• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it just me who doesn't hate the fillers of Johto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin

MALDREAD
Anyway, I usually am more forgiving towards the writers in the Original Series just because it was the 'early years.'

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Anyway, I usually am more forgiving towards the writers in the Original Series just because it was the 'early years.'

The Johto saga technically isn't, the "early years."

It was the whole second generation. Classic Pokemon ended with Orange Islands at the latest.

When people think of "classic" pokemon, they think of Ash with Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard on his roster, not the Johto team. Johto was neither the first saga of 8 Gyms, nor did it have Ash's original team for most of it. That's what people remember about the early seasons.

Last edited:

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I quite enjoyed Johto, okay it was the era were I first lost interest in the series but that was because I was a young kid who was just copying everyone else, but I've been back and rewatched all the episodes since then, its not as bad as people on here make it out to be. I'd prefer it to BW were everything is rushed and it just doesn't seem like the pokemon have had time to develop, and its fillers are more enjoyable than ones from AG imo, but that's probably because I couldn't care much for the characters in AG.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
But the problem is Johto was long and still nobody really developed. Ash's Johto team didn't go through much development at all. I still can't believe Ash only had one evolution over the entire 150 ep span of Johto.

Blessed

I quite enjoyed Johto, its fillers are more enjoyable than ones from AG imo, but that's probably because I couldn't care much for the characters in AG.

Yeah, I said the same thing too. AG doesn't appeal to me at all with its dull fillers.

Blessed

I've seen enough to know, so don't post remarks on things you don't know. Its a very unwise thing to do if you didn't know.

pokemon fan 132

The Johto saga technically isn't, the "early years."

It was the whole second generation. Classic Pokemon ended with Orange Islands at the latest.

Yet more often than not people include Johto along with Kanto and Orange islands as classic era of pokemon.
Which is probably because of original trio, older pokemon from Ash being largely present taking away focus from JOhto pokemon etc.

But the problem is Johto was long and still nobody really developed. Ash's Johto team didn't go through much development at all. I still can't believe Ash only had one evolution over the entire 150 ep span of Johto.

Im not sure how "no one developed"?

Ash became abit more mature and strategic in pokemon battles which can be noticed during Johto gym battles and battles in general not being so brash, naive and hotheaded like we used to see him in Kanto, OI days. We also saw some of pokemon like Bayleef growing as well realizing she became too heavy to jump in Ash lap and became less infatuating after evolution.

Misty became more mature and levelheaded growing to appreciate her friendship with Ash and Brock , improved as trainer and got over complex of feeling inferior compared to sisters. Growth which was further carried to chronicles and specials after departure becoming more responsible and confident in herself and abilities as trainer. We had quite a few episodes focusing on her growth like "For Crying Out Loud", Whirl cup arc, "Some Like it Hot" etc.
We saw Brock enriching his knowledge as breeder learning about new medicines and potions applying his knowledge on several occasions. Such as taking care of young Stantler, entering breeder contest with Suzie etc.

To extent we can say Gary grew a bit too becoming more calm deciding what he wants to do with life.

Admittedly gaps between moments where characters or pokemon experienced some form of growth were big often filled with episodes of no importance, which i guess made such things less memorable.

But yes in Johto there existed development, even though it wasn't done on daily basis not being treated as coherent story telling.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yet more often than not people include Johto along with Kanto and Orange islands as classic era of pokemon.
Which is probably because of original trio, older pokemon from Ash being largely present taking away focus from JOhto pokemon etc.

Its still not the first season or original generation. If you want to get technical you can't even include Orange Islands because Tracey was there instead of Brock.

When people think of the original series they think of Ash with his original team of Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard....they weren't like that for 80% of Johto.

Im not sure how "no one developed"?

But yes in Johto there existed development, even though it wasn't done on daily basis not being treated as coherent story telling.

I agree with your points, but nobody developed, "enough."

Most of the stuff Misty/Brock went through was pretty much forgotten as soon as the next episode. Misty never brought up that Marill again, Brock never brought up that Stantler again, etc.

Also did anyone realize that Misty and Brock each only make one capture for the entire span of Johto? All Misty caught was Corsola and Brock only caught Pineco, but that's it. An entire generation with only one capture for each of them?

pokemon fan 132

Its still not the first season or original generation. If you want to get technical you can't even include Orange Islands because Tracey was there instead of Brock.

When people think of the original series they think of Ash with his original team of Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard....they weren't like that for 80% of Johto.

To be fair in most cases people pair Orange Islands with Kanto because it was still part of first generation. As for Johto while it was second generation considering how its classified as part of OS is probably main reason why many people view whole set as classic era of pokemon,.

