• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it just me or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Why would they not expect that? I could see them not expecting like people that only watched OS and nothing after, but the odds are that people that watched through dp would still keep watching BW.

Because the Pokemon anime is made for kids. And kids, especially in Japan, usually grow out of Pokemon as they grow up. DP was made with the impression that kids who watched AG would still be kids and still into Pokemon, but BW was made with the impression that those kids have grown out of it and thus tailored for a new audience. It was the same with AG, which was made for a new audience than the kids who watched the OS. The new audience won't be complaining about Ash being reset, since they aren't attached to him in any way.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Because the Pokemon anime is made for kids. And kids, especially in Japan, usually grow out of Pokemon as they grow up. DP was made with the impression that kids who watched AG would still be kids and still into Pokemon, but BW was made with the impression that those kids have grown out of it and thus tailored for a new audience. It was the same with AG, which was made for a new audience than the kids who watched the OS. The new audience won't be complaining about Ash being reset, since they aren't attached to him in any way.

Was it really? I remember when AG began it felt like the writers were also aiming it also at the original fanbase. Ash felt like he "grew up" with the audience by the time Hoenn started, Brock returned for a familiar character, and May was introduced for new little kids, girls, and people who grew tired of Misty in Johto.

Especially since back then Hoenn was only "Season 6" of the anime, and it wasn't that far from when the show originally began.

SlimeStack

On the subject of DA quality, I actually am looking forward to it (dub is only just approaching N climax). The BW writers cannot handle an actual arc. They are much better at doing self-contained episodes. I'd much rather watch Scare in the Litwick Mansion or Beauties Battling for Pride and Prejudice than something like Ash's Mind Is Blown By A Simple Mean Look And Roar Tactic, Team Rocket Rob A Pokémon Center Again But This Time It Takes A 6 Episode Arc or Ash Has A Nightmare About Searching For Axew And Being Beaten By Cameron In The Unova League.

And how do I know that this isn't an opinion but a fact? Proof? Or at least semi-solid proof like you knowing a couple of people in Japan? You just blamed Cyber about passing opinions as facts lol..

Virgil134

PMD Writer
The only true fillers it had were:

- Ampharos (DP130)
- Tangrowth (DP134)
- Pokémon Hustle (DP135)
- Piplup, Elekid and Marill (DP137)
- Togepi (DP142)
- Windworks (DP144)
- Murkrow and Dark Stone (DP148)
- Pikachu and Piplup "love" (DP149)
- Magnezone and Metagross (DP158)
- Ditto (DP173)
- Meowth and Glameow (DP178)

And a lot of stuff happened in-between, like the GF, the Team Galactic finale, various evolutions, Ash and Paul's first full battle, Brandon vs. Paul, Bertha, Shaymin and Heatran, Gible and Togekiss, Lyra tagging along... I'd hardly call those episodes fillers. You may dislike them, but that doesn't make them fillers.

You must have forgotten about these episodes:

DP133
DP139
DP140
DP145
DP153
DP155
DP159
DP164
DP167
DP169
DP172

Combined with the episodes you mentioned that makes 22 episodes. Maybe not 40, but more than what BW had after the league. Bashing BW because of "all" the fillers it had after the league, while being fine with DP's gap is pure hypocrisy.

What did DA! accomplish of any relevance, a part Ash and Iris breaking up and Oak getting a Rotom?

Barely anything, I couldn't care less about DA honestly. Hell, I don't even consider it the same series as Unova just because of how different it is. Maybe I should just use the term Unova from now on instead of BW.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."

That is like saying all children that watch pokemon in the western side of the world don't grow any attachment to Ash and simply move on like nothing ever happened. If that is the case we wouldn't be here discussing such a topic. Any child, not all, will grow some sort attachment to either Ash, his pokemon or a different character in total. The anime caters for all ages, some overpowers others. Pokemon is not your typical teenager-aim anime.

Last edited:

DP133
DP139
DP140
DP145
DP153
DP155
DP159
DP164
DP167
DP169
DP172

Combined with the episodes you mentioned that makes 22 episodes. Maybe not 40, but more than what BW had after the league. Bashing BW because of "all" the fillers it had after the league, while being fine with DP's gap is pure hypocrisy.

Barely anything, I couldn't care less about DA honestly. Hell, I don't even consider it the same series as Unova just because of how different it is. Maybe I should just use the term Unova from now on instead of BW.

