1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is Fallout 76 truly the worst game of the year?

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by FlorgesPower2, Nov 29, 2018.

?

Does Bethesda deserve it?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Haven't played it

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. No interest in playing

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. FlorgesPower2

FlorgesPower2 Anime fanatic

There's no doubt 76 is the most controversial game of the year, and most of the hate and backlash it's gotten are justified, but I can't help but feel a lot of it is somewhat exaggerated.

Like the dude who trashed that GameStop, don't be him.

2. Dragalge

Dragalge I miss hell =(

I haven’t played it yet but please tell that Gamestop story.

3. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

It's funny that it was released the same day of the year and has basically the same Metacritic score as Sonic 06.

4. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Hee hee...

I liked...the E3 presentation about it. That's something.

5. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded Ask me anything

After the very recent duffel bag scam that just went down, they just earned more than worst game of the year. Eagerly awaiting to see how they top that.

Dragalge likes this.
  6. CyberBlaziken

CyberBlaziken You're blocking my view.

Guess having Country Roads, Take Me Home in the trailers lured everyone in.

7. shoz999

shoz999 Name's Looker, Detective Looker.

Honestly I'm just wondering why Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't even considered for the Game of the Year awards. Should've at least been included in best RPG or best music. That is, excuse my language, literally some bullshit right there.

04n70n10 likes this.
  8. Mr. Reloaded

Because it's competing with God of War, Spiderman and Red Dead 2.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell any game will even touch those 3.

9. shoz999

You misunderstand. What I mean is The Game of the Year Awards as in all of the nominated sections together, not the actual Game of the Year award itself. That's why I added an "s" at the end and stated it should at least be nominated for RPG of the year and music.

10. Mr. Reloaded

Oooooh.

My mistake.

11. AuraChannelerChris

It tried to fix some of the things XC1 did badly (toning down the extreme amount of side quests, making it easier to locate quests, prettier presentation), but it did a lot of questionable decisions that XC1 didn't do:

1) The gacha-like system tied to Blades.

2) The horrible writing and dialogue (mostly coming from Rex because seriously he is extremely cheesy it's not funny).

3) The over-sexualized female characters (would the camera PLEASE stop zooming in on Pyra/Mythra's body? We get it, their racks are out of this world).

4) The story itself boiling down to
    a teenager(?) getting really lucky with two well-endowed girls of mass destruction. The final chapter literally spells that out!

5) I know people like customization, but, holy s***, this game has menus inside their menus within their menus. And to make matters worse, unlike XC1, this game got rid of a manual section to look up the explanations that flash by ONCE when you reach the point they debut. There are way too many times these tutorials trigger that I often forgot half the stuff they said because the next tutorial was a step away. And people thought FFVIII was too much.

6) And, at least for the English version, the overall worst voice direction for the game (Rex simply can't express himself when during scenes he should be yelling loudly) which is further marred by lip sync so horrible that it makes FFX feel disgusted.

It only got a lot of sales in because it was capitalizing on promotion from the previous two Xenoblades, but after playing it myself, I seriously don't think this game should be nominated for anything in the VGA, let alone anything for the RPG section. Also, I only found 2 or 3 tracks memorable, but the rest is so forgettable.

And somehow, Celeste, of all games, is going up against them all. Who the hell let this happen?

12. shoz999

Fair enough but I still think it deserves some nominations in the GA. Personally I thought the story and music were pretty good and it continued the great open world design that many JRPGs to this date still have a hard time grasping even though this game is more focused on storytelling over open world.

04n70n10 likes this.
  13. AuraChannelerChris

I added another point: the freaking amount of tutorials you can't ever see again.

shoz999 likes this.
  14. Dragalge

Dragalge I miss hell =(

A man throwing stuff down on the floor and leaving in a bad mood. How funny to see the embodiment of gamer rage here! And Bethesda don't offer things you can't promise if you're just going to give people cheap nylon objects!

Is the Torna DLC any better?

15. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Honestly I think Fallout 76 is meant to be an MMO to contrast Elder Scrolls Online. It feels like the executives at Bethesda wanted them to release something this year. It doesn't feel like something Todd Howard is passionate about.

16. FlorgesPower2

FlorgesPower2 Anime fanatic

I just found out about the Canvas bag scam, the game is bad (if not slightly exaggerated), but Bethesda is easily at its lowest right now.

They can afford refunds, giving out $5 worth of in-game money that basically doesn't get you s*** is a terrible response and a scam in itself.

17. AuraChannelerChris

So for more context, why did that guy trash that GameStop?

18. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

He wanted to return his copy of Fallout 76 but they only offered him in store credit. Thus he got mad and trashed the place.

19. AuraChannelerChris

Oh. I thought you could get your money back if returning a newly bought game soon.

20. Mr. Reloaded

Not at GameStop, they won't take back opened copies. All you can do is trade it in.