• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is my Gameboy infected with a virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosColt890

Hey everyone!

Lately, I've been having a troubling issue... I'l start from the beginning...

A few days ago, I decided to replay my old versions of Pokemon Yellow and Red. When I booted Red, there was an old save. The characters name was "STEN". I don't remember using such a name, but since the last time I played the game was ages ago, I thought it was normal and decided to check out the save. I started out at the entrance to the Digglet Tunnel. In the party, there was a Charmander, a Pidgey and a Rattata. The names, however, were really messed up (Ex.: KMNJ UE). It was really odd cause I never gave nicknames to my Pokemon.

I started a new save without any problems. I defeated Misty and went on. However, when I rebooted, the save had reset back to "STEN"!

I decided to boot up yellow. Same thing...
Character's name was "STEN", he was in the entrance to the Digglet Tunnel and in the party there was a Pikachu, a Charmander and a Pidgey and a Rattata. Whenever I rebooted it, the save would go back to "STEN"

I know there are a lot of Creepy Pastas about Pokemon, but I am in no way implying that my game is "haunted".

What I'm afraid is: Did my gameboy get a virus? Did my games get a virus?

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't think GameBoys or the game cartridges can get viruses in the least. It's most likely just the age. The battery may be dying, the save file got corrupted in some way due to the age, or it's your GameBoy. You hadn't played the games in so long, so dust may have gotten in there and messed everything up.

Or it's really just that old. My Yellow version hasn't worked in years, mostly because I might have abused it a bit as a kid, but it's really old, so that was the cause of it failing. Of course, I haven't seen my brothers' old games in a long time either, and I don't know if those still work. Each cartridge is different like that.

So if this keeps up, then your game is glitched, and there's really nothing more you can do. Just mess around with that file to check it out (you might discover some glitches, those are always fun), or just get rid of the cartridges. And of course, you can always make this into a creepypasta about the game being haunted or something, and get something out of it.

32er

TM87? I got TM32 :]
I agree with PikaPika, this feels like a very bad creepypasta.
And it can't get a virus.

Whats a creepy pasta? Can you find a store to replace the battery?

"Creepypasta" is basically a term for scary stories. There are many Pokémon creepypastas that involve some sort of screwed up game. I'm sure stores these days don't sell Gameboy batteries anymore. Pretty much anything older than the Nintendo DS Lite is hard to find (they only sell used Nintendo DS Lites now). Changing the battery probably won't help so just buy a new game.

If this happened on both games, there is probably something wrong with your Game Boy. The games could be fine.

RayquazaLord

There's no special Gameboy cartridge battery. I changed the cartridge in my Blue and my Gold using a regular round, thin battery (can't remember what they are called). I found them Radio Shack, though any local electronic store should have them. Sounds like the issue is an almost-dead battery corrupting a save file. As for them getting viruses, theoretically it's possible since it's a computer program. However, it would have needed to be manipulated by a 3rd party. Since they are yours, most likely it's a battery issue.

richm88

shiny hunter
You could always try what I did with my copy of red yesterday that worked,get the game apart and clean the terminals,clean the terminals in the gameboy,I then melted the solder on both sides of the battery and removed it and the soldered it back down and it works fine now
if you want to replace the battery with a new one they are easy to find,they are cr2023 button cell batteries,only thing is they do not come with the tabs on to solder them down.
there is a website I have come across before that sells the batteries with the tabs already fittes to the battery as soldering bits to the battery is dangerous so its best to buy them already fitted

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I had a similar problem with my Crystal version, IIRC I took it out of my N64 pack prematurely and the text got messed up on my file. It was fine when I restarted, though. I don't think it's necessarily a virus, but probably some sort of software issue. And yeah, the fact that it happened on both of your versions leads me to believe that your Game Boy is the problem, not the cartridges.

Igos263

I had a similar problem with my Crystal version, IIRC I took it out of my N64 pack prematurely and the text got messed up on my file. It was fine when I restarted, though. I don't think it's necessarily a virus, but probably some sort of software issue. And yeah, the fact that it happened on both of your versions leads me to believe that your Game Boy is the problem, not the cartridges.

I believe Mr. Bolt The Cat has the right idea. The system used to play a game isn't usually the cause of problems like this your having Los Colt890. It's likely a sofeware problem withen the

cartridge. For as long as they have existed, both the video game system & the video game device have many things in common. A life span is 1 of those things. Like anything else in

existence it eventually meets death. The cartridge might in a status where it's not really playable as it might have been in the past.

Psychic

Really and truly
Guys, this thread is from June. Please check the dates and don't respond to such ancient threads.

~Psychic

Status
Not open for further replies.