1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a pet peeve of yours that fans make the distinction between Legendary & Mythical Pokemon?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by SWMegaFan, Aug 12, 2018 at 12:12 PM.

1. SWMegaFan

SWMegaFan Active Member

I’m curious if this is something that happens to you: how many of you get bothered when you’re watching a YouTube video from a Pokemon fan (colloquially called a Poketuber) and they casually call both Legendary and Mythical Pokemon as “Legendary” (or vice versa, where they sometime call both as “Mythical”)? Or are you one of those that doesn’t care for this formal terminology/distinction at all?

I’m personally in the camp that the proper distinctions are made & that the formal/proper labels are used since sites like Bulbapedia make use of them, and if I’m not mistaken, TPC has also come out and made the terminology official. However, there are those that don’t care for the formality of the distinction & will use one of these terms to describe both types of Pokemon regardless if they’re carchable in the game or can only be obtained via official online distribution.

So yeah, I’m curious if it matter to you or not, and why it does or doesn’t matter. Are you a stickler for the formal nomenclature or are you casual about it overall?

Note: if I recall correctly, in the past TPC used to call both legendary and mythical Pokemon as “Legendary” (though in a more casual fashion) but have since formalized the distinctions & made it clear what “Legendary” is and what “Mythical” is.

PS Just to be clear, I’m not bothered if others have a different opinion than me on this. I’m just curious what others’ opinions are (whether the same or different than mine) & overall having a discussion about the topic.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 2:43 PM
  2. It doesn't bother me.

Mythicals have always been just sub tier legendaries that are wrongfully banned for "availability".

3. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

I don't mind people making that difference though, to be honest, I just think of them all as legendary. I know there is a classification but it came in much later into the games and by then it's just a habit to call them all legendary.

4. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

The distinction is not fanon, actually. Mythicals have always been considered as a sub-group of legends in Japan as Phantom Pokémon. TPCi just made that official for overseas since Gen 6. Sub-legendary as another sub-group has been introduced in this Gen 7 for global use.

Basically it is:
    **Minor legendaries=Sub-legendaries
    **Event legendaries=Mythicals.
    **Mascot legendaries=Legendaries.

5. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

As discussed, the distinction between mythicals and legendaries is one made by GF itself. My only complaints with them is that there's so damn many of the blasted things now, and while Mew, Celebi and co at least had the good graces to possess strangely distributed stats that often kept them from being as good as mascot legendaries, nowadays many of them are absolutely top-tier competitive.

6. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

As far as I'm concerned, they're all Legendary. Instead of using the term Mythical, I prefer to say event-exclusive Legendary, because I don't like the idea of separating the two groups. I don't care if Mythical has always been a term in Japan, until recently, they've always called them Legendary in English.

7. lolipiece

lolipiece Ain't that the tooth Staff Member Moderator

If Japan has separated them since the very beginning, then they should be separate, that's that. If you call them Legendary, then that's your choice, I guess, but they're clearly meant to be different.

...I don't get your logic. The intent was that they were always meant to be two separate categories. Why side with the version that's completely in the wrong here?

8. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Because I grew up with the English translations, in which they've always called them Legendary. I doubt those translations were completely wrong. And clearly they're not meant to be totally separate. Look at Mew and Mewtwo, two heavily related Pokémon. In-universe, what makes one Mythical and one Legendary when they're so closely related? Or there's Deoxys, which has been called both Legendary and Mythical in official sources since it made non-event exclusive in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. This would imply there is little in-universe difference between a Legendary and Mythical, and the two terms can be interchangeable, depending on circumstances, and that's what really matters.

9. Ignition

Ignition Torracat is Ash's only good Alolan Pokémon

I think the decision to put different labels on them is unnecessary. I'm going to keep calling them Legendaries because they're treated like such bar some ridiculous label and being event exclusive except Deoxys.

This. It's also like this with Darkrai and Cresselia + Keldeo and the Swords of Justice. It makes sense in our world, but what separates these Pokémon?

10. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Also, for the record, I'm not saying it's wrong to call them Mythical, I'm saying it's wrong to consider Mythical an entirely separate group from Legendary, rather than a sub-category. And to avoid the confusion of possibly considering them a different group, I just personally prefer to call them event-exclusive Legendaries.

Cometstarlight likes this.
  11. lolipiece

lolipiece Ain't that the tooth Staff Member Moderator

If the original version uses a different term than the term for Legendary, then translating it as "Legendary" is incorrect.

