• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Green Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i read a translated scan online so....
in the first few red referrs to gary/green/blue/oaks grandson as green but in the issue the girl is introduced hes called blue and shes called green. you arent the only one to have the problem.

Pokemon_Special_Fan

if you didn't know, when pokemon adventures came to the US, Green(the guy) and Blue(the girl) got their names switched because of the released ot the original games. Viz just switched the names Green and Blue in the US version. It's not a pirated copy.

If I'm somehow wrong, please correct me(I'm bad with pokemon facts lately lol)

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
Yep Pokemon Special Fan is right that's because in Japan the red version was released with the green version and blue was the third. In the US the green version never came uot so that's why the names where switched, but I refer the girl as blue and the boy as green. blue sound more like a femenine name to me and green as a male name.

Rex Kamex

I dunno about masculine or feminine, but if I were re-releasing the series I would've called the dude "Green" and the girl "Blue", but... since Viz has done the opposite, I feel it's too late to change it. Calling the dude "Blue" instead of "Green" is like calling that gym leader named Kasumi "Misty." That's just his name now. And I don't think Viz will change things back to the way they were in Japan just because of what's apparently that one line in the Fr/Lg arc. And I wouldn't write a letter to change things back only because of that one line anyway.

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
I dunno about masculine or feminine, but if I were re-releasing the series I would've called the dude "Green" and the girl "Blue", but... since Viz has done the opposite, I feel it's too late to change it. Calling the dude "Blue" instead of "Green" is like calling that gym leader named Kasumi "Misty." That's just his name now. And I don't think Viz will change things back to the way they were in Japan just because of what's apparently that one line in the Fr/Lg arc. And I wouldn't write a letter to change things back only because of that one line anyway.

yeah i think that too

Rex Kamex

A bit off topic, but this...

BCVM22 said:
Japan was the only region in the world to receive a 1st generation Pokémon game titled "Pokémon Green Version". When the franchise launched in North America, Nintendo of America made the
decision to take the Japanese Red, Green and Blue Versions, use the version exclusives from Red and Green and combine them with the improved game engine and sprite set of Blue and release these hybridized games as the North American Red and Blue Versions. The entire rest of the world got these two games - the North American Red and Blue - as their introduction to the franchise.​

... well, that one word in bold, I disagree with. Even if they did take the things from blue, they still could've called the games Red Version and Green Version. I'm not against the concept of two versions named Red and Blue itself, but the original game to go with Red was Green, not Blue. And either of the two original American versions could've been called "Blue" because they both used elements of Blue.

(Generally speaking though, releasing the games as Red and Blue doesn't really cause any confusion or anything like that until you bring Green into the picture. Both the person- whatever gender they are- and LeafGreen.)

Back on topic, regarding the manga name switch, like I said before I would've made the dude's name "Green" in the re-release. That's because Nintendo made the Red and Blue remakes FireRed and LeafGreen, so changing the dude's name back to Green would've been like a fresh start. It would've inevitably caused some confusion (but then again, look what we have now), but it would've been better than if they had switched the names back now.​

Shadow_lugia991

Fish sticks
Well, I think i read this somewhere but since the girl isn't Red's rival and Blue is technically the "rival" game of Red, it seemed more "fitting" to name the rival blue.
Hope this is a suitable answer.

BCVM22

... well, that one word in bold, I disagree with. Even if they did take the things from blue, they still could've called the games Red Version and Green Version. I'm not against the concept of two versions named Red and Blue itself, but the original game to go with Red was Green, not Blue. And either of the two original American versions could've been called "Blue" because they both used elements of Blue.

Culturally, red and blue are seen as opposites far more so than are red and green. Fire/water, warm/cool, day/night, Ohio State/Michigan, Cardinals/Cubs, loud and angry/quiet and calm, Republican/Democrat - all of those either are or can be (and often are) presented as red versus blue.

There's no such relationship between red and green. You say red and green and most Americans think Christmas. There's even less of a relationship between blue and green - if anything, those two are too similar. Again, it was the right decision on just about every level.

Last edited:

Chelc

Sorry I didn't close this earlier. Didn't get on til a little while ago.

Anyways question has been answered, so closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.