• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Mallow character necessary for SM anime cast?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mao's fondness for cooking could've definitely been expanded more in SM's earlier episodes, and it's a shame that Pofflés don't exist in Alola, otherwise Mao could've entered baking competitions based on those treats.

keepitsimple

site of lies
The cooking goal wasn't exactly a dry well. We could have looked into stuff like the Poke Beans just in terms of game stuff, not to mention lots of amusing plays on how food is made (where exactly DOES meat come from in the Pokemon world?). There's tons of Pokemon with dex entries related to food that she could have caught and given her employment more personality.
Maybe they're vegans and it's some weird mock meat

DatsRight

If she just had something for her own: her own running gag or just some quirks she would have been a much more interesting character.

Meh. They already run the Rowlet smacking gag into the ground, so much that it's also becoming a chekhov's skill for whenever Mallow gets to do something remotely clever (her role in both the Ultra Space battle and the dance competition pretty much amounted to that in the end).

Brock had his romance running gag, but it didn't really give him much more of a role. Clemont's inventing was SLIGHTLY more developed, it made him useful, if mostly just in the form of DEM gadgets for whatever situation at hand.

You need something more developed than just a gag in terms of quirks, otherwise they become a one hit wonder. Ash is reckless for example, sometimes for brief gags, sometimes to start off plots, but it's not ALL he has. He has many quirks and what's more, said quirks give him character agency.

Mallow was quirkier in the Sandshrew episode for example, but still thoroughly superfluous. She still isn't able to drive a plot like Ash and some of the others do (In Pokemon anime, plot drives YOU :p) thus she often gets sidelined in the wilder plots and instead is given very dumbed down not-very-relevent challenges like TR where formula decides pretty much everything (the recent one was clunky even by their standards).

Notice how even in episodes like the Ultra Guardian ones where they try to make the whole group useful, Mallow is often getting the scraps or just following the directions of another character while Ash, Kiawe, Lillie and Sophocles have all took turns having some noteworthy contribution to the overall strategy.

Last edited:

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
She was meant to be "big sister", but it didn't quite work out.

Still, someone had to play the role of cook. It's just that they didn't need a cook as badly as usual this time.

So yeah, I'm afraid she'll get the morose distinction of Most Useless Girl Ever...<_<

DatsRight

The problem is that there are several 'big sibling' types in this series that Mallow is struggling to compete with. Ash himself is regularly in 'onii-chan' mode with the companions.

I feel like Mallow should have been more assertive and willing to think up team plans herself. They don't often allow her to be that clever. Kiawe for example is the 'Team Dad' but it shows in how he sometimes gets to demonstrate intellect and leadership, and help with strategies instead of just follow what Ash or someone else tells him. Even Lillie and Sophocles contribute as brains more often. I don't think Ash is damaged by this, sure he's the main character, but he's fine not being the leader and providing his assistance for another character's plan outside when it's his turn to have a moment of brilliance.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Thing is, references to using Pokemon as food have dropped ever since Kanto. I don't know if that was the influence of that one writer who passed away after the third movie.

Yes, it probably was. His name was Shudo, and he didn't pass away after the third movie. He passed away in 2010. He quit the anime after the third movie.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
If one wants to be really technical, aside from Ash (the protagonist) and Lillie (the deuteragonist/de facto Pokégirl), none of the main cast members are necessary. You could demote Kiawe, Lana, Sophocles, and Mallow to supporting characters or even recurring characters and what would be drastically different about the overall plot of the series? Aside from having fewer Ultra Guardians, not much would be different.

Mallow does have a role on the cast. She essentially serves as the "Team Mom"—even more than Kiawe serves as the "Team Dad" (and I would actually argue that he's not really the "Team Dad"). When she is in the foreground, it's often as emotional support for one or more of the other characters, which is not necessarily a bad role. She may be in the background much of the time, but arguably, so are most of the other main characters. It's one of the downsides of having such a large main cast.

