• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it a pet peeve of yours that fans make the distinction between Legendary & Mythical Pokemon?

Rain-and-Thunder

I tend to just say legendary for anything like Mewtwo, Mew, Articuno and all of them. To me there is legenday and normal pokemon, and the only thing that has ever separated them in my mind is the ability to evolve or not...cept Cosmog...who is a freak or something. :p

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Eh, it's never bothered me people that people call Mythical Pokémon Legendary, because to me they might as well be.

If I'm going to be completely honest, I don't understand why Legendary and Mythical need to be separate categories in the first place. The only difference is the latter cannot be obtained in regular gameplay, that's it. Otherwise, they are literally the same thing.

The way I see it, you have Legendary Pokémon and I consider Mythicals and even Ultra Beasts a sub category of Legendary (Before anyone comes at me saying Ultra Beasts aren't Legendary because TPCi said so, then Mythical Pokémon aren't Legendary either). All of these are special and powerful Pokémon; I may end up just calling the lot special Pokémon if all it's going to cause is arguments...

Last edited:
The way I see it, there's three classes of Legendary Pokemon, all under the general umbrella of "Legendary." There's Sublegendary, Legendary, and Mythical.

Sublegendaries aren't technically Legendary in the game code, and they're just powerful Pokemon with a specific powerful ability. Often there's no guarantee they're on of a kind, they're never banned from official tourneys, and they have green entries in Gen 7. They're essentially just "special, unusual, or especially important or powerful Pokemon."

Legendaries cover most others, including all boxart Legendaries, Zygarde, Mewtwo. There's only one of each of these (except Solgaleo/Lunala/etc) because they're unique forces of nature that control reality as we see it. They're usually banned from tourneys, and many of them are Uber in Smogon as well. Their Pokedex entries are gold. They're "one of a kind, forces of nature that can grant people inhumane levels of power over reality." These are usually the Pokemon the villains want.

Finally, Mythicals, which are also gold in the Pokedex. They're a special rare subclass that is more or less defined by not being available ingame. Deoxys is, of course, an exception, but Mythicals almost always have to be recieved or obtained via item.

In my opinion, the subclasses only exist for gameplay categorization, to categorize legendaries into groups as such: "Lesser/less OP, Greater/Usually OP, and Rare/Event-only."

I don't mind if other people have other definitions, but this is the closest to what the game data actually uses, and the fact of the matter is it's mostly for the game's sake, and we're free to categorize them however we like.

I'm not bothered if people mistake them. Most people know that Mythicals belong in a separate class with them being event exclusive (save for Deoxys in OR/AS). I've always sort of made a distinction between them before they started calling them Mythicals in the English localisation for said reason, just like most people I guess. I still see them as a subclass of legendaries though, just rarer.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I don't mind, it's more annoying when Ultra Beasts are mistook for legendaries

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
About the Japanese having a clean separation between legendary and mythical Pokémon since day one... Did they? Because I mean, the term "maboroshi no Pokémon" was used in the early movies to refer to, at the very least... Lugia, Moltres and Entei. Now Lugia might be kind of excusable in that it literally didn't exist in the game data yet when that movie was made, but that is not an excuse that holds for the other two.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I don't mind it much at all, and I'm actually more annoyed by the fact they have always been considered different categories in Japan.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Mythical feels like a sub-category of legendary, really. Because that's how big the legendary group has gotten