..

5. Dragalge

Dragalge This is more than 20 characters long

A Pokemon can still obtain enough development without the need to evolve. To me it isn't unnecessary but at the same time it can be a bit redundant.

6. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

If pokemon was not so hell bent on cute and marketing then yes

7. nuzamaki90

nuzamaki90 Well-Known Member

The anime concentrates more on the small and cute Pokemon rather than the cool-looking evolutions that we adore in the games.

Just look at Samurott, it's not the best looking final evo out there, but a lot of people sure as hell love it's design, but it only has 3 appearances in the anime, the movie, it's debut, and the Unova League battle. That is extremely depressing.

But then we got a "cute" little Axew that doesn't evolve, somehow knows super crazy strong Dragon-type attacks, could destroy an entire city just by chasing after a balloon, and yet it's appeared more just because it's cute and marketable.

8. Spin Attaxx

Spin Attaxx 2012-2013

Evolution's practically a Deus ex Machina at this point.

9. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid What am I doing ಠ_ಠ

Evolution isn't exactly necessary, but when a Pokemon grows stale (like Snivy), you either need to induce an evolution or teach the Pokemon a new move. When neither occurs, development is non-existent

10. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

Is evolution necessary? No....*sigh* whatever.

But are ALL the reasons to not evolve a Pokémon legitimate? No. Some are some aren't.

Pikachu's reason- It doesn't want to evolve to get stronger. That's such a BS excuse, I get that there is a time to prove one's self as is and not, but I think this message was horribly done. Because it feels like an insult to those who did evolve. Oh you had to evolve to get stronger, whoop de doo, you weak sauce creature. Maybe if the message was.....actually there's no right way of doing because in some way it'll always insult those who didn't evolve.

Bulbasaur's Reason- It wasn't ready. That's fine, but the problem seems to be that Bulbasaur refused to evolve, because was Ash was a "jerk" (that's way too soft a word) and Bulbasaur didn't like Ash's attitude. I can see how Ash's happy attitude would be insulting. "NO, I don't want a Bulbasaur, give me Ivysaur" I can see why Bulbasaur evolved.

Piplup's reason- I have no idea what the hell Piplup's reason was (because I can't trust either the dub reason or what people say is the Japanese reason) but it was such a B.S. move to pull in the same series as Pikachu refusing to evolve. Granted there was no right way to do it but still. Maybe it should've been Piplup who refused to evolve PRIOR to the episode of Pikachu refusing to evolve.

Any other reason- I just don't think there really is any reason for a Pokémon to remain unevolved, that's legitimate. Maybe size, weight and appearance could be used, but that's such a shallow reason to not evolve, I'm looking at you "ShinyCharyzard."

Especially for those who don't evolve because their forced to stay unevolved by the writers.

I can agree, that unevolved Pokémon can be strong, but I still believe their evolved form will always be superior in strength (if not speed).

And before you argue: I mean Ash's Raichu (for example) will always be stronger than Ash's Pikachu.

I don't give a rat's rear end about Lt. Surge's Raichu, or Sho's Raichu, or whoever else has a Raichu that could lose to Ash's Pikachu.

And also what Joltik-Kid said, evolution, and new moves are the only ways you can develop a stagnant Pokémon late in the story, without resorting to fake development. If a Pokémon can't evolve, then fake development is fine. But for unevolved Pokémon, any serious character flaws that need to be overcome needs to occur early in the story (depending on the circumstances) OR it looks like fake development.

Oh no suddenly Snivy has a fear of fire? Oh no Oshawott is somehow suddenly kicking butt? Oh no....okay forget that last one. But whatever.

11. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

No I don't think it's necessary, but it comes down to preferences really. Some like the unevolved forms more than the evolved ones and vice versa. I believe it's much different in the anime than it is in the games, you can't just say x should evolve because it's strong and it's the only way to get stronger. It doesn't work like that on the show, we've seen countless times that the Pokemon has to want it. Pikachu remains one of the biggest examples that evolution isn't always necessary and it's what separates the show from the games. Unlike the games the Pokemon in the anime world have their own feelings on the matter and that's why they evolve or don't.