However, Mallow doesnt have any role (excluding being older sister to Lilie in early episodes) and now, when everyone has a clear goal and accomplishments, she have got a short end of stick.
You make it sound as though Mallow does not have a clear goal or accomplishments, when she actually does. Her goal is to make the Aina Cafeteria the number one restaurant in Alola, and she has actively made a step toward that goal by winning the Alola Bread Festival in the name of the Aina Cafeteria. Her goal may not be Pokémon-related, but neither is Sophocles's goal (becoming an astronaut), and I don't see people dinging him for that. I get a little tired of people claiming Mallow has done nothing, when she has. Sure, one could argue her accomplishments aren't battle-related (aside from her Pokémon evolving), but she is more than the useless cardboard cutout some people seem to think she is.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Sure, one could argue her accomplishments aren't battle-related (aside from her Pokémon evolving), but she is more than the useless cardboard cutout some people seem to think she is.
Yeah too many people especially @DatsRight are obsessed with battle records in every single thread.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Yeah too many people especially @DatsRight are obsessed with battle records in every single thread.
Not only that, they like to bring their glorious past series as comparisons. I don't really dislike her or any companions, I'm just disappointed the producers/writers aren't doing much to them.

DatsRight

It's not that I expect them to all battle good, it's just if they ARE gonna make them battle routinely I expect them to be entertaining battles, not cheap plot armoured curb stomp battles that don't really elevate their competence or entertainment value in any way. So what if Tsareena is comically OP? What does that do for Mallow as a character or for her development?

It's the same thing for every character they can't find niches and real plots for, they just make them cream jobbers non stop. It's boring.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It's not that I expect them to all battle good, it's just if they ARE gonna make them battle routinely I expect them to be entertaining battles, not cheap plot armoured curb stomp battles that don't really elevate their competence or entertainment value in any way. So what if Tsareena is comically OP? What does that do for Mallow as a character or for her development?

It's the same thing for every character they can't find niches for, they just make them cream jobbers non stop. It's boring.
Most of the main SM cast does not battle routinely, so I think your argument falls a little flat here. Mallow is just yet another main character who does not routinely participate in battles, so is it really fair to use battles to judge her entire character? Besides, battles against Team Rocket are almost always curb stomps in favor of Ash and his friends—that's not something new to the SM series—so that shouldn't surprise you.

DatsRight

Most of the main SM cast does not battle routinely, so I think your argument falls a little flat here. Mallow is just yet another main character who does not routinely participate in battles, so is it really fair to use battles to judge her entire character? Besides, battles against Team Rocket are almost always curb stomps in favor of Ash and his friends—that's not something new to the SM series—so that shouldn't surprise you.

But it happens every time she is in spotlight, every time she is given a contribution, she gets that. The lowest form of achievement that, like you said, anyone could achieve easily and isn't even connected to her agenda.

I'm just sick of curb stomp battles being treated like some sort of 'quota' for a trainer. They're crap. They're boring. They don't distinguish the character remotely, and they reduce loads of potentially creative plots into something formulaic and dull.

Most of the other characters at least get some episodes they do something rather developed that plays on their niches and gives them character agency, but Mallow is only allowed to go into battles she cannot possibly lose, which is bland and undeveloped. Even the actual battlers get more developed non-battle accomplishments than her (it's ironic that Ash's episodes are more liable to be slice of life than Mallow's). And with the recent episode pushing her in a supporting role this way, I hope they're not gonna force in loads of curb stomp battles as climaxes per episode like the old days just so she can stick out. I'd actually rather she stay a background character and the others do things in a more interesting way if so.

And I'm really betting they'll put in at least one battle with Ash like Serena where Mallow is suddenly on even ground, despite not REMOTELY doing the same amount of work and training Ash has. You can say battling isn't important, but they still treat it like some sort of development and proof of progression that sometimes isn't even there.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Most of the other characters at least get some episodes they do something rather developed that plays on their niches and gives them character agency, but Mallow is only allowed to go into battles she cannot possibly lose, which is bland and undeveloped. Even the actual battlers get more developed non-battle accomplishments than her (it's ironic that Ash's episodes are more liable to be slice of life than Mallow's).
Did you read post #47 by @Satomine Night, which is what spurred my initial comment about you?

DatsRight

Regardless I just don't think it's a good storytelling format when you try to make said character an actual protagonist with spotlight episodes, meaning nearly all their's (and even some others they have supporting roles) have absolutely boring and repetitive third acts.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, aside from Lillie neither of them are really necessary for the show, but there we are.

