• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it possible to have more than 6 Pokemon at a time?

harryheart

The reason I ask is because you have people who own Pokemon Farms, Pokemon Ranches and so on and its often been seen that they own more Pokemon that the given six. I believe that this has been shown on a number of occasions in the anime and I was just wondering whether I was correct or not and what exactly was your opinion on this.​

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
Wouldn't you have to own the Pokemon for it to count, and when I say own I mean keep it in a Pokeball. (or for it to have a Pokeball, like Ash's Pikachu.) And for it to belong to you.

Also if you wanted you could give it to someone else for safekeeping. (Like Ash does by giving the Pokemon to Oak)

And I am 97% sure that this is correct.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
I'm guessing that the "only 6 at a time" rule only applies to actual trainers(and probably coordinators, although as far as I remember, we've technically never been explicitly told they can only have six at a time). Other people have no reason to operate under the League(/Contest association?) rules, after all, and in many cases it would hurt their business if they could only have six Pokemon(in the case of ranchers/farmers/daycare owners).

dman_dustin

It really is a wonder how the whole "storage system" works in the anime, I mean with the games it makes a lot of sense considering it could apply to everyone.

But the anime is a bit more realistic, in that Pokemon just aren't data, so it must be a wonder how it works, when a trainer doesn't have a Pokedex.

However in the anime (recently) more and more trainers are given a Pokedex, so maybe the Pokedex does take care of things like this. I'm really not sure what happens when a trainer has six Pokemon (no Pokedex), and is about to capture another one.

It's something they really haven't touched upon in the anime, despite being very important in the games.

However to answer the main question yes it is technically possible to have more than six Pokemon at a time (especially with ranchers). I mean if Ash goes to Professor Oak's Lab, he does have actual control over all his Pokemon not just his party. True it's not the same, but still.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I think that you're only allowed to TRAVEL with six pokemon on your person at any time. Pokemon who remain in one place seem fairly limitless

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
I think the 6-to-a-team is only if they are in Pokeballs. Supposing you had six in balls, and like Ash against gary at the J league, pikachu as the 7th outside, I think thats allowed.

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
I'm guessing that the "only 6 at a time" rule only applies to actual trainers(and probably coordinators, although as far as I remember, we've technically never been explicitly told they can only have six at a time). Other people have no reason to operate under the League(/Contest association?) rules, after all, and in many cases it would hurt their business if they could only have six Pokemon(in the case of ranchers/farmers/daycare owners).

pretty sure its only 6 at a time on you while you arnt at your house, gym etc. ash caught the krabby in that one episode and it got immeditly teleported to oak only for his pokedex to explain you cant have more then 6 poke's at a time

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Probably not since we have seen once what actually happens when you have 6 pokemon with you.
I think the 6-to-a-team is only if they are in Pokeballs. Supposing you had six in balls, and like Ash against gary at the J league, pikachu as the 7th outside, I think thats allowed.

Well it is really strange that Ash kept at that time 7 pokemon, but maybe because Pikachu was not listed in this battle, it received a permission to stay there with Ash's friends.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
If I remember, Damien had like, around 30 to 50 in Charmander, the Stray, and I believe this guy was a trainer too...

And what is the limit on how many Reggie can look after at one time?

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
If I remember, Damien had like, around 30 to 50 in Charmander, the Stray, and I believe this guy was a trainer too...

And what is the limit on how many Reggie can look after at one time?

If I remember correctly when ash caught krabby it was trasported to Oak via the Pokedex so maybe Reggie didn't have one.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Hypothetically, if say, Dawn, catches a seventh Pokemon, would it be transported to Professor Rowan like Ash's was to Oak? Does Rowan also look after Pokemon?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
The short answer is yes. Damien had at least ten Pokemon in Pokeballs with him in " Charmander, the Stray Pokemon ".

The longer answer is that it works on an honor system more or less. From a logical standpoint it just isn't possible for everyone to have PC Connections / Reserves because some Trainers start from rural areas without even a Pokemon Center. In that case they would either make long treks to home to exchange Pokemon or just keep the extra Pokemon on them. There are other more fortunate Trainers who have Pokedexes and connections that allow them to keep a fairly small party at will. They could always send their Pokemon home or exchange them whenever.

Of course there's a reason why they limited it to six. Having just six Pokemon to feed, groom, and keep up the health of is a lot easier on a Pokemon Trainer then having twenty or thirty at once. When Trainers send their Pokemon into reserves they're having someone else do all of those tasks for them. Professor Oak went in great detail about how he cares for every single Pokemon on his ranch the first time Ash returned to Pallet Town.

Hypothetically, if say, Dawn, catches a seventh Pokemon, would it be transported to Professor Rowan like Ash's was to Oak?

Just a Guess: It would go to Twinleaf Town Pokemon Center for Joanna to pick up. I don't think Professor Rowan looks after Pokemon since he doesn't appear to have the space to do so. That means Trainers in Sinnoh would have to use their houses or other means to 'Oak' their Pokemon. It's been shown that Nurse Joy can act as a Pseudo-Professor for Starting Trainers who can't reach a laboratory to get their Starting Pokemon so I'd imagine she'd be capable of handling Pokemon long enough for them to be taken to individual Trainer Reserves.

randomspot555

There was a bunch of stuff referenced, explained,and implied when they met Bill at the Lighthouse early on in Kanto that basically was never referenced again. 7th+captures with a full party getting automatically transferred back to...somewhere, Mewtwo being on Bill's door, the on-going sub-plot of Giant Anime Pokemon (and the implication that Dragonite was an unknown Pokemon), and a bunch of other stuff.