I met many fans which consider Johto classic as well.

I agree with your points, but nobody developed, "enough."

Most of the stuff Misty/Brock went through was pretty much forgotten as soon as the next episode. Misty never brought up that Marill again, Brock never brought up that Stantler again, etc.

True this events weren't brought up again, but through this episodes it was set up groundwork through which their characters gradually developed over time. We saw Misty growing more independent and abit more mature before writers explored more on this through hosos with complex with sisters, or her competition in Whirl Cup being brought up in future episodes (such as encounters with Sakura). Her bond with Marill allowed her to better understand feelings of her own pokemon such as Poliwhirl who she helped about self esteem issue.

And she just stopped caring about bike and became more understanding to Ash idiocy despite her annoyance becoming closer as friend to him and Brock calling them in Johto quite a few times as "new family", making even so harder for her to leave them.

Ash battle style improved more which can be noticed especially in gym battles against girl with Scarmory when he trained Cyndaquil, against Claire, Pryce or Chuck using Machoke strength against himself etc.,

He in behavior became less stubborn and rivalry with Gary became less offensive growing to respect each other concluding it through spectacular finale in Johto league.

Granted there existed voids between this moments and i agree how this wasn't enough at all, but still we could have seen gradual growth in characters to an extent.

Also did anyone realize that Misty and Brock each only make one capture for the entire span of Johto? All Misty caught was Corsola and Brock only caught Pineco, but that's it. An entire generation with only one capture for each of them?

Admittedly that was one of biggest down points for Johto. Although to be fair Brock technically only caught one new pokemon in Kanto as well, since Vulpix was borrowed to him.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
It depends on which fillers are we talking about because there weren't many that I did like.

Wired for battle was my favorite.
The Smoochum one.
The Houndoom one. (would have been better if Togepi wasn't there)
The Ashuchu one was cool.
The grass competition
The seaking competition was awesome.

I can name more but I don't have the time.

cg19293

I don't hate them. Even the lamest episodes usually had a redeeming feature. Johto's best fillers were better than any other sagas fillers and the lamest fillers werr better than the other sagas lamest fillers.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
I agree. The fillers had their own story. I really liked the ruins episode with the staff to control pOkmeon in a certain area. Too bad I didn't see a whole lot, but I saw a good bit.

*~Silver*~

I found Kanto and Johto were my two favorite regions in the show, and game.
Yes, I do actually like the fillers. They're always entertaining, and have good little mini-plots, even though they don't contribute to the overall story of the series.

I agree. The fillers had their own story. I really liked the ruins episode with the staff to control pOkmeon in a certain area. Too bad I didn't see a whole lot, but I saw a good bit.

It was too funny was Jessie was using that thing. xD

Last edited by a moderator:

kaibachaoschampion

Feather Trainer
I remember the Johto fillers. It just felt like a really long time waiting for the next gym to come. I think they got progressively better with Hoenn and Sinnoh and Unova is too short to complain.

I started watching the anime again after about ten years or so (I lost Kids WB around 2002 or so), and I actually enjoyed the Johto episodes so far. Not sure what I see in them that others don't seem to, but I enjoy the fillers.

Nope. I'm actually with you on this opinion: I liked the Johto fillers. It's the Sinnoh fillers I wasn't too keen on, namely the ones from the Snowpoint City Gym to the Sunyshore city Gym (7th to 8th Gym Badge). Too long a gap from gym to gym there. XD.

Though I thought it could be because Johto was the first region to feature such extensive amount of filler episodes, but I've been rewatching and loving all the Johto episodes, so I don't think that's the case anymore. I don't really know why I like them so much either. ;)

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
IMO the better Johto fillers were the ones that focused on Team Rocket, oddly enough. The fillers that were just made to introduce a new pokemon and for Ash to help its trainer were usually the terrible ones.

IMO the better Johto fillers were the ones that focused on Team Rocket, oddly enough. The fillers that were just made to introduce a new pokemon and for Ash to help its trainer were usually the terrible ones.

I liked the ones that focused on TRio the best as well: definitely more than the ones where Ash had to help a trainer while introducing a new Pokemon, which are worse to me, but I didn't think they were terrible (IMO, of course).

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I liked the ones that focused on TRio the best as well: definitely more than the ones where Ash had to help a trainer while introducing a new Pokemon, which are worse to me, but I didn't think they were terrible (IMO, of course).

Depends which ones. I hated the fillers about Ledyba, Hoppip, Wooper, Sunflora, Remoraid, Snubbull, Chinchou, Murkrrow, etc. for example. Such boring repetitive episodes.

Although there were some good ones early on like the Houndour one and the Hoot Hoot forest ep. The Ursaring ep was great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.