I'm ok with Mallow, honestly. I like her slightly better than Lana, at least.

Litleonid

She was supposed to be the big sister of the group and the cook, but honestly, she's hardly needed. The group isn't really traveling Alola constantly and Ash often has a nice cozy home to stay at, which eliminates a need for the designated cook and we don't do anything really interesting with her goal of becoming one. Mallow doesn't really do much as a big sister and it just falls flat. Most of the episode focused on her are incredibly bland also. She's probably the most boring companion Ash has ever had, along with others like Tracy. The series wouldn't be any different if you removed her or Sophocles. Lana is okay, though the series only really needed Lillie and Kiawe.

DatsRight

She was supposed to be the big sister of the group and the cook, but honestly, she's hardly needed. The group isn't really traveling Alola constantly and Ash often has a nice cozy home to stay at, which eliminates a need for the designated cook and we don't do anything really interesting with her goal of becoming one. Mallow doesn't really do much as a big sister and it just falls flat. Most of the episode focused on her are incredibly bland also. She's probably the most boring companion Ash has ever had, along with others like Tracy. The series wouldn't be any different if you removed her or Sophocles. Lana is okay, though the series only really needed Lillie and Kiawe.

I'm willing to accept Sophocles since his chemistry with Ash is actually pretty decent, being one of those 'so different yet so similar' types that still finds mutual ground with him in places, not to mention the episodes he is the star having some fun 'brains and brawn' teamwork. He's a pretty decent example of how to make someone bounce off of the main character.

Mallow kinda started off like this, having a bit of like mindedness with Ash similar to Dawn while being more willing to chide him whenever he fooled around, but recently, it feels like Ash only manages to pad her screen time, and sometimes fail at something she's supposed to look remarkable at like cooking or dancing. This could risk being dangerous for the show if they exacerbate it in the future, since dumbing down the main character just to make a new less developed character look good over finding some developed chemistry for them can be cheap and destructive. Mallow already over relies on TR for a 'straw loser' mechanic.

Slapstick-Olivia

I wonder why so many people call out Sophocles to be as useless and unnecessary as Mallow. I mean, he got a lot of episodes focussing on him that tell us a bit more about him and he is pretty useful with his inventions. Plus he can be a kinda of fun character.

Sometimes I have a feeling that people do not like him because he is not a fanservice driven character like many other characters of the anime. And if this is the case, that would be really sad.

D

Deleted member 384931

I'm willing to accept Sophocles since his chemistry with Ash is actually pretty decent, being one of those 'so different yet so similar' types that still finds mutual ground with him in places, not to mention the episodes he is the star having some fun 'brains and brawn' teamwork. He's a pretty decent example of how to make someone bounce off of the main character.

Mallow kinda started off like this, having a bit of like mindedness with Ash similar to Dawn while being more willing to chide him whenever he fooled around, but recently, it feels like Ash only manages to pad her screen time, and sometimes fail at something she's supposed to look remarkable at like cooking or dancing. This could risk being dangerous for the show if they exacerbate it in the future, since dumbing down the main character just to make a new less developed character look good over finding some developed chemistry for them can be cheap and destructive. Mallow already over relies on TR for a 'straw loser' mechanic.
Agreed Soph is a good
I wonder why so many people call out Sophocles to be as useless and unnecessary as Mallow. I mean, he got a lot of episodes focussing on him that tell us a bit more about him and he is pretty useful with his inventions. Plus he can be a kinda of fun character.

Sometimes I have a feeling that people do not like him because he is not a fanservice driven character like many other characters of the anime. And if this is the case, that would be really sad.
I know right. I like him a lot! I just think many people see him as a Clemont 2.0. ....

Xuxuba

I don't mind that she doesn't battle, i just wish she had more development.

Even cooking can lead to develoment if done right, but the writers seem to have a problem with goals that don't involve big competitions. I think they can't figure out how to use them to develop the character and that is why there aren't that many episodes focusing on goals like that, which is just weird because they keep introducing a bunch of goals that don't involve competitions even though they have no idea what to do with them.

Unfortunately, Mallow has it worse because of the series' format and it's huge supporting cast.