• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Imprison actually useful?

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I was just considering how they decided to make one of the special "Winner's Path" Pokemon a Duskull with Imprison. Considering the Winner's Path gave strong Pokemon with useful moves (Trick Room for Bronzong and Physical Flying STAB for Gyarados) why did they give Dusknoir Imprison? I'm certainly no expert in competitive baattling, but Imprison seems pretty useless to me. What are the odds you're going to encounter a Pokemon with the same moves as you?

So my question is, does Imprison actually have any use, or is it just a waster of a moveslot?

Simse

I saw a few videos of VGC Battles where Imprision did work. Stopping Trick Room, Taunt etc.

Otherwise, it isn't really any help.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
It's useless except for one move: earthquake. You see earthquake all the time.

Well, the Winner's Path one is useless, but if you breed Imprison into a Duskull in RSE, then give it Mimic, you've just removed a potential killer move.

JEGo Fett

yo no terendes jamas
It would be useful if 1) you put it on a pokemon who's soul purpose is to play in doubles and 2) you give it the most popular moves that are used in doubles like surf, earthquake, protect, etc

Gamefreak

It can be fun on lead Uxie... where you can imprision their Stealth Rocks, then U-Turn away/set your own rocks as they switch.

RoseSymphony

Cloud Princess
Honestly, I'd love to see this move used on a Choiced Poke and see how the opponent reacts.

"Yeah, I could've used Torment. But no, you just got IMPRISONED."

;D

windsong

WEST SIDE
I'm going to say it again, in singles, it's basically nothing more than a gimmick (although as mentioned, it's gimmicky but somewhat viable on lead uxie and stuff like that, though in OU trickscarf or dual screens are the main leads i'd run with Uxie) but is, for the most part, an inferior Torment. Which isn't that great a move in general, especially considering that Tormentran is basically a gimmick (I've literally seen one good tormentran team, and that was Phil's).

In doubles, Imprison/Protect/Explosion/Filler is basically a really good moveset, and there are entire teams based around that strategy (eliminate ghosts and steels, then go boom).

artbomber_97

Ultimate Aritist
Running Imprision on competitive pokemon is completely pointless. I mean, what is the chance of meeting a pokemon having the same moves as you? And even if you DO lock their moves, they will still have other moves to beat you.

Zachmac

Imprison/Mimic sounds like a good combo, but if you do it, you're just wasting two move slots to stop one move.