1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is it hard to create fire types?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Ditto B1tch, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

We had few fire types introduced in two generations in a row (Gen III and Gen IV). We had some in Generation V, but they aren't still many if compared with other types introduced in the same generation (water, grass, bug, ground, rock and steel, for example). Furthermore, don't say that we also have few ghost or dragon types, they aren't like fire type. Fire is part of the grass/fire/water triangle, and the ammount of fire type Pokemons is much lower than grass and water.

I really don't know if GF has some trouble on creating fire type Pokemons, the fact is that we have few of them. Plus, Magmortar is the only fire type with a thee-stage evolutionary line that isn't a starter. This reflects how is hard to create a complete line of fire type Pokemons.

In Generation III, besides Torchic's line they introduced three fire types (Numel, Camerupt and Torkoal).

In Generation IV, besides Chimchar's line they introduced only Magmortar (if you don't consider Heatran, because it is a legendary, and consequently hard to catch).

Some things I have noted that Nintendo probably had done to fix the lack of fire types:

* To fix the rarity of fire types in Hoenn, they made Vulpix and Slugma available in the wild.

* To solve the "unavailability" of fire types in Sinnoh, Eevee is obtained as gift from Bebe, so players could evolve it into Flareon.

Well, post your opinion if you also think that GF has some "trouble" on creating fire types and why.

2. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

Litwick says hi.

It actually the opposite, since Game Freak create 3 times the pokémon that makes it in the game, which means that some pokémon get cut and Game Freak figured that Fire pokémon are the easiest to cut.

3. Ditto B1tch

Oh, yes! Litwick, I forgot about him! Anyways, it's still few, don't you think?

We had few on III and IV, and now a bunch in Gen V!

4. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Fire-types are the ninth most common types. It's by no means abundant, but it's nowhere near as few as Ghost-types.

Sinnoh is a fairly cold region, which explains the lack of Fire-types. The lack was changed in Platinum by introducing the Houndour line and Magby line, anyway.

link plz ty

5. Stymie

Stymie powered by insanity

Water is more abundant than fire to represent how common it is on Earth, It's why grass and rock are very common too. Psychic is appx. the 5th most prevalent type which is I believe it can fit many concepts and ideas, fire is very limited i mean 3 of the starters have their tails on fire and other than volcanoes where does fire exist naturally? You can't just make magmar clones.

6. Watchog

Watchog Lv. 50

I can only say, Fire type starters have gotten more and more complex over time with the exception of Fennekin, We've yet to see its evolutions...

7. Ditto B1tch

Yes, Sinnoh is somewhat cold, but you cannot relate that to the fact they introduced few fire types.

I still think that they simply ran out of ideas in 4th generation to create fire types (and in Gen III too).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. Zachmac

Zachmac Crystalline Guardian

Don't be silly. They didn't run out of idea for any type.

All you really have to do to make a fire type is draw an animal and make it breath fire. Pokemon doesn't do that as much, but the artist behind the pokemon only got that job because they had tons of incentive ideas, I'll bet.

9. Jdrawer

Jdrawer ...

Doesn't Magmar have a fire tail like Charmeleon?

10. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Fire-types live in warm places, not cold ones. Cold regions logically won't have as many Fire-types as warmer ones. Pokemon fit their environment; you won't find, say, Horseas in Twist Mountain.

Why do you think Hoenn had so many Fire-types?

11. Arlo

Arlo ...and so on...

Professional game developers working on a multimillion dollar franchise don't "run out of ideas."

12. IJuggler

IJuggler how much words

'So many'? You mean Slugma, Torkoal, Numel line? I can't think of any others that aren't also out of place (Houndour in safari)...

Sinnoh also had Ponyta. That's what I remember best; if you didn't pick Chimchar, you pretty much needed Ponyta if you wanted a fire-type during a regular run.

There are definitely less fire-types, and they're getting less viable all the time with Stealth Rocks competitively and lots of water/caves ingame. But I wouldn't say they're having any trouble; just that they put less fire types in the final game. Maybe they make 20-30 of them in production, but only 5-6 get in any one time.

