• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it time to do away with the Elite Four Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Yeah that's what i'd like to see, like the Battle Dome in Hoenn.

I think the Elite 4's main problem is that the levels are too low!! It's so easy to use your starter for pretty much the whole thing without even having to train it. In future, the last gym should have its strongest Pokemon at about Lv70 or just below, then the E4 champion should have their strongest well into the late 80s.
I remember having to train hard in Yellow. The hardest game EVER.

Actually when I face the E4 I am a good 10-15 levels under them.

Serbaayuu

Pokemon Collector
But still 70s and 80s against 50s...Not much of a chance we'd have.

True. Maybe Victory Road should be longer, or, I dunno, help your Pokemon in general level up better than they do? I mean it's a cave so it's mostly Ground/Rock Pokemon, so of course you're gonna be going through with Empoleon or whatever Grass/other type you like to use against Rock, giving that one or two that you use all the EXP. So what they could do is make Victory Road have different areas; fire, water, grass, that'd get you using other Pokemon and help them to level up. Also like I said, make it longer and mebbe add a PokeCenter in the middle to help out.

Or they could make it feel like less of a chore (I'm sure plenty of people just stock up on Repels before heading in and try to dash their way through)--maybe make it part of the story? So instead of "Urg, another cave before I can finish the freakin' game," you would have "Oh, a cave and plot point. Maybe with a special Pokemon or item at the end?" Kind of like how in Red/Blue/Yellow you actually wanted to go through Victory Road so that you could get Moltres. (I still hate the GBA remakes for moving that bird)

NINJA PENGUIN2

<-- YOU WILL BE MINE
I think making the E4's pokemon levels go higher will just mean people will get bored trying to level there team up to say late 70's! i think hey should add another e4 member (making it the E5) this would mean its harder to win, but doesn't mean you need to level your team up for hours on end. Or they could make the victory road longer and have different type areas Like Serbaayuu said.

Lucario_Dragon

Theres no need to make them 70s first time. The player will have to train for ages for some at least some ease. I prefere what they did in leafgreen/firered and what i think they have done in platinum, strengthen them after each successful attempt.
I like the tournament idea but no wifi as whoever is the champ probably wont battle or will use ubers.

BCVM22

After you get the 8 badges, they should have a tournament and if you win the torunament then you can go face the elite 4.

You're basically suggesting they make it the Elite Eight or Elite Ten or whatever - a single-elimination tournament would not differ at all from the Elite Four but for some window dressing.

brandyjay

GET IN THE BAG
I honestly think that a tournament format would be a nice addition to the games. Notice I said "addition", not "replacement". The E4's fine the way they are. Just make the tournament a qualification in order to face the E4. It wouldn't be fair to just let every Tom, Dick, and Harry who gets through the (pathetically easy) Victory Road face them.

I want to agree with this but have noticed that what would happen if you get beat early on and have to leave the tournament, would it just start again. If it were to run on abasis of date time it could actualy make sense, because in my opinion the game world shouldn't revolve solely around you.

Jaguar297

I'm back!
Really, there is too much Elite Four. They really should replace it with tournaments, there would be more to battle, and it would be more funner. Honestly, Tournaments are not really awesome, might take a while(Due to that you lost, you restart at one.........) But, with good Pokemon, your unstoppable. They shouldn't take rematches so then you can finally be the champion. Maybe something like, you actually become the champion and stay there, or unlock some stuff and you get to battle trainers, and if you lose, you must defeat them again, so you can remain title of the champion ect... ect.... really this is the longest I typed on SPPf!!!

Serbaayuu

Pokemon Collector
If it were to run on a basis of date time it could actually make sense, because in my opinion the game world shouldn't revolve solely around you.

How true and how hopeless.

Pokemon games will always revolve around the player. Imagine this: a rabid Pokemon-addicted child is going to miss a special in-game happening that is happening today because he can't access his DS.

I don't think the creators would risk that kind of thing. Or stop being lazy long enough to add a real-time event system anyway.

lindsy95

FC: 4428-2451-8791
I agree with most of the people here...but its been the same for so long..And isnt there a tournament in the Battle Fronteir?

randomspot555

I agree with most of the people here...but its been the same for so long..And isnt there a tournament in the Battle Fronteir?

Or Battle Tower or whatever.

Remember, many players go up to the E4, and then pretty much stop outside of battling/trading with their friends. Making it much harder or longer isn't to their benefit.

And as said...two paragraphs ago, the tournament style is basically there in the Battle Tower, and even more so in the Battle Frontier in Plat.

pharaohguy530

The one and only.
Like people have probably said already, I think they should make it similar to the anime. You know, Battle Dome wise, a bunch of battles, and then if you beat them all, you can face the E4, or you can win a trophy to put in your room...

And then with that trophy you can face the E4 and the champion if you'd like.

Lengthening Victory Road would be cool too :D It'd get annoying, but it would be much more of a challenge.

What I believe should happen is that the Elite Four does not just end up being restricted to certain types, but should be based instead on various strategies, like sweeping, stalling, etc. It's more subtle than direct types, but it would certainly make things more interesting. Have one specialize in Physical Attackers, one Defenders, one Special Attackers, and one Speedsters.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
What I believe should happen is that the Elite Four does not just end up being restricted to certain types, but should be based instead on various strategies, like sweeping, stalling, etc. It's more subtle than direct types, but it would certainly make things more interesting. Have one specialize in Physical Attackers, one Defenders, one Special Attackers, and one Speedsters.

That reminds me of Norman's gym in Hoenn, what with the different trainers specializing in different strategies and whatnot.

Red Jr.

Banned
Or at least, win the tournament BEFORE u could face the E4- like in the anime.

But the guys in the tournament should be around the low 60s, while the E4 can be around Red's Level in G/S/C.

Sweet mother of God that would be a nice challenge :D

Last edited:

PokeN3rd

Not Gem King Kilik
I think..why should it limit your options. Are you saying that you can only use certain pokemon and certain moves against them. If you go up against someone in Wi-Fi, or in a tournament, you don't just build your team around their team, you don't know what it is going to be. You use your team, and try to work around it. The same with the game (unless you use a guide before you beat the main quest of the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.