• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it just me or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Literally can't remember the last time I posted here, but one topic has been irking me for a while now, and don't confuse this with bashing, but is it me or has nothing actually useful (minus Charizard's return) happened since the (underwhelming) league? I mean the span between generation 5 and 6 has been shorter than usual, only two and a half years compared to the usual four, and while the current team seemed more sophisticated in terms of rotation and such, it all seems pretty rushed, so I'm curious, was a filler saga with nothing of consequence really justified when half the team is underdeveloped and unevolved? The timing just seems off to me compared with the usual pacing and time frame, and while this may be the elephant in the room, am I the only one to have this view?

SlimeStack

Maybe they ran out of animation budget so they figured they may as well move the League and Episode N forward so that it would have something half-decent.

Or maybe they wanted the League to happen early on because Ash already had 8 badges after about a year and a half. We'd still be in a league training arc with no actual training otherwise.

Or maybe they just clung to the idea of Unova being Kanto 2.0 that they just HAD to pull an Orange Islands 2.0 too.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The head writer from DP and most of AG largely stepped down from the series. Tomioka only wrote a handful of BW episodes.

That's the reason Best Wishes seems so different compared to the writing style of the show we had for most of AG and DP.

diakyu

Everything was against BW after the quake. It was a shorter gen, an earthquake screwed over the major evil team, and there was a much larger "third game" for the anime to deal with. There are multiple reasons why BW ended up the way it did, it wasn't just the shorter gen.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Still doesn't account the poor filler saga. They could have turned the World Tournament idea from the games into another Battle Frontier type arc but didn't.

This is the first time Ash is actually just traveling for the sake of it, he's not challenging anyone or pursuing his goal at all.

SlimeStack

Did the quake really affect that much? I thought the original Plasma team were going to have limited appearances anyway because the decision had already been made to make Team Rocket the main villains. I also heard that the Meteonite was supposed to be part of the plot to capture the Therian trio. And the production team would have been well into the process of making all of the episodes as far as the Subway arc before the quake, and there were lots of terrible ones including the arc itself.

diakyu

Still doesn't account the poor filler saga. They could have turned the World Tournament idea from the games into another Battle Frontier type arc but didn't.

This is the first time Ash is actually just traveling for the sake of it, he's not challenging anyone or pursuing his goal at all.
Yeah, I can't make excuses for DA! lol. I literally have no idea why they did it.

Did the quake really affect that much? I thought the original Plasma team were going to have limited appearances anyway because the decision had already been made to make Team Rocket the main villains.
I find this hard to believe. But we really can't tell what the writers wanted from TP. But there is no way they were not going to put N into the anime. He's really popular, even in the early days of Black and White.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Did the quake really affect that much? I thought the original Plasma team were going to have limited appearances anyway because the decision had already been made to make Team Rocket the main villains. I also heard that the Meteonite was supposed to be part of the plot to capture the Therian trio. And the production team would have been well into the process of making all of the episodes as far as the Subway arc before the quake, and there were lots of terrible ones including the arc itself.

I have to agree, if two episodes effected the rest of the series, then that's pretty freaking sad, I mean they have these episodes planned in advance so what about episodes after those two?

LizardonX

Banned
Nah you aren't alone. Most people here think Da is a bunch of un eventful fillers, some are very vocally against this view though.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
We know that the six months after the canceled two-parter were what was planned and probably a bit after that, but we don't know about anything past that, including the N arc. Additionally, Gamefreak's decision to make sequels happened fairly late, at a point when the anime writers would likely have had the generation loosely planned out and the first arc well under way. The anime was basically dealt a one-two punch in terms of following its plans this gen.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

All the earthquake affected was the skipping/retconning/banishment (?) of the original BW023 and BW024. The episodes have to be prepared so far in advance that not only the Subway arc, but possibly as far as almost to the Tirtouga arc was in some form of production by the time those episodes were skipped, be it in animation or scripting.

I doubt the Meteonite was meant to be directly linked to the Kami Trio, but had those episodes aired, I think we would have seen a consistent theme throughout Unova with Team Rocket's missions except for the Tirtouga one. One of the scans leading to the retconned episodes heavily implied that the Meteonite could control the weather and other natural phenomena (such as an erupting volcano) and its name is literally a pun that can be translated as "Weather Night." The running theme throughout BW was meant to be that Team Rocket was going to use weather/nature control to conquer Unova.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
The head writer from DP and most of AG largely stepped down from the series. Tomioka only wrote a handful of BW episodes..
Good Gravy was that it?

I guess I feel slightly better knowing that the changes in writing style's due to different people writing the series. The difference is like day and night. Even the stuff they tried to keep the same like post Team Plasma Team Rocket feel different.

diakyu

All the earthquake affected was the skipping/retconning/banishment (?) of the original BW023 and BW024. The episodes have to be prepared so far in advance that not only the Subway arc, but possibly as far as almost to the Tirtouga arc was in some form of production by the time those episodes were skipped, be it in animation or scripting.
But did it effect Team Plasma's role in the anime? I doubt Team Plasma was only going to be seen for one two-parter and then disappear until after the league. Is it possible that Team Plasma was meant to be in some of the other team rocket two-parters but were taken out (besides the subway two-parter)?

All this just really makes me wonder what the writers really wanted to do with Team Plasma in the anime. It also makes me wonder when the writers learned of BW2 and that there was going to be more Team Plasma to cover than just the stuff in BW.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm surprised that the DA filler arc is getting so much hate. I mean BW as a whole has been really bad imo, and I don't think DA is any worse to be honest. At least there's more comedy and some fan service here and there. I'm not a huge fan of how this arc is being handled, and I do wish Ash would train his neglected Pokemon, but it could be worse.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
But did it effect Team Plasma's role in the anime? I doubt Team Plasma was only going to be seen for one two-parter and then disappear until after the league. Is it possible that Team Plasma was meant to be in some of the other team rocket two-parters but were taken out (besides the subway two-parter)?

The episodes were already either done or nearly done. Team Plasma could not have showed up any earlier than Season 2, ever.

diakyu

The episodes were already either done or nearly done. Team Plasma could not have showed up any earlier than Season 2, ever.
Huh, well then at that point I guess the decision was already made to push them past the league (well that was probably made long before Best Wishes 2). It's a shame I guess. I would've like to see what BW would've been like if all this hadn't happened to it.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Nah you aren't alone. Most people here think Da is a bunch of un eventful fillers, some are very vocally against this view though.

What I don't understand is that people who like BW are new to the anime, disliked a good chunk of past series, like a certain BW character, or just don't care anymore. Is this an accurate description or am I not seeing everything correctly?

This series has been pretty frustrating and it hurts as an older fan to see this happen.

Nightstar1994

I disagree, they couldn't have went as far with the episodes, and edits obviously happened. As much as you will try to defend BW, in reality you're aware what's true and what obviously not. Same with TP appearing pre-league.

We were also supposed to get Looker, an old character in a season where they removed almost every pre Gen-V Poke and Human bar Delia, Oak and Ash.

It's obviously obvious that the Earthquake REALLY affected Best Wishes as a whole. That's why i also don't except TR to be any serious in Gen VI, studio wants to keep it safe from unexpected events like this ever happening.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?

This. 1000x THIS!

Seriously, people keep building up those episodes as if they were the end all be all of all episodes and were going to be the best of the whole series since its beginning and that by them not airing, it ruined the Best Wishes series. People don't want to see to acknowledge the fact that they went going to be as good as they were building it up to be and the series was just poorly written all around.

And to answer the OP, It's not just you. Nothing of semblance (And I'm starting to include Charizard's return to this list) has happened in this filler arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.