• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is flirting cheating?

Pansy :]

anustart
whats your opinion? should flirting be considerred cheating? I think in short term relationships you can flirt, but if your married, engaged or a live-in couple, then flirting's wrong. Your opinions?

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
Not exactly. Once you're married you're devoted to your spouse, no one else.
So I would think flirting might have some issues but I wouldn't go as far as to call it cheating.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
Not at all. Flirting is usually a subconscious action, and you can't get mad at someone for doing something without realizing it. Besides, it's harmless.

I have never intentionally flirted with someone, but people have told me all the time that I have been. And a lot of times, it's gotten me into trouble, because I ended up leading someone on. So it's understandable if someone does something. Usually if my boyfriend flirts with another girl, I'll give him a hard time, but I won't actually be mad at him. It's more something that I use to tease him about later.

If it exceeds to the next level, like physical contact, or obvious things that mean they're trying to get something more from the person, then by all means, it's cheating.

Pansy :]

anustart
Not at all. Flirting is usually a subconscious action, and you can't get mad at someone for doing something without realizing it. Besides, it's harmless.

I have never intentionally flirted with someone, but people have told me all the time that I have been. And a lot of times, it's gotten me into trouble, because I ended up leading someone on. So it's understandable if someone does something. Usually if my boyfriend flirts with another girl, I'll give him a hard time, but I won't actually be mad at him. It's more something that I use to tease him about later.

If it exceeds to the next level, like physical contact, or obvious things that mean they're trying to get something more from the person, then by all means, it's cheating.

yes, but flirting normally requires you wanting to get something from it. When your in a long term relationship with some one then you should learn to exercise enough self control to stop flirting, or atleast do less of it.

Banned
Personally, one could flirt as much as one likes(as long it doesn't exceeds flirting).
Just 'cause you're with someone doesn't mean you can't flirt. As stated above, some flirting occurs subconsciously and one can't do anything 'bout it. But when you flirt consciously you know, EXACTLY, what you are doing.
Either you make a big deal about it, or let it slide. It's always better to let it slide. In the end, it isn't worth starting an argument over something so little, as a flirt. ^~^

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
yes, but flirting normally requires you wanting to get something from it. When your in a long term relationship with some one then you should learn to exercise enough self control to stop flirting, or atleast do less of it.

Not really, I've been in very serious, long term realtionships, and still flirted without realizing it. You can end up doing it for fun, not always because you want something from it.

Banned
Not really, I've been in very serious, long term realtionships, and still flirted without realizing it. You can end up doing it for fun, not always because you want something from it.

Exactly. Flirting is for the fun of it and nothing else.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
It's somewhat a touchy subject. A lot of people will still argue that flirting is usually the result of some desire to hook-up, or something. But I still believe that regardless of whether you're out to get some, or you're in a serious relationship, you can still unconsciously do it. And most of the time, it really is harmless and just for fun, whether you realize you're doing it or not.

However, if I am doing it and somewhat realize it, and my boyfriend lets me know that it's bothering him, I will respect that and try not to do it that much. But if he ever got really mad at me, then I would have an issue because of what I just said, it's usually subconscious.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
I personally have never seen the thrill in cheating on those I'm in a romantic relationship with, though I would never really care if my girlfriend "flirted" with another guy, as long as it never went further than that (and if it did, that's her choice, I just wouldn't really want to be in a relationship with her though). Flirting is often kind of like a game, there's kind of a thrill in charming the opposite sex. I personally don't see it as something to be taken serious, and would definitely not call it cheating.

houndourm

a-a-a-awesome
I personally have never seen the thrill in cheating on those I'm in a romantic relationship with, though I would never really care if my girlfriend "flirted" with another guy, as long as it never went further than that (and if it did, that's her choice, I just wouldn't really want to be in a relationship with her though). Flirting is often kind of like a game, there's kind of a thrill in charming the opposite sex. I personally don't see it as something to be taken serious, and would definitely not call it cheating.
Exactly if your in a good healthy relationship it isn't anything to worry about.

But on the other hand if you are in a troubled relationship you wouldn't want to be flirting, as it could be considerewed cheating.

Aquanova

I dont look upon flirting as bad. Alot of times people do it without knowing and its subjective. Alot of times people do it and know they wont gain anything by doing it, so I figure as long as thats the case, its ok. However if you hope to gain something, ot to cheat, shame on you. That isnt fair to your girlfriend/boyfriend.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
I dont look upon flirting as bad. Alot of times people do it without knowing and its subjective. Alot of times people do it and know they wont gain anything by doing it, so I figure as long as thats the case, its ok. However if you hope to gain something, ot to cheat, shame on you. That isnt fair to your girlfriend/boyfriend.

This is true, but how do you know if the person is hoping to gain something? It's a tough one, but as long as they haven't done anything to go above flirting, just give them the benefit of the doubt.

Now if you personally know yourself that you're flirting to get something more, then yes, shame on you.

Neon-Snorlax702

yes it is in my eyes because your spouse will get jealous and angry!!! unless you both understand each other i guess :)

I think sometimes flirting can get close to (pardon the pun) flirting with that line between harmless and unfaithfulness. It's usually pretty natural and sometimes you don't know you're doing it. But you need to be careful, as you don't want to go to far with it. Flirting by itself isn't really cheating, and hopefully you and your spouse trust eachother enough to understand that. However, it can lead to cheating if it goes too far.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Exactly if your in a good healthy relationship it isn't anything to worry about.

But on the other hand if you are in a troubled relationship you wouldn't want to be flirting, as it could be considerewed cheating.

If you have a troubled relationship, flirting is not the important issue. If you're frequently arguing with your partner, you obviously have some bad feelings that need dealing with.

Flirting is not cheating, at least not to non-OCD people. Cheating is either kissing/having sex with a person other than your partner, without you and your partner agreeing to an open marriage/relationship beforehand. Flirting is just a few playful words, some light seduction that on its own is meaningless.

There's also the fact that what seems like flirting to some people may not be to others. Some people are just naturally more friendly, which may come off as flirting, but was just meant as friendliness.

Little_Pikachu

With Action Amusing!
It's not cheating, but if it's ok or not depends on the relationship. If both people are just like that and they know it's just a bit of fun, then it can be ok, but if someone's doing it intentionally, behind the other persons back or if there are general doubts about the relationship and someone in it is insecure then it can ruin everything.

Being a bit smiley when you talk to someone cute might be a natural reaction, but If it's much more than that and intentional then it's just properly disrespectful to your partner.

Profesco

gone gently
"Flirting" is not "cheating," but it can be a form of infidelity. And it is always disrespectful to your partner.

There is more than one kind of infidelity. Wanting or having a romantic physical relationship with someone other than your partner is one kind of infidelity. Wanting or having a romantic emotional relationship with someone else is also a form of infidelity. Different people care about the two forms to different degrees, so what might be "harmless fun" for one might be "two-timing" for another.

If you have a loving relationship with a person who makes you happy, you have no excuse to flirt anyway. Flirting is an expression of interest in another person, harmless or no. It's okay to be interested, since after all, hotties be ballin', but a respectful and sensitive partner will take care not to overexude such interest.

M4zz

Banned
Personally, I don't see it as cheating. It's just a way of being human, and interacting with others in society.

Hell, there's a chance it could lead to a three-way, and those are good, right?

Skydra

Its not cheating if its tame enough and not meant to be anything outside the relationship. If you aren't completely set on someone, I wouldn't say you would have to go out of your way to not flirt with anyone.