DP 133 IS A FILLER? Do you even know what a fliler is?

Even so.

You counter argue about how bad Best Wishes is by commenting on DP's fillers?Nobody said DP fillers are great in this thread as far as I saw. DP didn't have the filler straight but were rather spread out. So people could afford to skip those fillers and had something to look forward to the week after that. Pray tell me what the flip are people looking forward to when Da! was announced? Did you even see the depleting amount of posts in the Episode discussion thread?

Your argument is utterly wrong.

P.S: I am not a pro-BestWishes bashing party, I am just a DP fanatic. I love parts of Best Wishes Da! like the Butterfree episode :p

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Some DP fillers were good like the evil Togepi episode but people watched DP for the battles, rivals, villains and plot.

If not for that nobody would have cared.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash

DP133

Non-filler. It focused on Ash and his team recovering from the crushing defeat after the full battle. Also, Uxie appeared.

That's debatable, since Oak appeared and Dawn met him for the first time.

We knew about how Barry knew Heracross. It isn't much different from the episode when we knew a bit of Trip's backstory.

That's a capture episode...

It could be considered filler, but Growlie and Jessebelle appeared again. We knew more of James's backstory.

Zoey is revealed to have got a Kirlia and Leafeon. Also, Dawn starts working on a new combination. Debatable.

Buizel learns Ice Punch. How is a training episode filler? It's not different from Excadrill's and Iris's episode.

A bonding episode. Also Piplup learns Hydro Pump.

Training episode. Debatable.

Pokemon Ranger special. It could be considered filler, if Heatran appearing doesn't count.

Dawn learns how to get in sync with Togekiss. Non-filler.

Um, maybe DP has more fillers because it lasts 4 years instead of 3? Of course it has more fillers if we look that way.

You counter argue about how bad Best Wishes is by commenting on DP's fillers?Nobody said DP fillers are great in this thread as far as I saw. DP didn't have the filler straight but were rather spread out. So people could afford to skip those fillers and had something to look forward to the week after that. Pray tell me what the flip are people looking forward to when Da! was announced? Did you even see the depleting amount of posts in the Episode discussion thread?

I never expected much, but it would have been good to have a good goal. Honestly, since I had such low expectations at the beginning I'm enjoying DA! much more than some parts of BW and BW2. So... that can be considered a good thing, I guess.

I never expected much, but it would have been good to have a good goal. Honestly, since I had such low expectations at the beginning I'm enjoying DA! much more than some parts of BW and BW2. So... that can be considered a good thing, I guess.

Trust me, I am enjoying Da! too (not as much as a league battle I agree). The Butterfree and Iris episodes were my favorites. After having like ten thousand threads of repeating BW sucks, I thought one might get tired of complaining. I am wrong.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
Most if not all fillers are pointless anyway and are only to stall for the next episode to fill gaps in, whether or not you like any that's your opinion. So all sagas have it, not only BW K?

I'm not sure what's the purpose of this thread though, sorry.. :/

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Most if not all fillers are pointless anyway and are only to stall for the next episode to fill gaps in, whether or not you like any that's your opinion. So all sagas have it, not only BW K?

That's the main question of the OP: "Was a filler saga with nothing of consequence really justified when half the team is underdeveloped and unevolved?"

Honestly, I would like to see the Unova Pokemon being developed before being (probably) ditched for XY but I'm not expecting that.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

But the difference is that because of the poorly timed BW saga and rushing things early on, We now have 35-40 episodes straight of filler between the league and xy. That is all fact, And I don't see how anyone could reasonably say it is good for the anime.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
But the difference is that because of the poorly timed BW saga and rushing things early on, We now have 35-40 episodes straight of filler between the league and xy. That is all fact, And I don't see how anyone could reasonably say it is good for the anime.

That's a lot! I checked and so far there's only been 10 fillers with 2 possible upcoming. 1 of which gave N development so no, not at least that many. If there's around 9 episodes left and I could see only a few more fillers to come.

Hm, it seems BW didn't have many till now but it's still fine since all sagas placing of fillers are all around anyway.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Yep, yet ANOTHER thread of "let's all whine and bash BW because it's not the same bland, formula-driven writing that we all think was so brilliant!"

