• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it pointless to EV train now that Gen5 is comming?

acer blaze

Is it pointless to EV train in Gen4 now that Gen5 is comming?

I recently started to EV train awhile back.

But, then I realized that the 5th generation is comming (most likely with battle mechanic changes too). Would it be pointless to EV train now, because the 5th generation is comming? I feel like my progress would be wasted if I did stop training.

Last edited:

SolarPowerX

Maybe, maybe not. The demand for specific EV placement would depend on the new type of moves certain pokemon gain and of course, the new pokemon you'd have to battle (like, walls with unique typing and such). If anything, I'd say just EV train whatever you can and have fun with it now, and hopefully, the EV spreads won't need to be changed with all the new additions in the new games, well, not much anyway. If it makes you feel any better, we've still got quite a while to go before the new games come out. There's still plenty of fun to be had with the 4th gen.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
If, and only if, you have no interest in Competitive battling. Because if you do try to battle with Pokemon that weren't properly trained, then you'll be in for a world of hurt.

Cerex

It really depends on what the new moves are and if there are any new changes in the gaming mechanics.

But I don't think it will be very pointless. If anything you can use EV trained Pokemon to get good trades in the meantime as everyone outside of JP will have to wait until 2011, and I don't think competitive players are going to stop and just sit around and wait.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I don't think a majority of pokemon's stats are going to change (except for maybe those that get new evo's), so whatever stats they are dominant in now will probably remain the same. So the new moves that will be introduced in the 5th Gen will most likely reflect whatever movepool they already had. For example, if Garchomp receives any new moves they will most likely be Physical ones, and if Starmie gets some new moves they will most likely be Special ones because those are the types of moves that their stats are made for. So you should continue to EV train despite the fact the 5th Gen is approaching.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Not at all. It'll carry over to Gen 5, assuming its possible to trade between Gen 4 and 5.

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Not at all. It'll carry over to Gen 5, assuming its possible to trade between Gen 4 and 5.

It is possible. That is how the beast trio event is going to work.

Keep on EV training. It will help when B/W come out.

darksteel460

slice and dice
id definitely suggest doing it in case if you want a good battle, you could always come here to the forums for battle and with ev trained guys, you may have an advantage over guys who aren't

flygonabsol99

yeah i was kinda wondering this too.but still,you can somehow get 4th gen pokemon into 5th gen,so you can just take them into there

WarriorX

If you're a serious competitive battler then you will continue to EV train.

Cherry!!

Like pretty much all of the above posts have stated EV training is key to having the best pokemon, I think it's highly unlikely that the 5th gen games will get rid of the effort value system, so keep at it.

UmbreonLord

5th Gen OU
ofc it's not pointless to EV train now, if the worst comes to the worst, just grow some EV reducing berries, and re-EV. It might even be easier with B/W, but I'm not getting my hopes up ^^

Mupen64 Man

Hitmonlee
I don't really think that they would make that drastic of a change to make EV training useless. Why? are there rumors of that happening? Haven't been on the forums in a while.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
Yes I think ev training is necessary. It will help alot for battles even if B/W is coming out. But I think just new moves will affect this. I think the moves we have now will stay physical and special respectively.

acer blaze

Hmm, but then I'll have to switch around my EV's in the new generation. Movesets last when changing generations right? Like subseeding. That was around in Advance, and kept going in 4th gen.

Last edited:

Tag3r

i wantz beef!
Even though personally i do not EV train, you should probably train because although its not been fully pointed out, you will be able to transfer Pokemon form DPPt and HGSS to Black and White. Or at least the legendary dogs because you need them to activate the Zoroak event, but I highly doubt that they would make it so you can only trade them. Where as the EV mechanics may or may not change, I would still train them because...
1. They may not change at all,
2. We have at least 8 months till it comes out.
3. When it does come out, they will be worth a couple shinies because people will want them to put on their new games

bookist

It would depend if there would be trading between the two gens. If there is trading you might be able to get something good, otherwise there will probably be little point to it.