I think it's a good theory saying these rules only apply to those with Pokedexes and participating in some sort of competitive league. We've seen many grunts for evil teams carrying around dozens of Zubats, for example. And keep in mind, Pokedexes seem to be easier to get in the anime. In the games, they're very, very rare, and are a work in progress. In the anime, the Pokemon a trainer sees is likely to already be identified and have info on it.

harryheart

And keep in mind, Pokedexes seem to be easier to get in the anime. In the games, they're very, very rare, and are a work in progress. In the anime, the Pokemon a trainer sees is likely to already be identified and have info on it.

I'm thinking that this is probably a factor actually and will affect the amount you can have on the party because now I can remember either Misty or Brock telling Ash that it was League rules that you can only have 6 Pokemon. You would think he would've known but he was a bit naive.

That aside it's the Pokedex that enters you into the competition so can then probably detect how many you've caught and I suppose if you're no longer participating in one of these competitions then it's okay. Secondly when Aipom went with Ash to Sinnoh he left out if his ball if remember correctly and had to have it transfered over by Oak so it probably means that as long as they're not in balls you can.​

But remember that in Kanto when Ash captured Krabby, it just teleported to the PC out of nowhere. If a trainer holds the 7th ball, it could just get transfered back to PC like that. But it is only shown when "captured," so we can't be sure. What happened when Ash caught 30 Tauros at the Safari Zone? I can't remember whether he held 30 balls on himself or all transferred to PC. But if he held those balls, I believe one could have 7th.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
But what in the case of 'pet' pokémon? Like Misty's togepi, and other 'babies' that aren't ever used in battle. Like say, if a trainer had six pokemon, could they still carry a baby one around with them, that they never intend to use in battle, that is merely there, as aforementioned, as a pet.

What then?

Trainers are usually responsible enough to know not to skirt the " 6 Pokemon " honorary rule even though they could technically carry the seventh " pet " Pokemon around. The point is illustrated by the Larvitar that Ash had shortly. Even though Ash never actually captured Larvitar he never had more then six Pokemon in his party while he cared for Larvitar.

The same applied for Misty. Even though Togepi was never shown to be officially captured she had exactly five Pokemon (not including Togepi) in her party before resorting to reserves in " The Misty Mermaid: Staryu, Starmie, Horsea, Goldeen, and Psyduck.

So what about people who only have 'Pet Pokemon'? Normally a person has less then six pets so this would never become an issue for them. In cases where they have six or more " pets " then they'll likely just take the step to make it official and capture them. So what about farmers / ranchers? I'd imagine it'll be the same situation as Ash's Tauros. The farmer is actually a 'Trainer' (in the sense that they're official) and captured their herd but never keep them in their Pokeballs.

harryheart

So what about farmers / ranchers? I'd imagine it'll be the same situation as Ash's Tauros. The farmer is actually a 'Trainer' (in the sense that they're official) and captured their herd but never keep them in their Pokeballs.

I'm liking this idea! I suppose it porbably is possible - a bit like when Phanpy followed Ash because they can't exactly be teleported or traced without being in their PokeBalls I assume. I'm a tad confused about the whole system though, why is it that people would have to follow league rules if they're not in the leageue or contest!​

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
Just a Guess: It would go to Twinleaf Town Pokemon Center for Joanna to pick up. I don't think Professor Rowan looks after Pokemon since he doesn't appear to have the space to do so. That means Trainers in Sinnoh would have to use their houses or other means to 'Oak' their Pokemon. It's been shown that Nurse Joy can act as a Pseudo-Professor for Starting Trainers who can't reach a laboratory to get their Starting Pokemon so I'd imagine she'd be capable of handling Pokemon long enough for them to be taken to individual Trainer Reserves.

The episode where Ash got Krabby pretty clearly stated that a Pokémon gets sent to who you got your Pokédex from, if I remember right. And judging by some of these fillers lately, most Trainers have a Pokédex. I'd imagine Rowan just keeps them in their balls normally, instead of letting them roam around like Oak does.

And while this contradicts May keeping them at her parents' house, remember thta when she caught her seventh Pokémon, she had already left a few behind in Petalburg. I'd imagine if she caught the seventh while already having a full team, it would go to Birch's lab.

Darkstorm16

I think really that the extra pokemon a trainer carries is more than likely sent to either their home or a nearby ranch like Paul's extras go to his home in Veilstone while Ash's goes to Professor Oak. Although each city could also have one specific place that carries extra pokemon for each trainers because its also odd that Reggie not only takes care of Paul's pokemon but other trainers pokemon as well so I think every city has a places for all the trainer's pokemon to be taken care of. As for coordinators and trainers who don't have the dexes, I don't think they are not under league rules (which they said in the beginning of the series that league rules state a trainer can only hold 6 pokemon at a time) I don't think they have to follow those rules or else what would've happened to Ursula's Wormadam. The storage is not really fully explained but atleast they don't make the pokemon seem like just data like a Digimon type deal here.