Again, that's just a mistake on the translator's part. ORAS explicitly labels it Mythical in-game.

Also, you have to understand that ORAS was released 12 years after the original RS in Japan, and 10 years after its initial release in 2004. By that time, Deoxys wasn't really as special as it was back then. And it was only a one-time thing. If they started allowing Mythical Pokemon introduced in newer games to be obtainable in the game they're introduced in, then I'd agree.

The reason they're called "Mythical" is because they're rare. So rare that most have forgotten they exist. This is heavily implied in BW, where an NPC says that after Victini was locked up in the lighthouse, it "became Mythical", because most have forgotten its existence. That's why they're called "Phantom" Pokemon in Japan. Honestly, I find "Mythical" to be a pretty bad localization because it kind of changes the context. "Mythical" just sounds like another word for "Legendary".

That's why it doesn't make sense to label them as Legendary, because by being "legendary", they would be more well-known. How long Mewtwo had been around before the events of Gen I is never really stated, but given it was created by the old timer, Mr. Fuji (and possibly Blaine; they were friends, after all), it's definitely been around long enough for some rumors to have been created for it. Mew on the other hand has only really been found by the scientists that cloned it.

As for Keldeo, it's a trainee. So it more likely keeps itself hidden until it's ready to become a musketeer like its mentors. Also, wasn't it stated to have lost its parents in a fire? That probably won't help people find its species.

Celebi can time travel, so good luck finding it in your lifetime. Jirachi is only awake for seven days every one thousand years, so the chances of anyone being alive when that happens is almost impossible (and yet Archie and Shelly managed). Deoxys was created from a space virus, so it's definitely a recent creation. Etc, etc.

12. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

It doesn't have to be black and white. It can be a translation that's different from the original, but not entirely wrong either.

I can't remember what, I believe there's been official Pokémon Company branding that labels Deoxys as a Legendary.

Does it really matter? We still have a Pokémon that can be called both, implying there isn't an absolute boundary between the two classifications. Also, being released 12 years later has no bearing on Deoxys' in-universe status.

Nothing you've said here really means that Legendary and Mythical have to be two different things. If we want to go by your definition of a Mythical, what is it that makes it so that a Mythical is not an exceptionally rare Legendary Pokémon? Why does being Mythical immediately cancel out any possible Legendary status? The two terms do not need to be mutual exclusive.

And back on Mew and Mewtwo, how can it be said that one Pokémon, created from the other, can be more "well-known?" It even has two in its name. You can't know about Mewtwo and not know about Mew.

13. Team Volt Grunt

Team Volt Grunt Pokémon Collector

I like the distinction. Mew, in-universe, is so rare that it is often thought to be a myth, even by researchers. That's why they aren't normally obtainable in-game.
    Mewtwo, while cloned from Mew's DNA and named after Mew, has records of its creation and is guaranteed to be there for you to battle, meaning it isn't purely a myth.

14. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical Optimist

To me they're all legendaries, but if we are talking about specifics, then we could get into the subcategories. Otherwise the distinction usually doesn't seem to matter, besides knowing what is banned on competitive battling, but I think it even lists them all separately anyways. Lore-wise it could matter, but again, the distinction is barely necessary and most pokemon fans will understand the distinction between them already as mascot legends, mythicals, and (what I call) trio legendaries (even if they're not all trios), without having to say anything. I can't think of why else it matters.

15. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

Honestly, while I understand why there's a distinction and it's interesting that Japan has had it since the beggining, I much prefer calling everything "legendary" just for the sake of it being a lot simpler lol

16. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

I mean, they're both legendaries, so I just call them legendaries. I've had people get upset and say something like Jirachi isn't a legendary, but it is. My train of thought is all mythicals are legendaries, not all legendaries are mythicals.

Leonhart likes this.
  17. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

It does irk me slightly when some fans claim that Mythicals aren't Legendaries in spite of Mythicals simply being a sub-category of Legendaries. It's a minor thing, but still.

Cometstarlight likes this.
  18. Nockturne

Nockturne Well-Known Member

I use Legendary as a catch all term for them all, I don't remember every coming across mythical as a category before the 20th anniversary events.

19. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

I'm not that bothered about it. I think the 'Mythical' label started being used around Gen 4, but I just call all of them Legendaries as a kind of umbrella term. There's more important stuff to debate in the Pokémon world, like... Why can Ash catch all the starters and we can't? o_O