• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is it worth it for Shroomish to learn Spore

VIA

<<< Recent Shiny
So Im doing a run of ruby to Sr for the legendary golems and I want a sleeper. Im debating wether to try and level up Shroomish to 54 to learn Spore because I don't want a Pokemon to baby because on shiny runs I tend to rush through the game.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'd say that it's worth it. Spore is very handy when catching legends, plus it's a really good move to have on a Breloom moveset afterwards.

Kalosian

So long
I agree, it will definitely be worth it once you finish training it. Spore is without any doubt the best move for putting legendaries to sleep, the accuracy of all other sleeping moves will usually leave a disappointing result.

VIA

<<< Recent Shiny
Ahh I see. One more thing for this. Shroomish is an awesome pokemon with an awesome move that may or may not poison, put to sleep, or paralyze that shiny legendary when hit by a physical attack. Effect spore is what its called and this worrys me due to the fact that lets say I send him out there to sleep another regi and the regi is faster than him and down to what 2 hp? The regi hits him and effect spore activates and he gets poisoned. I could see leveling him up to be useful to put on a Smeargle so that Smeargle could be a good shiny hunter but what about Breloom? Is there anything you can put on him in Ruby to negate his ability at will?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Ahh I see. One more thing for this. Shroomish is an awesome pokemon with an awesome move that may or may not poison, put to sleep, or paralyze that shiny legendary when hit by a physical attack. Effect spore is what its called and this worrys me due to the fact that lets say I send him out there to sleep another regi and the regi is faster than him and down to what 2 hp? The regi hits him and effect spore activates and he gets poisoned. I could see leveling him up to be useful to put on a Smeargle so that Smeargle could be a good shiny hunter but what about Breloom? Is there anything you can put on him in Ruby to negate his ability at will?

I don't think there's a way to negate Breloom's Effect Spore, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. By the time your Breloom reaches level 54, it will probably be faster than the Regis, but if it isn't for some reason, you can just level it up more. And if one of the Regis does end up poisoned, I would just continue to throw balls. If it faints, just reset and try again.

Smeargle is useful for catching Pokemon, since it can learn moves like Spore and False Swipe. If you can get one, then you might find it more useful than Breloom. But if you don't want to trade for a Smeargle, Breloom is fine (and plus Breloom's better at battling).

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
I really recommend Breloom with Spore, it is faster, the only thing you need then is a False Swiper (Sceptile can learn it, right?).

cantab

I don't think there's a way to negate Breloom's Effect Spore, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. By the time your Breloom reaches level 54, it will probably be faster than the Regis, but if it isn't for some reason, you can just level it up more. And if one of the Regis does end up poisoned, I would just continue to throw balls. If it faints, just reset and try again.
If one is SRing for shinies, that is not an acceptable option. I'd say Breloom's too much of a risk for this case.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
If one is SRing for shinies, that is not an acceptable option. I'd say Breloom's too much of a risk for this case.

I guess you can get a pokemon with psycho shift, trick or switcheroo so either you get the status or it'll be healed by a trick/switchroo lum berry.

Bbran5

Yes, it is worth for Shroomish to learn Spore. With a 100% accuracy rate of putting the opponent to sleep, I think it is one of the best moves in the game. You are looking to catch legendary Pokemon, so it will be really helpful.

Aquarelle

Staff member

You're right about that. Sorry, I totally forgot he was soft resetting for shinies when I typed my post. :redface:

So VIA, it actually would be better to use Smeargle when you're catching shinies since you won't have to worry about Effect Spore poisoning a shiny Pokemon.

VIA

<<< Recent Shiny
Hmm ok well I killed a shiny Zubat today in this file so I decided to start the file over to SR for one of my favorite shines, shiny blaziken. Thanks anyway. Im thinking of raising Breloom to that level and then transferring a smeargle from something like FR or LG then teaching it Spore and using it.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
I really recommend Breloom with Spore, it is faster, the only thing you need then is a False Swiper (Sceptile can learn it, right?).

Yes. Shroomish with Spore? Nah, only in-game. Breloom with Spore is better in reliability considering it's speed and strong attack stats.
Yes, Sceptile can learn False Swipe.