• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is ID science?

Sound methodology, but I'm still having a bit of trouble grasping the transition from 'complexity' to 'designed.' Certainly not every instance of complexity in nature signifies some intelligent, guiding hand? And if not, what defines the cut-off point so clearly and perfectly that, on one side of this division, complexity is naturally possible, while on the other side, only an intelligent designer can be possible? I am skeptical that such a point exists.
Is our inability to track down such a point reason enough to doubt its existence? If no such gulf exists, it is rather difficult to ascribe to nature a finite ability to produce complexity.
As our knowledge of physical reality currently stands, the concept of an intelligent designer is made unnecessary by the overwhelming trend of naturalistic explanations providing sound answers to our queries about physical reality. Granted, as we delve deeper into sub-sub-molecular physical reality, we experience less and less certainty, but that doesn't seem to have a... solidifying? fortifying? ... effect on the necessity of an intelligent designer. The concept is still superfluous. It is a theory based on a "seems like" with no support behind it, whereas our standing explanations and theories, which, though some may also currently be based on a "seems like," have at least some support behind them.
This is disappointingly dogmatic-sounding, Profesco. As per the soundness of naturalistic explanations...perhaps a parallel is in order. If you had asked Aristotle why he considered propositions that called for a non-stationary Earth untenable, he'd likely have told you "If the earth moved, it would tear itself apart!" His audience had no desire or reason to believe differently, and thus were easily convinced. Explanations like these are only satisfying if we can appreciate their providing succour to our view of things.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
The difference between the natural explanation you gave (if we can even call it one) and the natural explanation in science is that ours is actually backed up.

But I'm going to assume that when you use that example, you really mean "but natural explanations can be wrong"? Which.. is correct.

But we're much closer to a right answer through these explanations than we'll ever be with a concept that asks more questions than it answers.

Byzantine

Just to mention: Math is definitely a science. You have not been exposed to a real proof if you think otherwise. It follows the scientific method to a T (In fact it has to in order to work).

ID is not a science simply because it hasn't gotten past the "hypothesis" stage. It is a philosophical belief, a faith, but it has no bearing on the scientific method. (attempts to use the scientific method in conjunction with ID fail because it cannot be proven or disproven, though it is nearly impossible to prove most theories it is required that you must be able to do at least one of the two, and with ID you can't.)

The difference between the natural explanation you gave (if we can even call it one) and the natural explanation in science is that ours is actually backed up.

But I'm going to assume that when you use that example, you really mean "but natural explanations can be wrong"? Which.. is correct.
No, the lesson I'm attempting to impart is that we heartily gobble up explanations that fit with our worldview with less regard for their scientific viability and more for their philosophical underpinnings.
ID is not a science simply because it hasn't gotten past the "hypothesis" stage. It is a philosophical belief, a faith, but it has no bearing on the scientific method. (attempts to use the scientific method in conjunction with ID fail because it cannot be proven or disproven, though it is nearly impossible to prove most theories it is required that you must be able to do at least one of the two, and with ID you can't.)
When emphasizing Popperian falsifiability within science, it would be more intellectually honest of you to mention that Popper did not consider evolution falsifiable.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
When emphasizing Popperian falsifiability within science, it would be more intellectually honest of you to mention that Popper did not consider evolution falsifiable.
It would also be honest to admit that he changed his mind about that... at least if wikipedia is to be believed.

Karl Popper at first spoke against the testability of natural selection but later recanted, "I have changed my mind about the testability and logical status of the theory of natural selection, and I am glad to have the opportunity to make a recantation."

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Does Intelligent Design exclude the possibility of Alien Involvement? Who is to say that an advanced alien civilization did not terraform the planet, and let life form as it would? If not why not? Is it more preposterous than a divine being saying, 'WOOP, there it is!'?

