• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Ignorance the Root Cause of Fear

Cipher Lord

Pe2ker and Stalker
Ignorance is the root cause of fear.

The Webster dictionary defines fear as "the emotion experienced in the presence or threat of danger". We fear whatever we perceive as potentially threatening our physical or psychological well-being. With almost no conscious thought, we constantly categorize things, either as safe or as threatening, based on our knowledge of the world and previous experiences. Our judgment is far from infallible, though. More often than not, the anxiety we feel is irrational and rather than caused by real threat is, whether we would like to admit it or not, merely a fear of the unknown. In my opinion, the root cause of fear is ignorance; that is, a lack of knowledge about the entity we feel endangered by.

To begin with, the fear of the unknown is a biological fact. It is no more and no less than an innate reflex that has one purpose: to keep us safe. Thorough our life our brain is trained to discern between what is harmless, and what is dangerous. If we accidentally touched the hot stove burner or iron as a child, that safety center learned from that. If we heard our parents talking about the danger of walking alone after the nightfall with that tone of worry and fear in their voices, that safety center in our head heard it and learned. Alas, most people's safety centers have gone a little too far in their learning. The lesson they probably internalized was "if it is unfamiliar, it may pose a threat. Only trust the things you know."

To follow, the phenomenon of fear induced by ignorance can be easily observed both in individuals and as a social mechanism. The prejudices and phobias, such as xenophobia, homophobia or fear of injections, are more often than not caused by our lack of knowledge and experience. As a fact, people who were raised in a multicultural society do not feel uneasy in the presence of the members of a different race, people who have gay friends are rarely homophobic, and individuals who are forced...

Now, with that said, what do you think? I think that this is exactly correct, and I must say, has opened up my eyes.

Alloute

Not Banned
Yes, ignorance causes fear, and WAR.

It's the sad reality of this world. People don't want to open their eyes to the truth, it's the biggest problem, and if I do say so myself: Republicans are some of the most ignorant people...

Cipher Lord

Pe2ker and Stalker

It's the sad reality of this world. People don't want to open their eyes to the truth, it's the biggest problem, and if I do say so myself: Republicans are some of the most ignorant people...

How can you group such a large amount of people into one group? There are good republicans, and I admit, there are bad republicans. People just fear the truth sometimes, but that doesn't mean you're able to group so many people and generalize them so blatantly.

BigLutz

Banned
and if I do say so myself: Republicans are some of the most ignorant people...

I just had to laugh at the stupidity of this statement.

Truly Serebii's best example of the Pot calling the Kettle black.

Alloute

Not Banned
How can you group such a large amount of people into one group? There are good republicans, and I admit, there are bad republicans. People just fear the truth sometimes, but that doesn't mean you're able to group so many people and generalize them so blatantly.

It's my opinion, you don't have to like it sorry...

I am neither a Rep or a Dem

BigLutz

Banned
It's my opinion, you don't have to like it sorry...

I am neither a Rep or a Dem

Doesn't matter what your Political leaning is. Stupidity or Ignorance as you have displayed does not take Political sides.

Alloute

Not Banned
Doesn't matter what your Political leaning is. Stupidity or Ignorance as you have displayed does not take Political sides.

Again, just my opinion^_^

I just believe that most Republicans hinder progress, that's all.

BigLutz

Banned

Thats fine, you just how ever are displaying a horrible amount of ignorance, in a topic ABOUT ignorance. I mean if you want to become the joke of the topic that is fine.

Alloute

Not Banned
Thats fine, you just how ever are displaying a horrible amount of ignorance, in a topic ABOUT ignorance. I mean if you want to become the joke of the topic that is fine.

Think whatever you want, I speak my mind and I'm fine with being a joke, I won't stand back and lie about what I truely feel^_^

Anyway this isn't about me. Homophobes are ignorant too I think. Ignorance leads to war too often aswell.

Cipher Lord

Pe2ker and Stalker

They hinder progress, how exactly? Also, I can tell that you are trolling us, and unfortunately, it has worked.

Also, republicans do NOT hinder progress. George Bush, contrary to popular belief, made a TON of progress, and he was a republican.

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'

Hey ***hole that's my mother you're talking about....

OT

I think that some people live by the maxim, "What you don't know won't hurt you." However I believe that what you do know and the more you know will hurt your enemies. People are scared that if they face the truth they will be affected. So overall Ignorance is the root of not only fear but also Alloute.

