• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it just me? or is Pokemon competitiveness losing its originality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it really sucks. This is the reason why I don't play as much as I used to. Like someone already said, someone is either running a rain team, a scarf + volt switch/U turn spam team or a combination of the two.

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
I think its a matter of tinkering as you go. you may not have an original team but as you go along you start putting pieces together and end up with something that would be as great as bread and butter. of course you'd have to put in a lot of time and frankly I don't see a lot of players committed to that lofty endevour

I understand the frustration surrounding the popularity of weather teams, but why is Rain always the one that gets the most mentions? According to the latest stats, Sand was used nearly as much as Sun and Rain combined. It is pretty crazy when nearly half of teams (46.3% to be exact) are running some kind of weather, though.

I understand the frustration surrounding the popularity of weather teams, but why is Rain always the one that gets the most mentions? According to the latest stats, Sand was used nearly as much as Sun and Rain combined. It is pretty crazy when nearly half of teams (46.3% to be exact) are running some kind of weather, though.

Rain teams are the most effective and the most annoying.

Rain teams are the most effective and the most annoying.

Maybe the most annoying just because of things like Toxicroak and Ferrothorn in Rain stall, but most effective is debatable. Landorus running around in Sand is extremely effective, and there are plenty of sets that it can run to destroy teams on its own. There's also the fact that Tyranitar alone is an extremely effective Pursuit trapper and just bulky beast in general. Sand is also great offensive utility on its own, wearing down opponents little-by-little making them lost a bit of health every turn. Sun is also probably the most powerful when set up, with things like Venusaur running around with Sleep Powder, double speed, and +2 Atk and SpA after a Growth. There's also the fact that Fire types effectively lose their Water weakness and are more free to spam ridiculously powerful Fire attacks (i.e. Darmanitan's Sun-boosted Flare Blitz is one of the most dangerous attacks out there).

zerofield

i miss miror
Maybe the most annoying just because of things like Toxicroak and Ferrothorn in Rain stall, but most effective is debatable. Landorus running around in Sand is extremely effective, and there are plenty of sets that it can run to destroy teams on its own. There's also the fact that Tyranitar alone is an extremely effective Pursuit trapper and just bulky beast in general. Sand is also great offensive utility on its own, wearing down opponents little-by-little making them lost a bit of health every turn. Sun is also probably the most powerful when set up, with things like Venusaur running around with Sleep Powder, double speed, and +2 Atk and SpA after a Growth. There's also the fact that Fire types effectively lose their Water weakness and are more free to spam ridiculously powerful Fire attacks (i.e. Darmanitan's Sun-boosted Flare Blitz is one of the most dangerous attacks out there).

People don't complain as much about sun because you see far less sun low on the ladder, and that's where the people complaining about the core of BW OU generally are.

I have noticed how much weather centralizes the metagame, and I also want to spice battling up a bit. That's why I started using hail teams, and I also have a gimmick rain team running LO Vaporeon and Specs Jellicent. My sun team based around Moltres does wonderfully, and my sand Cradily team also does well.

You don't need to use the standards to do well. To me, if you can win with a Wailord legitimately, you're better than someone who can only win with a Rotom-W.

Vandslaux

I have noticed how much weather centralizes the metagame, and I also want to spice battling up a bit. That's why I started using hail teams, and I also have a gimmick rain team running LO Vaporeon and Specs Jellicent. My sun team based around Moltres does wonderfully, and my sand Cradily team also does well.

You don't need to use the standards to do well. To me, if you can win with a Wailord legitimately, you're better than someone who can only win with a Rotom-W.

By morale or by skill? Because using a Wailord in OU doesn't suddenly make you "better".

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
^ By skill. Because no one uses Wailord in OU that often, it takes skill to use it (as well as several Pokemon found in lower tiers).

Usatoday

Eternal God
^ By skill. Because no one uses Wailord in OU that often, it takes skill to use it (as well as several Pokemon found in lower tiers).

Thats essentially the lost challenge

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Heck, my overpowered comment really applies to everything upper-tier now. Too many things to begin to counter, and if you didn't think of something or you lose that one Pokemon, you lose.

Cometk

west side
you should see my team; i promise it's 100% orginal. the best part is that it's comprised of "inferior' pokemon.

well hey don't be shy i bet a lot of people would want to see such a beast of a team

this is why everyone should JOIN THE NU REVOLUTION

nu is technically the least diverse tier since it has the fewest amount of usable pokemon. once a real metagame culture develops in that tier (imagine something as popular as that demonym "volt-turn" in ou,) i swear to god...

Zachmac

well hey don't be shy i bet a lot of people would want to see such a beast of a team
IIRC, the team Gundam Leafeon loves so much is double battles. I wouldn't be as doubtful there, as it's easier to use some "inferior" pokemon there.

I know what his strategy is, and I think it actually could work.
nu is technically the least diverse tier since it has the fewest amount of usable pokemon. once a real metagame culture develops in that tier (imagine something as popular as that demonym "volt-turn" in ou,) i swear to god...
I just made a voltturn team that didn't include Scizor(though it did include Rotom-W).

Im actually really disapointed in how much the meta has changed(or lack of). I took about a half year hiatus and returning getting ready for VGC's I havent found not one team that isnt running weather, though i am having some luck and not using any weather based team I still find it sad that so many people are running weather based teams. were is the originality.

Swagga09

Yeah, the metagame is so repetive. Im tired of seeing Scizor/Rotom-W/Heatran/Weather on every dang team.

Status
Not open for further replies.