• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is May overrated?

Is may overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Dont know

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

Prime Wolf

I got a Wii!
I personally think she is, i have never liked her, she has a boring character, a typical teenager, thinks shes the best, sometimes hyper, i just dont think shes all that good, yet she has an amzing amount of fans, i do not see what is so special about her =/

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
She's not a bad character, but she is overrated. Her fans behave like she's the Goddess and Saviour of the anime.

Phantom_Bugsy

So hot he's on fire.
I sense flamewar.

Yes she is, for the reason Jo-Jo stated.

Not to mention everywhere I go on the forums someone's always going WHOAMG MAY IS SO COOL!!!!!!1

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
She's meant to be the Ash-type character for girls.

Naturally if you don't like leading characters that start out as naive and clueless you're not going to like her.

Ash and May went through most of the same learning experiences, they start off where they don't know what the hell they're doing and by the end they're experienced trainers in their respective competitions.

Some of you act like you don't know how a piece of fiction works. This is the same stereotype that nearly EVERY writer uses with young characters. Jesus Christ.

I personnaly think she is overrated. And over powered. If her Pokemon were as strong as they SHOULD be she wouldn't have managed to beat Drew or Harley except on a one-on-one using Combusken. But I still enjoy watching her go hyper. Especially in the Petalburg city ep were she attacked Ash with Torchic.

dannyphantomhott

Ash fan girl! Cute!
I gotta say yes, for the reasons mentioned.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
She's meant to be the Ash-type character for girls.

Naturally if you don't like leading characters that start out as naive and clueless you're not going to like her.

Ash and May went through most of the same learning experiences, they start off where they don't know what the hell they're doing and by the end they're experienced trainers in their respective competitions.

Some of you act like you don't know how a piece of fiction works. This is the same stereotype that nearly EVERY writer uses with young characters. Jesus Christ.
What's that got to do with the topic?

WaterKrystal

Master Coordinator
She's not a bad character, but she is overrated. Her fans behave like she's the Goddess and Saviour of the anime.

I agree with Jo-Jo.
Haruka is an ok character, I'm don't really like her, but sometimes she gets to much praise ( from her fans) for me to handle or even understand.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The topic in question had the word 'May' in the title.
And there be your answer missy~ ;)

She is overated these days. While Haruka, like any other character, DOES have some really nice moments that really bring out her personallity, they're usually few and far between. She's suffered in the exact same way as Misty, with her unique traits mellowing out far too much for their own good. All she really has backing her up these days are her contest episodes, which aren't all too frequent.

Which is ironic, because when she was an interesting character with all those really neat little personallity quirks and focus episodes with some decent emotion behind hem, she recieved the most flak. Oh, what a woild~

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!

People say May's overrated but that's what usually happens with leading characters. They get praised because quite frankly, that's what the point of the show is about. AG is about Ash and May and that's why those two characters appear to be overrated.

When all you have otherwise is a stale and boring Brock, Max, and the repetitive Team Rocket, why is it a surprise that many people chose to glorify one of the only fresh character's still on the show?

And that's why people think she's overrated, because we can't possibly glorify one of the only interesting characters on the show anymore. When all you have are boring and stale characters otherwise, May shines above them.

All she really has backing her up these days are her contest episodes, which aren't all too frequent.

Uh, Gravy, the Contest episodes in BF are like 5 episodes apart. Looking at the BF episode list after the "beginning filler," there was a May-centric episode like every 3-5 episodes.

Even after the Grand Festival is over they still made more May-centric episodes to keep her interesting rather than having her sit there and do nothing while waiting for Ash to beat Brandon.

Which is ironic, because when she was an interesting character with all those really neat little personallity quirks and focus episodes with some decent emotion behind hem, she recieved the most flak. Oh, what a woild~

That was when the fandom was in the, "May is an idiot! She sucks as a trainer!" and "She replaced Misty!" phase.

Back to my original point, it proves that some people here don't know how a piece of fiction works. Ash and May were purposely written as morons in the beginning of the series so they can develop them into strong trainers as time went on. For some reason, people here cannot realize that.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Soon we are gonna have the "I miss May" phase and the "Hikari is soooo overrated!" phase!

Anyway, I like May, not my favorite, but don't hate her. She does give us some cool episodes.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Ah! So it's ok - right, even - to glorify May because she's so speshul. Anyone who think she's overrated just doesn't understand her. Goddit. :p

High Commander Solomon

This is MADNESS!
If she's the same as every other young character, that means she might not be special as well, and it's possible then that everyone thinking she's special might be overrating her. But things not being able to work both ways is par for the course in these stupid May feuds.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Indeed. Because May's more speshul than anyone else. Never forget that. ;)

And if you still think she's overrated, that just proves that you're illiterate and don't understand how stories work. QED.

The fandom's going to be a weird place come September...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
When Hikari starts acting like a heroine and gets praise from the fandom, people will bash her and call her overrated too. They'll start calling her a "glory hog" for overtaking Ash's role against the villains and so forth.

At least May won't be bashed as much since the Super Contests won't be as shocking as defeating legendaries/Team Galaxy.

Yeah, a bit overrated. But I don't mind. May is still a good character, and I've yet to become bored/annoyed with her. She's certainly something fresh and new, but she's not quite as good as some of the dedicated fans make her out to be.

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

Ridley-X4

UN-LTD AWESOME WORKS
She's fine in the show, it's just that I hate most of her fanbase which are people who want to rape her and stuff.