• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it worth buying a n3ds xl for these games?

vitormgadc

I already have an og 3ds to play 3ds games but it has been left unused since I bought it with Pokemon Y. I haven't even played that game.

Now that I'm back in the Pokemon hype train after beating Let's Go on my Switch, and want to play what I missed, which is basically everything after the DS games, I would like to get opinions from you if it's worth getting a new 3ds xl for both size and performance reasons to play Omega Ruby and Ultra Sun, as well as Pokemon Y.

What do you guys think?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I already have an og 3ds to play 3ds games but it has been left unused since I bought it with Pokemon Y. I haven't even played that game.

Now that I'm back in the Pokemon hype train after beating Let's Go on my Switch, and want to play what I missed, which is basically everything after the DS games, I would like to get opinions from you if it's worth getting a new 3ds xl for both size and performance reasons to play Omega Ruby and Ultra Sun, as well as Pokemon Y.

What do you guys think?

Yea it is. And it'll be useful if you want to trade between games. The og 3ds is still pretty useful. I use mine along with my 3ds XL for trading and whatnot.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I have both a 3DS XL and New 3DS XL and it’s definitely beneficial to trade among the games especially with the VC games. Some games can only be played on the New 3DS or run much better on the system. Plus you can play Earthbound and Sega Game Gear games on the New 3DS which is really nice.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Just a heads up. Buying a any type of pre-owned or new 3DS out of box version means you most likely get a standard 4 Gigabyte SDHC Memory Card.

Sorry for my language: The but the 4GB size capacity is absolutely pitiful. It can barely hold the install data for pokemon games like Omega Ruby. Even if you uninstall a large game cartridge like Omega Ruby, then your SDHC card will still not have enough space for newer games from 2013 onwards, including downloaded versions games like Pokemon X Version or Ultra Sun along with their necessary update patch.
The new games are just such big GB storage hogs. Thats just how badly they affect the 4GB cards. Why Nintendo adds these limited SD cards i dont understand.

I inmediately bought a Kingston 32GB Canvas Select Micro SDHC card on a discount season when i could to rectify this. Most 32/64 gigabytes are at the higher end of what storage a Nintendo 3DS can handle. Kingston is one of the faster Micro SDHC brands as well. No formatting needed just plug in and i still only had Omega Ruby i didn't have to worry about lost saves.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Word. I went with Sandisk 32gb ones for my 3ds's. They've worked well with them too.

Pokefan_1987

Also no formatting needed in a pc to install it, just popped in the the Sandisk card in and i still only had Omega Ruby atm the moment. I didn't have to worry about lost saves.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

3ds pokemon games r splendid. Played many times. Especially gen 6. Gen 7 less cuz of the cut scenes

Yes Gen 7 Ultra games has plenty a lot of scenes, it's the worst by far.
But watch out for Rotom-Dex or else he'll will develop his annoying behaviour pattern. Even if it's interrupted by doors or leaving a area then he restarts his 5 second message.

Once he is like this, because of hidden affection bond with him he'll never stops chiming in every few minutes. It's way worse than he reminds you to save or heal up.

"Hey *name* Here's where i give you advice you didn't ask for."

Last edited: