• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it time to do away with the Elite Four Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

But the guys in the tournament should be around the low 60s, while the E4 can be around Red's Level in G/S/C.

They wouldn't do that. This is still a kid's game first and foremost and even the toughest challenge isn't going to be something that a seven-year-old can't handle.

It seems strange that someone would quit playing the games because of the elite four...
I mean, I know it hasn't really changed much in setup, but, there are several larger reasons to stop playing...

francineh

This forum has eaten five posts, and now I'm getting mad <.<

In anycase, I'll retype my arguement in short.

I'm not for simply increasing levels, as that just lengthens the game needlessly. The problem is not that the level isn't high enough, just that the group don't know how to use their weapons and moves properly.

The way I see it, here's why that is...first people would like a stronger Elite Four and Champion. However, you can't just do that within the present system. Why?

The current game design has the Elite Four acting as a tag team trainer squad made to wear down the challenger so that the Champion can finish them off. On other words, the Four are not meant to be the actual challenge. Just mean to harrass you, make you lose some PP and health. This of course is all rather useless as you can bring an army of potions with you....anyway. <.<

If you want to make the Elite Four more powerful (as they should be to live up to the billing), you need to alter the system so that they are individually powerful enough to pose a serious problem to the player. To do that, you need to do away with the no autohealing to the player, and program the AI with some basic strategy combinations - and with only four options, that should be child's play for them. I love the idea about apply weather conditions as well...

"It's seems this first Round Match will just begin - and wow, it's being fought on such a SUNNY DAY!"

As for child's play...while I highly doubt the vast majority of players are anywhere NEAR seven, and it only makes good business sense to deal with your target market - the inclusion of several more battle arrangements, pokemon, contests....if the makers think they can handle that, the kids can take this on easily.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

There should be the tournament like the Anime and then when you win you vs. the Elit four then Champ and if you win you get a star on your trainer card.The elite four by it self is getting old.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Hmm... I wouldn't mind a switch to a tournament a la the anime, but I'd still like an Elite Four to battle if I want.

Blue_Ditto_256

Fail on a Stick
The Elite Four and Champion seem to me to be unimpressive compared to some other video game final bosses, and the last battle with the evil team seems like much more of a climax. I think the Elite Four should come before the final battle with the evil team and a legendary Pokemon, and that the end credits should come after the evil team is defeated.

sam_h12

WHERE IS PIDGEOT?!
I also think there should be more to do between the Elite 4 and the 8th badge. Eg it would've been nice if the Elite 4 was on the NE island, and you have to go through all that Heatran stuff (but there'd be more to it than there is now) and you can train and catch some non-sinnohs etc, Buck gives you Waterfall at some point, and THEN you head off to the Elite 4, wherever it may be. Then when you get to the Elite 4 you feel refreshed with a whole new team to use etc...

The Elite Four and Champion seem to me to be unimpressive compared to some other video game final bosses, and the last battle with the evil team seems like much more of a climax. I think the Elite Four should come before the final battle with the evil team and a legendary Pokemon, and that the end credits should come after the evil team is defeated.

5 words:
GOLDEN SUN: THE LOST AGE :')

Last edited by a moderator:

BCVM22

The Elite Four and Champion seem to me to be unimpressive compared to some other video game final bosses.

That'd be your primary error in thinking. Pokémon isn't other video games - it is what it is and always has been. The fight against the evil team is a component of the game's progression, but Pokémon is and always has been about your progression and growth as a trainer, which is why the Elite Four always serves as the "end." You don't set out from Pallet/New Bark/Littleroot/Twinleaf with intentions of stopping criminals and saving the world - you leave home to follow "your" dream of becoming a great Pokémon Trainer. You get embroiled in the various evil plots almost by accident and even if you've defeated Giovanni in the Silph Co. building/defeated the Rocket leader in the Goldenrod Radio Tower/stopped Kyogre or Groudon from destroying the world/defeated Cyrus and stopped Dialga or Palkia or Giratina from going berserk, you still haven't accomplished that goal.

Again, it's been this way since the very beginning and for good reason. Pokémon is not other games and to do what you suggest would be contrary to the underlying goal of the core titles.

Serbaayuu

Pokemon Collector
The fight against the evil team is a component of the game's progression, but Pokémon is and always has been about your progression and growth as a trainer, which is why the Elite Four always serves as the "end." You don't set out from Pallet/New Bark/Littleroot/Twinleaf with intentions of stopping criminals and saving the world - you leave home to follow "your" dream of becoming a great Pokémon Trainer.

True. But who says a Pokemon Trainer can't decide: "Hmm. This team is doing evil things. I should stop them." Especially because that trainer is now the Champion. Like I said earlier, wouldn't it make sense for the Pokemon Champion of the continent to help out the police in various Pokemon-related crimes?

If the E4 happened to come before the final Team X battle, there's no reason it can't make sense.

PinkShellosDude

The Elite Four sucks. What if you want to be a collector, or a breeder, or a contest trainer? You shouldn't have to be forced to become a strong trainer and beat the Elite Four before you can progress in the game.

DarkishOne

Personaly as a battle type of guy I think it should be a tournament to become the champion, and the E4 can be a side quest after that.
For the contest people 8 contest league badges that you get from contest hall leaders and a contest tournament, as for the normal ribbons, you can get those the normal way.

This way you get a huge tourny, as well as an option to be a battler or a contest superstar story line

I like your idea but I like the Elite 4 too! Maybe they should have the tournament like you said and then if you win the tournament you face the Elite 4.

Kariachi

Power Is Beautiful
I have, an idea. *jazz hands*

Okay, you've beat the gym challenge, you've gone through Victory Road, what next? I say you get two options. You can choose to battle the Elite Four and then the Champion, or, or, or, you could enter a tounament. Entering and beating the tournament(with random trainers around your level) would also allow you the right the challenge the Champion, but would be much more challenging. And, if you lose on your first try for either, you have the choice of trying the other one instead. This way, you can still have the easy choice for the new players and little kids, but us experienced players have something more challenging to do.

Also, I like the idea of being randomly called on to defend your title as Champion of your region.

Is my idea that pathetic? Can't even be considered?

lucoleon lova

I think after you get out of the victory road, you should battle the e4. not only you, but other random people would go through also. those of like the 20 or whatever amount of people that go with you that beat the entire e4 get into the tournament. then the tournament beggins. it keeps the idea of random people battling you, but you get an idea of the people you battle.
also, i do like the idea of defending your title

loonatic

Smart and sneaky
I think most of you have forgotten who the mainstream audience is here: children. Granted, it is not only younger children who play the Pokemon games, but the makers cannot simply change the format for those of us who have been playing Pokemon for years just because some may be growing bored with it. My advice to you is to either pick up a different game or deal with it.

I agree with the idea of having an anime-style tournament in order to challenge the Elite Four and then challenging the Champion for the title. Either that or increasing the difficulty of the Elite Four every once in awhile. For instance, every ten wins against the Elite Four and Champion raises the level of their Pokemon a few levels.

Kariachi

Power Is Beautiful
What, honestly? Yeah. They aren't going to give you a choice of two different ways of finishing the game. It's just now how it works.

Thank you. That's all I needed to know.

Noobus Maximus

Biggest. N00b. EVAR.
It should be like this:
3 Random Trainers with random pokemon
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
5 Random Trainers with random pokemon
Champion

22 Battles total. I would enjoy myself so very much.

the elite trainer

Warrior Of Darkness
It should be like this:
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
Champion

Then the pokemon must be 40-50 then or it'd be to hard.

Last edited:

randomspot555

It should be like this:
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
Random member of the E4
Champion

22 battles with no PokeCenter visits and no switching or healing (outside of items)?

This is for kids. They have a high tolerance for repetitive, but after 6, even I'd just want to say "When will this end?"

Status
Not open for further replies.