Last edited:
It would also be honest to admit that he changed his mind about that... at least if wikipedia is to be believed.
Of course, but it would be most honest of all to further allow Popper to clarify his later position, which he does later in the article from which your quote was extracted:

"However, Darwin's own most important contribution to the theory of evolution, his theory of natural selection, is difficult to test. There are some tests, even some experimental tests; and in some cases, such as the famous phenomenon known as 'industrial melanism', we can observe natural selection happening under our very eyes, as it were. Nevertheless, really severe tests of the theory of natural selection are hard to come by, much more so than tests of otherwise comparable theories in physics or chemistry."http://serebiiforums.com/#cite_note-popper-63

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
That may be the case, but if you knew the above it falls upon you to cite it as a clear demonstration of your own intellectual integrity that Popper did not merely 'not consider evolution falsifiable' as you seemed to claim.

Besides which, Popper can only be considered an expert on how falsificationism as a theory itself ought to work, not what theories do or do not meet such a requirement, since Popper cannot be held as being an expert on such an array of topics. There are numerous ways in which one could falsify the many different branches of evolution, each one doing so would require a severe reconstructing of the theory, if not its full-fledged demise. So far none of these criteria have been met. (Some of these methods have of course come about post-Popper)

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
No, the lesson I'm attempting to impart is that we heartily gobble up explanations that fit with our worldview with less regard for their scientific viability and more for their philosophical underpinnings.
Give an example.. like, a real live one?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Ghost if I may, as examples, I believe that at some point every religion has been corrupt or evil, Why cause I see it all the time on TV. Lets see, heaven is just a lie created to get people to follow the rules set down by the "holy MAN" Why cause almost every religion has a version of heaven & hell and their rules differ according to culture.

There are lots of examples of us fitting answers according to what we think we know vs what we really know. In fact my argument right know is proof of that theory :D

That may be the case, but if you knew the above it falls upon you to cite it as a clear demonstration of your own intellectual integrity that Popper did not merely 'not consider evolution falsifiable' as you seemed to claim.
Fair, fair. My statement in this regard was far too simplistic and therefore erroneous--my apologies.
Give an example.. like, a real live one?
The phenomenon I described was more or less an applied strain of confirmation bias... What are you asking for?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
So who are you exactly accusing of confirmation bias or are you only saying that it's a possibility?

So who are you exactly accusing of confirmation bias or are you only saying that it's a possibility?
Maybe it is difficult to convince the scientific imagination to see purpose in nature, but what I am saying is that philosophical framings and leanings, which all of us have, can and sometimes do influence our scientific views.

This is less than ideal, and is an obstacle to objectivity.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
I may be lagging behind here, and linguistically and philosophically out of my league, but if naturalistic processes are for the most part wholly adequate in explaining the reality of evolution and life as we know it currently, and determining the existence or identity of a designer is nigh impossible to do, how are we to proceed?

Profesco

gone gently
Is our inability to track down such a point reason enough to doubt its existence? If no such gulf exists, it is rather difficult to ascribe to nature a finite ability to produce complexity.

No, it's not, you're right. As I was saying about the definition of science: though maybe we haven't yet come across a precise definition that gives us a clean line between what is and isn't science, it doesn't mean there is no standard by which to define something as science or not science. We don't yet know of a limit of complexity beyond which only intelligent design is a feasible explanation, but that doesn't mean there is no such limit.

I hope you can't fault me for the skepticism, though. In a universe so close to infinite that the distinction is perfunctory, how can someone demand that a certain specific arrangement of matter and circumstances not be a possible permutation of that near-infinite arrangement of matter and circumstances? I suppose I'm still doubtful, but not so much that learning I'd been wrong would inspire any discontent. It'd probably inspire wonder and curiosity, actually. =P

This is disappointingly dogmatic-sounding, Profesco. As per the soundness of naturalistic explanations...perhaps a parallel is in order. If you had asked Aristotle why he considered propositions that called for a non-stationary Earth untenable, he'd likely have told you "If the earth moved, it would tear itself apart!" His audience had no desire or reason to believe differently, and thus were easily convinced. Explanations like these are only satisfying if we can appreciate their providing succour to our view of things.