Grow up, Pokemon fandom.
I agree. I can't discuss everything with the fandom. Not because I love BEst Wishes but because there are members of the fandom who don't think anmd only are posting for spam.

I'm not saying that BW is as terrible as a whole as some have made it, and the bashing gets over excessive a lot, but not all of it has to do with just being "different" from the formula. It is hard to defend the way they handled the league or handled having maybe nearly 20 episodes of filler and nothing important happening between the end of the league and the end of the saga. Or basically half of ash's team almost never seeing the light of day.
You have expressed what the fans could do. The writers have given up on Best Wishes and we are suffering it.

You must be confusing BW with DP, a series that DID have around 40 fillers in a row.
Diamond and Pearl probably don't have 40 fillers in total even if the saga was really long.

A part of Episode N and Charizard's return, I indeed feel that nothing important is happening here. No important tournaments, no development of the main cast's teams, no true goal. Sure, the Clair episode may be relevant for Iris's development and Alexa may be the connection between Best Wishes and the XY anime, but I find it strange that they rushed through the League and Episode N... for that. This is why the fandom are complaining about Decolora Adventures and the fans are taking a hiatus to this show and they aren0t watching it like before.

Are you talking about the 7th and 8th Badges' gap? Because in that gap there were only around 10 filler episodes and they were spread. DA! has way more fillers in a row than DP.
Da is 80% fillers. That gap is non-fillers (for themost part) like you explained later. At lest in that gap there are more interesting things than in Decolora Adventures.

Every bad saga always have decent and important episodes relating to either a character's pokemon or the character, BW just hasn't done this to a consistent rate that makes people consider it good or decent saga when comparing it to either AG or DP.

Take what you will from BW, N's arc and Da! They all had their important moments but sadly their fillers overpower them thus giving them over excessive attention then they need.
With the exception of Da! fillers aren't a problem.

Except that it DID do it at a consistent rate. It's just that it didn't do it the way fans wanted it to. They want Ash to be like in AG/DP and Iris to be exactly like May and Dawn and their Pokemon to get episodes and episodes of on-screen training in order to be "properly developed".
You have described correctly opne of those two characters. And Dawn is the only one that had episodes dedicated episodes about training. Ash's DP training episodes focueses on other things. This is one of the differences between may and Dawn.

Did you not read anything previously said? The earthquake and postponement of those two episodes affected NOTHING. Up to Twist Mountain was planned to go exactly as it did when the earthquake happened. No arc was postponed, just the two-part CONCLUSION to an arc. People need to do the effing research instead of using this event as a scapegoat as to why BW didn't go the route they wanted it to.
Are yopu a writer of the Pokemon anime?

Ran out of ideas? I must have imagined those tournament arcs, Meowth arc, Milos Island arc, Chargestone/Black Ruins/Krokorok string of episodes, Twist Mountain two-parter, long-*** Meloetta arc culminating in Ash finally facing Giovanni, Iris' gradual development, and Episode N.
hhhmmmm.....
Tournaments: Disliked for many of the members oif the fandom, specially the Junior Cup.
-Meoiwth arc: Is caused because your favourite is disliked by some of the audsience, including Inuko Inuyama.
-Whatr putrpose have the Chargestone episodes?
-Twist Mountain? How boring.
-Meloetta. Here I have to agree with you.
-Well, I agree that Iris had many developement because it's true although there are inconsistent at times.
-Episode N: is liked by the fandom but I'm mixed about it. Villanous teams arc aren't my strong thing.

Well if fans get something use to something they enjoy dearly and seeing it be wiped away in the span of one episode and only progress further down one can only complain and ask why.

Ash was clearly handled well in both AG/DP when comparing to the current saga. Seeing him mature and helping May and Dawn at first showed us his learned a few things in his journey. For that to be wiped away and written like it never happened can get irritating and thus the hate for BW only increases.
If you have a pokemon "fan" that watches the anime insiden the target audience and yoiu send on to watch the Sinnoih GF, the Sinnoh League and teh Unova League, see what they are watching.