Alloute

Not Banned
They hinder progress, how exactly? Also, I can tell that you are trolling us, and unfortunately, it has worked.

Also, republicans do NOT hinder progress. George Bush, contrary to popular belief, made a TON of progress, and he was a republican.

I'm not trolling, you wanted opinions, and I gave mine, if you are personally offended, I apologize.

OT

Ignorance stems from fear, fear stems from not understanding?

Cobalt_Latios

The lesson they probably internalized was "if it is unfamiliar, it may pose a threat. Only trust the things you know."
Well I'll be, that's nearly identical to what most internet browsers (IE especially) when you either download something, or go and click on something. I guess that means the Internet is ignorant... naw.

Anyways, I have to say, there is a good deal of logic here and what it states is true. However, though it may not a root cause, how does one explain the "irrational" fears? True, they are fears just the same, but I think they may be a branch off of the ignorance.

Though, I have some of the strangest fears one could possibly have. And none of them are caused by ignorance of what I don't know, but rather, cause me to ignore them in spite of a fear of it/them.

However, for the most part, I do have to agree with this. Not knowing what you're dealing with does cause to be cautious that it could be harmful.

In short, good topic...

Also, BigLutz, drop it. An opinion is an opinion. You may disagree, but let "others" take care of it.

*C_L*

edit: nevermind, it has been taken care of.

Penguinist Trainer

I would say yes and no. Yes a large number of fears are caused by ignorance, but some legitimate fears are caused by a specific source.

For instance, I am terribly afraid of bees. When I was a kid, a bee got caught behind my glasses and I watched as it stung near my eye. Another time, I was falling asleep on the couch when I was a kid when a bee resting on my shoulder stung me when my head started to droop. Then another time, I was going to my grandparent's house when I was a kid, when I ran up their front steps, I was unaware of the Hornets nest underneath that I had woken up. They weren't too happy to be woken up.

I've had plenty of other experiences that have just led me to be terrified of bees. I understand, that they were probably scared too, or they were defending their home. But all the rationale in the world can't stop me from flinching everytime I hear a buzz.

I know there are plenty of fears that most people are too ignorant too overcome, but some people have legitimate reasons for their fears.

Alloute

Not Banned

A lot of progress of course how could I forget?! Stem cell research boomed during his time as president, we have no wars here in America, we have progressed past the need to fight other nations, and our economy grew rapidly, no problems at all everyone was so rich with progress!! Yes the most progress seen in 200 years.

Yes, no more racism either, Mr. Bush really helped us progress as a people^_^

Can you tell I'm being sarcastic?

Last edited:

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Ignorance causes fear. Fear (and ignorance) causes conservatism. It was after WWI that America began to fall into its crippling state. People became afraid of foreigners for no good reason (Sacco and Vanzetti case), and they felt that many of the bad things that happened were because they changed too much. But when you look at it, ignorance is the cause of fear, conservatism, violence, etc. The KKK was born because ignorance gave birth to hatred of blacks. Gays don't have equal rights because ignorance creates some degree of conservatism in people. It's all a domino effect.

BigLutz

Banned
A lot of progress of course how could I forget?! Stem cell research boomed during his time as president, we have no wars here in America, we have progressed past the need to fight other nations, and our economy is growing rapidly!! Yes the most progress seen in 200 years.

Yes, no more racism either, Mr. Bush really helped us progress as a people^_^

Can you tell I'm being sarcastic?

Save it for the Political Topic, we have one just a few topics down and I would loveee to rip you apart in there.

Cobalt_Latios said:
Also, BigLutz, drop it. An opinion is an opinion. You may disagree, but let "others" take care of it.

At first I was just shocked that one of the first posts was made by a ignorant person. But I figured that I had posted enough to make my point clear and to not keep the topic from totally falling off the cliff. Although I come back and see that Alloute keeps dragging it in that direction.

Alloute

Not Banned
I'm dropping it hun, but it wasn't a political matter, just an overview of non-progress^_^

I agree with Fused though, I couldn't have said it better myself.

BigLutz

Banned
And yet you keep following along. :/ So who's the pot calling the kettle black?

Umm I came back to direct him to the Political Topic, seeing how we kind of need some new....meat in there, not to mention the George Bush bashing wasn't very useful to the topic.... Anyway back to subject.