• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it just me or is D/P/Pl a bit darker than the other games?

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
HG/SS seemed so bright compared to D/P, is this just me?

Raiin

Johto Boy
Maybe just a bit. It was dealing with a team that was trying to control time and space though so that could be it. I haven't played D/P/Pl in a while though so I cant remember all the details of the game but that seems to be when GF started really pushing a story instead of "I want to be the strongest Trainer ever!" type game.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
DPPt had a darker theme than HGSS, because of Team Galactic's goals.

BCVM22

People. I think the OP meant literally - as in visually - not thematically.

Sinnoh is a mountainous, misty, foggy region, as we all saw. It would make sense for it to have a slightly more muted color pallet than the modern versions of Johto and Kanto.

Cutty

Forever now
Well, dealing w/ Darkrai and Giratina, I think yes.
The ghost mansion was also first introduced.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
HG/SS seemed so bright compared to D/P, is this just me?

^ The wording the OP used, it does sound like he's talking in terms of aesthetics, yes.
Muted, muddy colours, fog, general lack of brightness even in battles... compared to Johto and Kanto which had a much warmer and brighter colour scheme by comparison, even during the night.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
I actually do admit that it is, especially Platinum now that I think about it. I mean, aside from the villainous team and all, there's Giratina and the Distortion World to deal with. Add to the fact that Sinnoh is really a much more mountainous and colder region too than the others. (Of all the regions, Sinnoh's gotta be the coldest)
- Nate the;448;

Ditto B1tch

Not only for you, it is also for me, but as you said, just A BIT darker. That doesn't make it a "dark version".

Despite the plot of the game involved manipulation of space and time, it occured on a way that children wouldn't get scared.

Kalosian

So long
Nothing I thought about while playing the games, but I guess you are right. The color schemes used in HG/SS seem to be a bit brighter than the ones used in D/P/P, making the Sinnoh games a bit darker in that sense.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
D/P/P seems to have dark colors than HG/SS. The theme is also a bit darker

Bananarama

The light is coming
I think that RBY are much darker, and these games aren't as dark to me, in my opinion. For example, death plays a role in the first games, with Cubone's mother. DPPt doesn't even MENTION death in any way, shape, or form.