• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it just me? or is Pokemon competitiveness losing its originality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, maybe "weather on every team" is a bit overly dramatic, seeing as how more than half of the teams for the past couple of months in OU have been weatherless.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
It's up to you to make it unique, I use uu and ru pokes in ou and I never really liked weather teams, but yeah if you add your own touch it still stays PHresh.

Zachmac

It's up to you to make it unique, I use uu and ru pokes in ou and I never really liked weather teams, but yeah if you add your own touch it still stays PHresh.
It doesn't always take NU or UU pokemon to make it unique either. I've made a volt turn team that didn't have Scizor or Weather, which I brought up earlier. I also made a TR sun team, even if that one isn't my best.

Also, if you're enemies being repetitive, try another metagame for a while. While I don't see anything keeping UU or Uber from being repetitive, it'll give you a taste of something else for a while. Knowing multiple metagames wouldn't really hurt, would it? I remember being tired of the same teams everywhere earlier in gen 5 and trying rotation battles on random matchup before.

As much as I'd like to see a slow down in weather, it's not that hard to put up with.

abrar14

Statter Master
Stop whining. No one is forcing you to play competitive

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
It doesn't always take NU or UU pokemon to make it unique either. I've made a volt turn team that didn't have Scizor or Weather, which I brought up earlier. I also made a TR sun team, even if that one isn't my best.

Also, if you're enemies being repetitive, try another metagame for a while. While I don't see anything keeping UU or Uber from being repetitive, it'll give you a taste of something else for a while. Knowing multiple metagames wouldn't really hurt, would it? I remember being tired of the same teams everywhere earlier in gen 5 and trying rotation battles on random matchup before.

As much as I'd like to see a slow down in weather, it's not that hard to put up with.

I know, but it makes the battle exciting, especially when you pwn ou teams.

-Raiga-

Stop whining. No one is forcing you to play competitive

There is absolutely no problem with adressing something that may have been good at one point and ruined.

It seems to me you're the only one complaining in the thread, most people are just having a friendly discussion.

ANYWAYS, as someone who really only competitively battled in third gen, one thing I can say is I think all the new attacks and dream world abilities have oversaturated the game to the point where it becomes unoriginal.

Sure if everyone had their entire life to learn all of this, that's one thing, but I've been following pokemon from the get-go, and whlie third gen, and a little of fourth, I was able to say "oh yeah, this item does that". But now there are plenty of "choice" items, more "bands" then I even know, etc.

Thats why classes like OU form, because people need to limit this stuff. But even THEN, I think this ridiculous amount of information is turning people off. Just my opinion though, like I said, been years since I've done anything in the field.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
Do you guys know why wheather and vol-turn and stuff like that gets used so much?

Simple, because they are the strategies that work the best. Competitive players tend to play to win and to be honest, you don't get bonus points for being original. Maybe if your original sets work just as well as the commonly used ones, but most of them tend to be inferior to the regular ones.

Zachmac

Do you guys know why wheather and vol-turn and stuff like that gets used so much?

Simple, because they are the strategies that work the best. Competitive players tend to play to win and to be honest, you don't get bonus points for being original. Maybe if your original sets work just as well as the commonly used ones, but most of them tend to be inferior to the regular ones.
I agree with this. People will want to use what works the best, so you'll be seeing what works well over and over again. I recently decided to try volt turn, and not only is it fun, but it's effective. Whenever I make a new team, it seems to have huge problems. My volt turn team, even though I just made it, is having very little problems, which I'm actually working on fixing right now.

As much as I'd like to just watch weather leave, I'm not going to criticize anyone for it, because they're, like me, aiming to make the best team possible.

Soperman

The One and Only

^This.

But seriously, people use weather because it works well and is generally easy to use. Plus, there are a lot of pokemon that benefit from weather.
If you choose not to use weather, great! You're slightly more original. If you do choose weather, you can use it to get high up on the ladder, if you know how to use it.

Redplay

The Strategist
I'm honestly surprized by these comments.
1) No one mentioned the Abomasnow strategy stolen and used by nearly everyone over the Global Battle Union
2) Get some originality here. Seriously. A Baton Pass Mew? How original.