Was it? I'm sorry. It's not as though I'm denying the possibility, though. Take your Aristotle example. In his time, his logic satisfied people because there was no better understanding on the horizon yet. Our understanding changes as we learn more. If we learn enough to point to an intelligent designer as more likely than naturalism, our understanding will once again change. You need more than an idea, though. An intelligent designer is just an idea at the moment; maybe a deity or an advanced alien civilization, it doesn't matter. But that's part of our skepticism - there's so little grounds for changing our understanding to reflect intelligent design that it is no more than a fanciful distraction at the moment*. Things may certainly change, you can count on that. But until they do, what is most likely will remain most likely.

Incidentally, until there are more grounds, or better supported grounds, or something along those lines, ID will be a fanciful distraction instead of a science. I'm sure lots of cool science has begun as a fanciful distraction, so that again doesn't discount the possibility, but it's not substantive enough to be a science based on what we know right now. Perhaps a good place to start would be having enough knowledge or theoretic material to decide whether the intelligent designer is supernatural or merely natural but incredibly advanced.

Isn't one of the biggest roadblocks to accepting ID its lack of scientific viability? (That's why we're discussing whether it has any, right?)

Then I was going to say something flowery about how philosophical exploration can provide routes toward understanding that are different than, but might be supplemental to, the routes science takes... but then I thought that with "underpinnings" you meant we approve of a philosophy for the way in which it holds up our existing explanations, which would make anything I had to say about exploratory philosophy moot. *shrug* :p

You need more than an idea, though. An intelligent designer is just an idea at the moment; maybe a deity or an advanced alien civilization, it doesn't matter. But that's part of our skepticism - there's so little grounds for changing our understanding to reflect intelligent design that it is no more than a fanciful distraction at the moment.
I disagree with your statement in passing that an extrapolation of design would require botching our current understanding of life. Ruse notes: "Darwin seems to have expelled design from biology, and yet we still go on using and seemingly needing this way of thinking. We still talk in terms appropriate to conscious intention, whether or not we believe in God. In biology we still use forward-looking language of a kind that would not be deemed appropriate in physics or chemistry. Why is this?" This is, of course, a good question.
Incidentally, until there are more grounds, or better supported grounds, or something along those lines, ID will be a fanciful distraction instead of a science. I'm sure lots of cool science has begun as a fanciful distraction, so that again doesn't discount the possibility, but it's not substantive enough to be a science based on what we know right now. Perhaps a good place to start would be having enough knowledge or theoretic material to decide whether the intelligent designer is supernatural or merely natural but incredibly advanced.
A shame that this is the one sort of speculation they aren't engaged in.

I apologize for the slapdash fashion in which this reply was delivered. Hopefully I'll be able to give this reply a bit more time.

EDIT: Commencing with the giving of more time:
I hope you can't fault me for the skepticism, though. In a universe so close to infinite that the distinction is perfunctory, how can someone demand that a certain specific arrangement of matter and circumstances not be a possible permutation of that near-infinite arrangement of matter and circumstances? I suppose I'm still doubtful, but not so much that learning I'd been wrong would inspire any discontent. It'd probably inspire wonder and curiosity, actually. =P
Ah, but your description (one that takes place within the universe) is able to bypass the intrinsically very improbable nature of a universe that is anything but a dud.

Life is not an "arrangement of matter and circumstances," life is information--lots of it. Life is also consciousness; life is a mental substance.

"Life," that is, "mental life," is the least understood thing in all of science. It is a bit self-serving to describe it as an "arrangement of matter." :p

Last edited:

scythemantis

Creepy crawly
The "complexity" of life is never a valid point to bring up against evolution. That's just making the foolish assumption that what our brains find easiest to grasp is an accurate gauge of what's possible or impossible.

An insect would think the ABC's are pretty damn complex.

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
Can you perform an experiment and obtain data that somehow validates Intelligent Design?

No.

Is there any evidence at all for it, other than the Bible (which is not scientific evidence) and word of mouth?

No.

So no, it is not science.

Evolution, unlike intelligent design, has evidence to support it. Vestigial organs, fossils, genetics, etc. And evolution CAN be observed in organisms that have short lifespans and reproduce very quickly, such as insects and bacteria. An obvious example is the ability of bacteria to develop resistances to antibiotics - clearly an example of natural selection.

Last edited:

Megaton666

Swampert Trainer
Not science. End of discussion.