12. Starsurfer

Starsurfer Pokemon Idol

I feel that the anime has always strayed from the game as far as the strength of evolution. It's portrayed as powerful, but they have always given smaller un-evolved Pokemon the power to go toe-to-toe with opponents they normally wouldn't stand a chance against. In that light, I feel that evolution is not necessary. However, if they are going to go with keeping un-evolved Pokemon on Ash's team, they need to go about it better. Develop them more, give us a reason for believing they can take on any foe. Oshawott should not be getting pwned every other episode and being a clown during the others. Same goes for any Pokemon suffering a similar fate. These basic level Pokemon need to feel powerful. Otherwise, there's no point.

13. RVD_fan

RVD_fan Well-Known Member

It has been well established in the series that evolution is not a definite gauge of strength. Paul's Azumarill failed pathetically against Roark's Geodude while Elekid dominated the battle. Paul often talked about some Pokemon having more potential to improve than others, so obviously even an evolved pokemon like Azumarill can still be weaker than most basic Pokemon.

Now having said that, outside of some initial problems like with Charizard, Grotle, and Zweilious, there doesn't seem to be any downside to evolving in terms of overall strength.

So I think the general rule should be that every Pokemon owned by any consistently battling main character/rival should fully evolve by the end. These would be my general rules for exceptions.

1) Pokemon who, for an established reason, aren't going to evolve, i.e. Ash's Pikachu and Tyson's Meowth

2) Pokemon who, in-universe, are believably inexperienced enough where it makes sense that they haven't evolved, i.e. Ash's Scraggy

3) It's established that it will take a very long time for them to evolve, mostly for Dragon types, i.e. Ash's Gible and Iris's Axew

4) It can sometimes get a pass if it has been clearly established that the Pokemon is just as strong if not stronger than most evolved Pokemon and doesn't really need to evolve to compete with top Pokemon. Ash's Buizel, Snivy, and perhaps Corphish fall into this category.

I don't there should be more than one Pokemon in this category on someone's team or it ceases to be special.

Outside of that, I think most Pokemon should evolve. Ash's final DP team only had Pikachu, Buizel, and Gible unevolved. Gible was only recently caught and was a slow-evolving dragon type, so it makes sense it wouldn't have evolved. So Buizel was pretty much the only one who didn't have a definite reason it hadn't evolved, and if it's just the one I can let it slide.

14. ShinyCharyZard

ShinyCharyZard Honesty=Infractions

Eh, I wouldn't include Snivy in that if I'm honest.. Sure she's got some power behind her and her stamina isn't actually that bad either, but its been proven on several occasions that her size/weight lets her down. Especially when it comes to using Vine Whip.

That poor girl DOES need evolution, just so that she's got the size and weight to match her attack power..

15. J Ken

J Ken RAVE

The thing with Snivy is that her evolution is actually more popular then she is. So I honestly don't know what is holding her back.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  16. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Only of said pokemon do not have hands/claws/nubs.

17. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Servine or Serperior? Because this is honestly the first time I've ever heard of this.

As for the main question: Of course it's not necessary. Many of the main cast's Pokemon have been in their base form throughout the history of the anime. It's only recently (the BW era) that I've really seen complaints about certain Pokemon remaining un-evolved, which honestly has me baffled. I personally dislike how the anime has been handled lately, but I get the feeling that those who are upset just because some of the Pokemon don't evolve, have even more issues with the anime than I do. It's quite strange to be in this position. :x

18. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

Why did I get the feeling that upon coming in here, Snivy and Oshawott as usual would be mentioned--;

You'd think those are the only two pokemon who matter these days...

If a pokemon has a story or reason that drives it towards evolving or not wanting to evolve then it's fine.

A pokemon evolving for no reason at all however, especially if it's not going to offer anything of value is not fine.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  19. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

We thought after Sinnoh the writers were over the base starter thing. You can't deny that if you just judge from the region team pokemon and nothing else pretty much everyone would say that team has the greatest chance of winning.

20. RVD_fan

RVD_fan Well-Known Member

Well those are the big two who have no real in-universe reason to have not evolved at this point and it's pretty glaring that they haven't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.