Here's some REAL originality:

Sand) Pair Tyranitar with Reuniclus (Overcoat) in 2vs2 battle. Tyranitar sets up SR, while Reuniclus TR. Tyranitar's Focus Sash keeps it alive to use a STAB Rock Slide, and Reuniclus is bulky enough to sweep any survivor with Psychic.

Hail) Abomasnow and Articuno. Abomasnow can semi-sweep with its movepool, while Articuno can set Hail back up if need be, and it can set up barriers.

Rain) Set away from Surf + Water Absorb for once. Politoed and Lanturn in 2vs2. Politoed has Protect, takes no damage from the STAB&ElectricGem Discharge by Lanturn. Lanturn then uses Aqua Ring to stay alive longer, while Politoed spams Hyper Voices.

Sun)Seriously. This has become the most uncreative weather. Ninetails and Zoroark (disguised as Bisharp). Ninetails uses it's cliche Heat Wave, while Zoroark STAB Sucker Punch. Repeat.
Sun2) Ninetails and Unnerve Tyranitar. Ninetails spams Heat Wave/Shadow Ball, while Tyranitar can kill the remainder without Sand damage to Ninetails.

Need I say more?

Zachmac

1) No one mentioned the Abomasnow strategy stolen and used by nearly everyone over the Global Battle Union

Sand) Pair Tyranitar with Reuniclus (Overcoat) in 2vs2 battle. Tyranitar sets up SR, while Reuniclus TR. Tyranitar's Focus Sash keeps it alive to use a STAB Rock Slide, and Reuniclus is bulky enough to sweep any survivor with Psychic.

Hail) Abomasnow and Articuno. Abomasnow can semi-sweep with its movepool, while Articuno can set Hail back up if need be, and it can set up barriers.
Since when was TR in doubles original? Or sandstorm? And Reuniclus on a sand team? Nope, never heard of that before.

Also, I haven't fought very many baton pass mews. Just saying.

Anyway, we mostly play singles here. It's a lot different then doubles.

Ciliano

Oh, yes. A lot of what one will see when playing competitively are Baton Pass, Rain, Sand...etc, but I'm just whining. The metagame DOES change and you always have that one player that uses those "rogue sets".

bugcatchersdream

is not a moron

Rain) Set away from Surf + Water Absorb for once. Politoed and Lanturn in 2vs2. Politoed has Protect, takes no damage from the STAB&ElectricGem Discharge by Lanturn. Lanturn then uses Aqua Ring to stay alive longer, while Politoed spams Hyper Voices.

Sun)Seriously. This has become the most uncreative weather. Ninetails and Zoroark (disguised as Bisharp). Ninetails uses it's cliche Heat Wave, while Zoroark STAB Sucker Punch. Repeat.
Sun2) Ninetails and Unnerve Tyranitar. Ninetails spams Heat Wave/Shadow Ball, while Tyranitar can kill the remainder without Sand damage to Ninetails.

Need I say more?
All of those strategies are gimmicks and Overcoat is an inferior Magic Guard. The reason people use certain things a lot (e.g. VolTurn) is that they work. Originality isn't common in competitive battling because, say, if you use DD Crawdaunt in OU, you could use DDNite and get better results, because DDNite is flat-out better than DD Crawdaunt.

Zachmac

Oh, yes. A lot of what one will see when playing competitively are Baton Pass, Rain, Sand...etc, but I'm just whining. The metagame DOES change and you always have that one player that uses those "rogue sets".
I actually only see a baton pass team every now and then. Maybe one out of twenty battles.
Originality isn't common in competitive battling because, say, if you use DD Crawdaunt in OU, you could use DDNite and get better results, because DDNite is flat-out better than DD Crawdaunt.
I'd personally compare it to DD Gyarados. Crawdaunt is strong and all, but it's hard to set up with it and it's easily revenge killed.

Redplay

The Strategist
Zacmac, understood. TR is unoriginal, so you got me there, but a TR Sandstorm team? Think about that. I play off of the VGC rules because I find them more interesting.

To clarify, my point is everyone meshes an OU strategy with some random Pokemon, and calls it original. I purposely deal weird strategies because they confuse my opponent, and I have the advantage.

Redplay

The Strategist
By the way bugcatchersdream, see them for your self. DON't call a strategy a gimmick without actually seeing it work. I use those kinds of strategies all the time, and THEY WORK WONDERS, trust me to that extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.