The only true fillers it had were:

- Ampharos (DP130) Not filler. Looker appears for the firs ttime. Looker is a character from DP, @Virgil133
- Tangrowth (DP134) Mamoswine learns Hidden Power whose is used in Contests and in Best Wishes.
- Pokémon Hustle (DP135)
- Piplup, Elekid and Marill (DP137)
- Togepi (DP142)
- Windworks (DP144) We know Cyndaquil attacks, Cyndaquil and Piplup's rivalry.
- Murkrow and Dark Stone (DP148)
- Pikachu and Piplup "love" (DP149)
- Magnezone and Metagross (DP158)
- Ditto (DP173)
- Meowth and Glameow (DP178)

And a lot of stuff happened in-between, like the GF, the Team Galactic finale, various evolutions, Ash and Paul's first full battle, Brandon vs. Paul, Bertha, Shaymin and Heatran, Gible and Togekiss, Lyra tagging along... I'd hardly call those episodes fillers. You may dislike them, but that doesn't make them fillers.

What did DA! accomplish of any relevance, a part Ash and Iris breaking up and Oak getting a Rotom And Oshawott winning a tournament and ending his losing streak.

Sadly that isn't the case, there will always be people out there watching the show and making notes as if they are preparing themselves for a school paper. But sometimes kid shows like Pokemon can attract more audiences than children themselves.
In America, is a 15% of the audience of average. In japan is a 25% of audience of average the audience outsid eof the target audience.

DP133 Not filler because Brock seeing Uxie, Ash having a depression.
DP139 Not filler because Brock appearsd in Sinnoh and Dawn meets Oak in person.
DP140
DP145 Not filler because Khoury catch Gible and Ash tries to catch Gi9ble which hypes Ash catching Gible later.
DP153 Team Rocket backstory. Not filler.
DP155 Not filler. A training episode, we learnt about Paul getting 8 gym badges, Zoey getrting 5 ribbons, we learnt about Kirlia and Leafeon and the Ice Chandelier which is used later.
DP159 Traning episode where Ash learns to Buizel Iced Punch and perfect the Ice Aqua Jet technique.
DP164 Piplup learns Hydro Pump which is used until the end of Diamond and Pearl.
DP167 Jessilina wins the fourth ribbon, is confirmed where the GF will held, is ocnfirmed that Dawn will get a dress for the GF.
DP169 Promotes Ranger. This is more debatable.
DP172 Trains TOgekiss for the GF. That loses against Zoey (which is waaaaay better than loising against Cameron doesn't validy theuir training. Specially because Togekiss put a good fight in DP177.

Combined with the episodes you mentioned that makes 22 episodes. Maybe not 40, but more than what BW had after the league. Bashing BW because of "all" the fillers it had after the league, while being fine with DP's gap is pure hypocrisy. What?

You are biased because your favourite TRio eaves the episodes but they are in the show acting as your not favourite TRio.

DP 133 IS A FILLER? Do you even know what a fliler is?

Even so.

Your argument is utterly wrong.

P.S: I am not a pro-BestWishes bashing party, I am just a DP fanatic. I love parts of Best Wishes Da! like the Butterfree episode :p
I agree with Dracoflare. DOP is better than BW, I prefer Diamond and Pearl and although Best Wishes has good things, they are douing big mistakes.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
That's a lot! I checked and so far there's only been 10 fillers with 2 possible upcoming. 1 of which gave N development so no, not at least that many. If there's around 9 episodes left and I could see only a few more fillers to come.

Hm, it seems BW didn't have many till now but it's still fine since all sagas placing of fillers are all around anyway.
I honestly don't count n getting development as non filler because he was only in like 10 episodes total and we will never see him again. All of episode n was a filler saga, and da is too.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
I honestly don't count n getting development as non filler because he was only in like 10 episodes total and we will never see him again. All of episode n was a filler saga, and da is too.

I'm guessing Orange Islands and the Kanto Battle Frontier were all filler too by that logic.

If an episode has an impact on the story or continuity then it is non filler but if you see something as filler it's only your opinion. It still doesn't make any sense though.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
I'm guessing Orange Islands and the Kanto Battle Frontier were all filler too by that logic.

If an episode has an impact on the story or continuity then it is non filler but if you see something as filler it's only your opinion. It still doesn't make any sense though.

I have to partially agree with youke here. A part of Charizard coming back, Episode N was more a self-centered saga than something connected to the whole series. With that I'm not saying that it wasn't good. Just that it didn't have a general impact.

BW didn't have enough fillers so it's okay to shove them all together? What kind of logical argument is that? You are no way supporting the pro-Best Wishes argument, and in fact reflecting badly upon those who support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.