Have we ever had as many new fire-types at once as we did in gen I? Magmar, Vulpix line, Growlithe line, Flareon, Ponyta line, and Moltres if you count it. Maybe they're just toning down on the less realistic things? Though that wouldn't explain all the dragons...

13. carboncopy

carboncopy (-) (-) (-) (-)

Gen 5 has the most fire types. It introduced many of them. Heatmor, the larvesta line, the litwick line, the Darumaka line, Reshiram, Victini, the Panasear line, and of course the Tepig line ( Heat Rototm, if you want to count that ).
    So, no they are not running out of ideas. It's just a region thing. Gen 2,3,4 had pokemon more based on animals ( in general ). Fire is not common in the animal world, so they would have thought it inappropriate to put many fire starters. Gen 1 and 5 had pokes based on reality. And, so, there are more fire types here.

14. Xadium

Xadium Poliwhirl Enthusiast

It's an interesting concept, especially considering how much I like fire. Maybe they can come up with lots of designs, but don't think they're good enough to make the final cut? Come to think of it, Fire pokemon would be kind of hard to create since it's so limited as to what you can do.

15. PrismaticPrincessAnna

PrismaticPrincessAnna I'll do my Lilliest

I guess so, but there's PART fire types. Besides, there's less Ghost types: nya~
    [img139]http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388642_495424333842062_705778163_n.png[/img139],

16. Cutty

Cutty Forever now

Its not hard for GF to create fire type pokemon. In fact, based on reality, they can create pokemon based on anything relates to a certain type. Like Garbage, snowflake, etc.
    Or just some creature or common animal and just put some element attribute on it: fire monkey, fire horse, etc.

17. carboncopy

carboncopy (-) (-) (-) (-)

@PopPrincess_Lyra : Nice image. That shows that we do have quite a number of fire types.
    And there are supposed to be less pokes for Ghost type, they are Ghosts you know, there are not many of 'em.

18. Stymie

Stymie powered by insanity

yes but I'm referring to magmar being a volcano pokemon

19. Ditto B1tch

I am not being silly dude, I just think that they introduced a few ammount of fire types in Gen III and Gen IV, perhaps because they run out of ideas. The introduction of a bunch of fire types in Gen V is probably to make up for the lack of the two previous generations and to avoid people to complain about about few fire types being introduced on a generation.

Excitable Boy, it is not about a region having many or few fire types, but the introduction of new fire types. Hoenn and Sinnoh "borrowed" fire types from other region, this is a prove that they lacked that fire type.

The fact Sinnoh is cold and the fact Gen IV lacks of fire types was just a coincidence. Generation V proved that fire types can inhabits different enviroments besides warm and and volcano areas. Ex.: Volcarona in the desert, Litwick in a tower, Darumaka in the desert again, Heatmor in a cavern. Then, saying that Sinnoh had few new fire types introduced because its northern area being cold is not a good excuse, they had other warm places that fire types could inhabit. They did not create many new fire types in Gen IV, but they fixed that with Pokemons from other regions, so it was intended to have fire types in Sinnoh. But why didn't GF create new ones?? We would like to have seen new Pokemons instead old buddies. Well, I just think they run out of ideas for fire types that time. Maybe, it is really hard to create a nice cool fire type.

Of course not, the thread is clear that it is specifically about fire types during two generations (III and IV).

20. dirkac

dirkac I smash your Boxes.

Well, about Gen IV, most likely Fire Types were cut from development and decided to be out in later games jn a Shellos/Gastrodon esque way. I remember hearingnthat Litwick was originally planned for DP.

And, they might not have put in so much because of the fact it isn't neccecary at all. Other than Chimchar (who could already beat the game on it's own anyway), Fie types weren't as included as they were not needed.

Having one Fire type line is the same as innGen I, where there was only one Dragon, and one Ghost lines.